Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Nationwide tire shop for alignment?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 03:05 PM
nba1341
4th Gear Member

Default Nationwide tire shop for alignment?

Hello so i am out of options for alignment my front tires have gone completely bald because of the current settings. I am going to take the car to an alignment shop with the shelby drop settings and request a print out of the car when finished.

Should I stray away from any shelby drop settings to prevent front tire wear or as long as tires are rotated are they good?

I called good year and I asked if they could do a shim alignment. He said upper control arm shims for a 65 mustang? And I said yep and it was 99 dollars

And then my friend works at a ford dealer and he can have the alignment person do it for 32 dollars but its a 40 minute drive which would be on the new tires im about to get.

Should I trust good year/ ford dealer? Also im assuming goodyear would guarantee their alignment for a period of time right?
Old 04-05-2010, 10:12 PM
Jonk67
3rd Gear Member

First, did you do the 1" Shelby/Arning drop to the car? If so, then yes, have them align it to the Shelby specs or the car will steer horrible and the tires will wear worse. The 1" drop puts your tires flatter to the ground for one thing, using the stock alignment will wear them worse with the drop.

It depends on who is actually doing the alignment but I would tend to trust the Ford dealership more since your friend is there to watch. I had NTB do my alignment after putting on new strut rod bushings and left then less than snug, picked the car up, brought it home and checked the SR bushings. I could spin them still, they didn't even tighten them, guy doing the alignment said he didn't know what they were there for!

Make sure whoever does it knows that they have to do more than just run a computer program.
Jon
Old 04-06-2010, 12:14 AM
nba1341
4th Gear Member

Yea the shelby drop has been done on the car for 5+ years
Old 04-06-2010, 02:24 AM
stephen.osborne1
2nd Gear Member

I use Firestone. I paid like 120 bucks for the lifetime alignment... If I don't like the way my tires are wearing or if the wheel is pulling, I can take it back and they'll fix it, free. They don't always have the best technicians, but they'll fix it if you don't like it. And for the price of never having to pay again for another alignment, I'd definately say I've saved Mucho Dinero.
Old 04-06-2010, 03:53 AM
350kmileFord
3rd Gear Member

No, not if the job wasn't done right. And if you have to keep going back to get a job improperly redone...? Seems counterintuitive.
Old 04-06-2010, 05:12 AM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

I guess it depends on what you're used to. I've driven 40 minutes for lunch. If that's all it takes for you to go someplace that will do it right, what are you waiting for?
Old 04-06-2010, 05:56 AM
gooser
2nd Gear Member

it's a dying skill to align these things properly. goodyear or ford? impossible to answer. it all depends on who they have working there. some places won't stray from the factory specs even after you've explained to them about the shelby drop. are you a member of a local car club? they could probably give you the best heads up on who in your area will do the best job. don't despair, there are still good alignment shops around, just not as many of them as there used to be.
Old 04-06-2010, 05:58 AM
MBDiagMan
3rd Gear Member

Drive on your old tires to the Ford House and then put on the new tires when you're finished. Old tires or new tires make no difference on modern alignment equipment. Measurements are indexed off of the rim.
Old 04-06-2010, 07:49 AM
ozarks06
2nd Gear Member

I took my car to the local Midas, since, of course, they do lots of alignments, are close, and offer a lifetime alignment guarantee. I have a Heidts M2 kit, but it's just like about every non-Ford car before struts. It took this rocket scientist 5 - count them 5! - hours to get it done. I'd find an old-time alignment guy (lots of gray hair, smokes like a chimney, cusses like a sailor - you get the picture). About all the alignment guys today are lost without a MacPherson strut.
Old 04-06-2010, 08:47 AM
KMatch
2nd Gear Member

Most of the names mentioned have a bad rep around here for not doing alignments without replacing everything from the lugnuts to the motor mounts. Beware, and know beforehand what shape your suspension is in so if you're told you need new balljoints, but just installed them a month ago...

Also, I don't offer a lifetime warranty as I do them right the first time. Bragging? Nope. Don't buy something just because it offers a warranty as such. This is a sales gimmick and doesn't guarantee any difference in the work performed. Would you rather buy a lifetime clutch that needs replacing 3 times or a 1 year warranty part that lasts a lifetime? Do your shopping based on reputation, not gimmicks.

Quick Reply: Nationwide tire shop for alignment?