Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

CJ PONY PARTS Horror Story !!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 12:14 PM
groho
4th Gear Member

CJ's hasn't let me down, nor most of the other mustang suppliers. The issue usually comes down to the KID who takes the order and the KID who pulls the part off the shelf. Almost everytime I've had a problem it's the result of a young kid who either doesn't understand old cars or flat doesn't give a hooot about service, (and probably drives an import.....) Try SummitRacing.com for eng parts, or even PAWinc.com. Stay away from JEGs.
Old 04-27-2010, 05:29 PM
urban_cowboy
5th Gear Member

I personally do not know why you would buy from anyone but NPD for mustang specific parts. They have almost everything and are very prompt on shipping. They also have a large warehouse system so they rarely have backorders on stuff that is in their catalog. Yes they have shipping charges if you do not order enough which is why I build a wishlist and order once a month or so.

If it is not a Mustang specific part, like a Ford Racing Oil Pan, I try to purchase from my local speed shop as they are friends or I simply Internet order from Summit or Jegs. Summit's website is much better than Jegs, but Jegs carries some manufacturers that Summit does not. I run about 70/30 Summit/Jegs. They often have more backorders than NPD, but when they are backordered, so is almost everyone else.

My point is you can sometime be penny wise and pound foolish. That is why I stay with NPD, Summit, and Jegs for everything I can.
Old 04-27-2010, 06:51 PM
1966-FASTBACK
2nd Gear Member

In all the years of ordering car parts this has been the worst experience i have ever had and its still not over! i wonder if Doctor jack Kevorkian is available to end my misery!!!
Old 04-27-2010, 08:55 PM
nba1341
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by urban_cowboy
I personally do not know why you would buy from anyone but NPD for mustang specific parts. They have almost everything and are very prompt on shipping. They also have a large warehouse system so they rarely have backorders on stuff that is in their catalog. Yes they have shipping charges if you do not order enough which is why I build a wishlist and order once a month or so.

If it is not a Mustang specific part, like a Ford Racing Oil Pan, I try to purchase from my local speed shop as they are friends or I simply Internet order from Summit or Jegs. Summit's website is much better than Jegs, but Jegs carries some manufacturers that Summit does not. I run about 70/30 Summit/Jegs. They often have more backorders than NPD, but when they are backordered, so is almost everyone else.

My point is you can sometime be penny wise and pound foolish. That is why I stay with NPD, Summit, and Jegs for everything I can.
Because NPD is still stuck in the 1950s sears catalog days and doesn't have free shipping for the same parts.
Old 04-27-2010, 09:11 PM
Jbomb
1st Gear Member

1966-FASTBACK why don't you just call your bank to put a stop payment on it and be done with it? it seems like your over reacting.

side note: does anyone know when the next 10% off cj's will be? I have a few hundred dollars worth of stuff I need to order and I love getting it shipping and tax FREE =)
Old 04-27-2010, 09:37 PM
nba1341
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Jbomb
1966-FASTBACK why don't you just call your bank to put a stop payment on it and be done with it? it seems like your over reacting.

side note: does anyone know when the next 10% off cj's will be? I have a few hundred dollars worth of stuff I need to order and I love getting it shipping and tax FREE =)
They claim there last week for it was a couple weeks ago but I think they'll bring it back. They also have a really cool deal they've been doing which was order 100 dollars worth of stuff and get a $30 gift card up to $90 gift card which is cool if you plan ahead
Old 04-28-2010, 06:31 AM
palerider
4th Gear Member

Just order it from summit and either stop payment or ask for refund. They ship the next day. If this is the worst experience you've had your build must have been pretty smooth.
Old 04-28-2010, 07:57 AM
urban_cowboy
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by nba1341
Because NPD is still stuck in the 1950s sears catalog days and doesn't have free shipping for the same parts.
I agree that online ordering would be nice, but their online catalog is very easy to search. As for free shipping...hardly anyone has free shipping anymore for any order given current fuel costs. If you buy $20 in parts, why would you expect to get $3 dollars or 15% of the order worth of free shipping? 15%-20% is a big chunk of their profit. Many distributors run on less than 5% profit margins. Summit and Jegs both charge shipping/handling. NPD waves shipping costs if you place a decent size order. Even at work, all of our distributors charge shipping now unless the order is several thousand dollars.

Edit: NPD has free shipping for orders over $300. Everyone wants something for free. It is all just profit margin and cost. Either they drop ship everything so they do not have to pay for maintaining inventory or they charge shipping and handling...it is all just cost of business. Personally, I am good with it when they always have what I need.

Last edited by urban_cowboy; 04-28-2010 at 08:04 AM.
Old 04-28-2010, 10:37 AM
Rick@NPD

Originally Posted by urban_cowboy
I agree that online ordering would be nice, but their online catalog is very easy to search. As for free shipping...hardly anyone has free shipping anymore for any order given current fuel costs. If you buy $20 in parts, why would you expect to get $3 dollars or 15% of the order worth of free shipping? 15%-20% is a big chunk of their profit. Many distributors run on less than 5% profit margins. Summit and Jegs both charge shipping/handling. NPD waves shipping costs if you place a decent size order. Even at work, all of our distributors charge shipping now unless the order is several thousand dollars.

Edit: NPD has free shipping for orders over $300. Everyone wants something for free. It is all just profit margin and cost. Either they drop ship everything so they do not have to pay for maintaining inventory or they charge shipping and handling...it is all just cost of business. Personally, I am good with it when they always have what I need.
Wow, you know more about this industry than most... You're correct, nothing in life is "free".. The parts cost money, the shipping costs money, and anyone who's coming in cheaper must compensate from that lost-revenue somewhere, because there's not much wiggle-room in this industry... You nailed it with your comment regarding on-hand inventory and drop-shipping.

I don't see the current deals available as being sustainable. It's a suicide mission that will eventually come to roost.

P.S. New online ordering system coming soon... Even though online ordering is never preferable to phone ordering, you're just asking for disappointment, i.e. wrong parts, no disclosure of in-stock availability, etc... Sears had more happy customers back in the 50's..
Old 04-28-2010, 06:13 PM
65rangoon
3rd Gear Member

i havent really had any issue with CJ.

some parts feel cheap etc.

on the plus side i sent some parts back as my parents bought me the same parts as a gift. i sent them back and they refunded me more then i paid technically.

i bought them with 10% off plus the free shipping. i sent them back and they credited me the full 'normal' price and did NOT take the 15% restock fee they state they do on their site.

so $100 in parts and i got back $110ish

Quick Reply: CJ PONY PARTS Horror Story !!!!