Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Integral Steering box -vs- Standard Steering box?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 03:21 PM
shelbymustangdan
2nd Gear Member

Default Integral Steering box -vs- Standard Steering box?

Hi guys - Maybe I'm just not getting a simple concept...

I currently have a manual steering 67 fastback. Probably the original steering box, because it sure feels like it! It does not have the rag joint setup, but the long shaft steering column attached to the gear box.

I am begining the process of considering my options. If budget wasn't on my mind, I would absolutely go with a rack and pinion, powered unit from TCP. (or similar) But I don't want to put out over $2,000 for that option right now.

While looking into new gear boxes, and seeing some adds in Mustang Monthly, I found these two items at MustangsPlus, which caught my interest and a question.

1965-67 Flaming River Long Shaft Manual/Power Steering Gearbox
http://www.mustangsplus.com/xcart/pr...at=2090&page=1

1965-67 Integral Power Steering Box W/1" Sector (made by Borgeson)
http://www.mustangsplus.com/xcart/19...-1-Sector.html

#1 Does the integral unit mean that I will need to install thier power steering pump, which then connects directly to the "integral power steering box"? Thus eliminating the need for a stock power steering valve and ram?

#2 If anyone has the "Integral Power Steering Box" installed, I'd like to hear your feedback and satisfaction with the setup.

Thanks!!
Dan
Old 04-28-2010, 03:58 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

i hate power stuff...and because im a MAN i have manual steering
Old 04-28-2010, 05:27 PM
Deviousfred
3rd Gear Member

I recently acquired the Borgeson box. Yes, it eliminates the need for the ram and steering valve. This box has you connect the PS hoses directly to the box. You don't have to use their pump but they do not recommend you use the stock unit either. I have been told a stock late model 5.0 pump will work fine.
Old 04-28-2010, 07:25 PM
jmk3
3rd Gear Member

I got the borgeson also, mounted fine, but far from being on the road, I am using a gm style pump. I would like to hear from someone that has driven the car with the box.
Old 04-28-2010, 09:17 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

I have a Flaming River manual 16:1 box, and it works great. It's an upgraded design so the steering is smooth and not difficult.

An integral type box will be cleaner and take up less space with rams/hoses etc.
Old 04-29-2010, 04:56 AM
shelbymustangdan
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the feedback guys!

Yes, it would be interesting to hear from someone driving with one installed, just to hear some first hand feedback.

Take care everyone!
Old 05-30-2010, 10:16 PM
Deviousfred
3rd Gear Member

There is a bit more to the installation of this box than I initially anticipated.

When I bolted up the box in place, it would not sit flush on the frame rail. I found the problem to be lack of clearance in multiple places. First place I could see was the frame rail. I had to notch a small piece of the frame and will need to fill it down the road before I get the car on the road. After that, the box was better still not sitting flush but it was no longer at the frame. I slipped a sheet of paper behind the box and the fender apron and there was also a lack of clearance. I broke out the BFH and some dimple dollies and went to work. I spray painted the fender apron to see exactly where the extra space was needed, bolted up the box, and moved it around to see where paint was missing, then went to work. Finally got it sitting flush, but I ran into another issue with the steering wheel location relative to the column. The pictures tell the story a bit better.

Frame Notch

Fender Apron

Clearance

Sitting Flush Finally

My new problem. Any suggestions?

Fred
Old 05-31-2010, 12:04 AM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Can you loosen the column and pull it inwards towards the wheel at all, or is there not enough column left at the base?

And I guess nothing can ever go in easy.....
Old 05-31-2010, 06:06 AM
shelbymustangdan
2nd Gear Member

I am really surprised about the fitment issues you are running into! Thanks for sharing the info!!

Ultimately I came across this statement when you click through their shoping cart process:

"NOTE: Power conversion box will not fit with factory clutch linkage"

Since I have a Toploader 4 speed with the standard mechanical linkage, I decided not to go in this direction. And after reading your post about the modifications required to "make it fit", I'm glad I didn't go down that path.

Thanks again for sharing your experience!!

Good luck the rest of the way!
Old 05-31-2010, 09:23 AM
Deviousfred
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 67mustang302
Can you loosen the column and pull it inwards towards the wheel at all, or is there not enough column left at the base?

And I guess nothing can ever go in easy.....
Unfortunately the 65-66 have a guiding slot that locates the column.

Quick Reply: Integral Steering box -vs- Standard Steering box?