MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   Classic Mustangs (Tech) (https://mustangforums.com/forum/classic-mustangs-tech-16/)
-   -   Cant go full throttle....... (https://mustangforums.com/forum/classic-mustangs-tech/599377-cant-go-full-throttle.html)

sole wit it 05-03-2010 12:54 PM

Cant go full throttle.......

Hey guys i got a 289 that i dropped in my 68,i took her for a ride and noticed that i cant go full throttle and it would take a min to get to a higher speed and noticed that it was running rough i got new park plugs spark plug wires,new rotor cap& rotor what else could be the problem?i thinking 2 and 3 cylinders don't have enough compression?? help would be appreciated thanks

2+2GT 05-03-2010 01:01 PM

Does the throttle actually open all the way? If not, that's a simple mechanical adjustment.

Gun Jam 05-03-2010 01:29 PM

not enough information to provide a valid response.

but its easy to check for vac leaks...Start there. Spray carb cleaner around the base of the carb with the engine at idle and see if it changes tune...If not then no vac leak.

-Gun

kalli 05-03-2010 03:15 PM

ya. what 2+2 said is the first thing that came to mind. have someone sit inside car and press full throttle, check that the lower butterfly in primary (throttle) is fully open. if you have a vac secondary, the rear won't open doing that. that's normal.

as gun said, bnoit enough information. low compression on a few cylkinders would still accellerate the car. so maybe your ignition timing is completely wrong, firing order. there's about 1000 things that could be wrong. we need more details

sole wit it 05-03-2010 03:27 PM

ok lets see when i give the throttle rod a tug the engine revs up but its not a smooth vooom ha ha ya know it stuters a ill this is when its in park basically its not a smooth idle

sole wit it 05-03-2010 03:30 PM

well 2+2 when its in drive no it wont open up all the way but in park yes but like i said stuters

kalli 05-03-2010 04:31 PM

check if it opens all the way with engine off! not with the hand on the throttle, but with someone flooring the pedal inside the car. see if that butterfly fully opens.

the stuttering could be different things, but if it already stutters in idle, you might have dead cylinders. could you do a compression test? otherwise you can take a good pair of electrical plyers and pull spark plug of #1 cylinder while the engine is idling, put it back in, disconnect #2. the less change you have at idle with a spark plug unplugged the weaker the cylinder. it's not a measured test, but can give you an idea.
further do you have timing gun? you'll need one to set ignition timing correctly

sole wit it 05-03-2010 06:40 PM

Ok what would I be looking for when the butterfly opens all the way or only little?then if it has dead cylinders what would I have to do to bring back?

Gun Jam 05-04-2010 12:29 AM

Ohh did it run fine before you messed with the plug wires and replaced them?

Im betting perhaps you have 2 or more plug wires reversed. Thats also an easy fix. Check to make sure each wire from the distributor is going to the correct plug.

-Gun

tx65coupe 05-04-2010 02:06 AM

What they are referring to is to make sure there is not interference with the throttle linkage and something that could be binding it.