Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

65 restomod, WIP pics and a question or 2

Old 05-03-2010, 04:54 PM
irish350

Thumbs up 65 restomod, WIP pics and a question or 2

So im in the process of injecting the 5.0 in this 65 coupe.. doing wilwood 12.19s all around. Just decided to pull the hooker LTs and switch to some dougs tri ys.

(just tossed the spacer/maf on today. need to get an elbow and then figure out how to run the cable)

Mainly posting pics to try to light a fire under my *** (i keep tinkering with my TA), but i also had a few questions for you guys.

I was planning on putting in AC before im done, but i was gonna leave out power brakes and steering; just wanted to know what the general consensus was on that stuff (i figure the cars light, big brakes and arms should do it).

Another thing (in addition to the header swap) that this forums already helped with was wheel size; i was gonna go with 18s, but now i see these things look great with just 17s, but the problem is i dont wanna use spacers, and i cant find any companies that make decent wheels for these (im 100% completely tired of seeing torque thrusts. for the rest of my life). Im looking for either really thin 5 spokes (ie y2k corvette wheels) or a multispoke design (kinda importish, but if im conservative enough on them i think theyll be aggressive and not ricey)

(steerings hanging till i get the drivers side header in, hopefully doug will help me here)

Another thing im stuck on; color. You can see the interior was saddle, and i think ill keep that and do a two tone flat black/saddle thing. My current thought was a 69 boss inspired flat black theme (carrying onto the wheels) with either gloss black, white, or deep metallic purple, but i change my mind here like monthly.. wondering what you guys have noticed as far as resale value, colors/stripe effects you dont see often but like, etc..

This is as my garage sits... trying to finish some audio stuff to get it out of the way, then i can move the stang into the middle spot to do all the plumbing, etc etc..
Old 05-03-2010, 10:14 PM
OCHOHILL
2nd Gear Member

Been there, done that. Def don't get 18's. It will make your brakes look like a five-O's breakfast. The reason the torque thrusts are all over is cause nothen else looks good.
Try the old skool wheel from MB.

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i5...l/DSCF3219.jpg

235/45/17's and they rub a bit front and back. 12" drilled and slotted wilwoods. All manual no power needed. Don't forget the new axle bearings and studs for the rear. and the parking brake cables, master cylinder and new brake lines.

check these out too.

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/whe...4.3%7C4.5&rw=8
Old 05-03-2010, 11:01 PM
irish350

I think ill end up getting some one offs if i cant find anything. Your setup looks kiler though; awesome color blue. do they rub on the inside or the outside?

I hadnt planned on replacing stuff back there, so ill make sure to look into bearings/studs. I have the brake cables but i grabbed a lokar floor mount, so well see if i can get that working. (master is sitting behind the drivers seat, you can kinda see it)

Did you use a brake line kit or just bend it up yourself?

id also be interested to hear who youve worked with here in az (i have plenty of ls1 connects, but im new to the classic mustang world)
Old 05-04-2010, 08:39 AM
tcrote5516
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by OCHOHILL
The reason the torque thrusts are all over is cause nothen else looks good.

.do?wd=17&bp=5%7C114.3%7C4.5&rw=8[/url]
2nd that. Any other wheel just looks wrong on these cars. You wouldnt put torque thrusts on a Civic, dont put Civic wheels on a classic car.

Anywho, cool project!!! FYI I'm running staggered 18" rear/17 fronts and love how it sits.
Old 05-04-2010, 08:56 PM
irish350

cool. A lot of f body guys do staggered wheels, do you have some pics of your setup? ( i think itd be a lot more noticable on these cars)

right now im thinking ill go with 17" fikses, but im still not totally decided. Theyre pretty expensive, but thatll just keep me from getting wheels that are ugly.
Old 05-09-2010, 10:53 AM
OCHOHILL
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by irish350
I think ill end up getting some one offs if i cant find anything. Your setup looks kiler though; awesome color blue. do they rub on the inside or the outside?

I hadnt planned on replacing stuff back there, so ill make sure to look into bearings/studs. I have the brake cables but i grabbed a lokar floor mount, so well see if i can get that working. (master is sitting behind the drivers seat, you can kinda see it)

Did you use a brake line kit or just bend it up yourself?

id also be interested to hear who youve worked with here in az (i have plenty of ls1 connects, but im new to the classic mustang world)
I have rubbing on the outer fender wells front and rear. I raised the rear with some stiffer springs and a custom drop. It will only rub when the car is full over a bump now. The front will rub turning over bumps. The wilwoods push the wheel out 3/8". My fenders have been rolled about half way. I don't like them rolled completely.

For mustang parts I use 3 places:

The Mustang Shop in Chandler-good restomod/race shop for service
So-Cal Vintage Parts on McDowell and about 34th street
East Valley Mustang for most of my mustang specific parts-On McKellips between Gilbert and Lindsey

I made my own brake lines from the in-stock lengths at checker auto. I used the Wilwood parking brake cable kit and installed a center pull parking brake from a 88ish mustang.
Old 05-10-2010, 08:14 AM
sschanz
2nd Gear Member

I run Foose 18's on the rear and 17's on the fronts. np.
Old 05-11-2010, 09:50 AM
suicide67
1st Gear Member

Will the 03 10th anniversary cobra wheels fit. They are pretty sick and are multi-spoke. http://www.netcarshow.com/ford/2003-...h_anniversary/
But fiskes are sweet, my buddy used to run them on his turbo 3.6 911
Old 05-11-2010, 01:04 PM
Adrenolin
5th Gear Member

I've never really liked the 5-spoke "torque thrusts". Why not go with 10-spoke Shelby wheels instead? Vintage Wheel Works (google). No spacers needed and come in most sizes. I've got 16s on ours.
Old 05-11-2010, 08:05 PM
irish350

those anniversary wheels are nice, although i prefer the new style gt ones (v spokes, the anniv ones remind me of bmw m parallels)

and @ those vintage wheel works, doesnt american racing make all those same styles?

i think one of my qualms with the older style wheels is the amount of hub space; im a fan of the thinner spoked, less bulky looking wheels..

i LOVE how these look (could just be the car). these are the AR wheels, but theyre similar to those vintage ones, i believe still shelby knockoffs?

but id prefer something more like these..

..just went through my mustang folder, only found TTs, rally wheels, or late model (no spacers for me)... Let me try that again..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 65 restomod, WIP pics and a question or 2