Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Suspension...

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 10:42 PM
pootypeters
1st Gear Member

Default Suspension...

So I am getting ready to do a full overhaul on my 66's suspension and I am trying to prepare myself by forseeing any problems before they arise. Right now my Caster setting is somewhere in the negative range and I am hoping to get at least 2 degrees positive out of it when I'm done. Are there any problems with the front sway bar not mounting properly after you pull the LCA forward? It just seems that the mounting point might not line up with the LCA if it is pulled forward since it is restricted where it is mounted to the frame? This might seem stupid and not be any real concern but I just wanted to hear from people who have gone through this already.
Old 05-26-2010, 10:54 PM
6kyles7

i did my whole front end and ran two inch drop coils w/ new uppers, lowers, etc
best advice i know is remember where your strut rod nuts are located so u wont have to sit there trying to remember where it all went ( same with tie rods if your doing them ) and if your worried about the sway bar and strut rod both not bolting up to the lca try first bolting the end links on w/ the sway bar then you can move the lca forward or backwards to bolt the strut rod on and once on you can adjust as needed on the strut rod
Old 05-26-2010, 11:21 PM
socalwrench
4th Gear Member

Wow, you're running negative caster. That thing must wander like crazy.

There should be enough adjustment with the sway bar endlinks to allow movement of the LCAs (within reason of course). I believe the strut bushings can be trimmed if need to slightly move them forward also.
Old 05-27-2010, 04:21 AM
MonsterBilly
4th Gear Member

Once you have one the work, if you need a good alignment shop hit up Network Alignment on 67th ave nd Bethany Home Rd. They really know there shat and have been doing my stuff for a while.
I just had my 66 set up there after i did the upgrades and the dialed it in perfectly.
Old 05-27-2010, 11:47 AM
OCHOHILL
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by pootypeters
So I am getting ready to do a full overhaul on my 66's suspension and I am trying to prepare myself by forseeing any problems before they arise. Right now my Caster setting is somewhere in the negative range and I am hoping to get at least 2 degrees positive out of it when I'm done. Are there any problems with the front sway bar not mounting properly after you pull the LCA forward? It just seems that the mounting point might not line up with the LCA if it is pulled forward since it is restricted where it is mounted to the frame? This might seem stupid and not be any real concern but I just wanted to hear from people who have gone through this already.
66 LCA are not adjustable. How do you plan on pulling it forward? Your caster is adjusted with shims in the upper control arms.
Old 05-27-2010, 02:32 PM
pootypeters
1st Gear Member

Kyles, thanks. I do plan on keeping everything organized as this will be a multiple day job.

SocalWrench, yeah, the thing wanders like a crazy. It's not even fun to drive it anymore. That's why this is getting all new suspension and steering.

MonsterBilly. Thanks for the advice. I've actually been wondering where I should go have it aligned when I finish the project. I went up to the MustangShop in Chandler last time but I wasn't very pleased with their effort and it's about a 30 mile drive. Network Alignment is definitely more in my neck of the woods. I'll check them out.

OchoHill. I should have specified, I am installing adjustable strut rods along with a LCA with a spherical bearing.