Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Corvette C4 suspension in a 65 Mustang.

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 07:30 AM
gwb16
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by andrewmp6
I believe you can get brackets to use c5 or c6 brakes on a c4 look on the corvette forums.
Yes, there is a kit available to accomplish that. I'll check over on the Corvette Forums that I'm a member of to see if I can find the link and post it here.

This seems like a whole lot of work! Would be far easier to buy a Vette to get the "ride of a Vette". Good luck!

Also OP - did you get the Z51 suspension or is it the standard suspension? The Z51 is a much harsher ride but the car will handle like it's on rails. My 84 Vette is equipped with the Z51 package and when I turn the wheel - it goes DIRECTLY in the direction that I call for. The feel is incredible but you're going to feel EVERY SINGLE bump on the roadway. It'll darn near knock your fillings out of your teeth. Just something for you to think about....FYI the Bilstein shocks on the Z51 package will set you back about 500 clams.
Old 06-10-2010, 07:41 AM
gwb16
2nd Gear Member

Great info here on the brake conversion....

http://www.coppercorvette.com/c5toc4brakes.htm
Old 06-11-2010, 10:26 AM
FBConvert

This seems like a whole lot of work! Would be far easier to buy a Vette to get the "ride of a Vette". Good luck!
I'm sure it would be easier if the goal was to just have the ride of a corvette, but I started with a free mustang and this is where I ended up ha ha. No point in stopping now.

I'm not real familiar with corvettes but the rear end does have Bilstein shocks on it, but I am not sure if that automatically makes is a Z51. I do know that I will need new gears though since my irs came from an automatic.

What year car is the suspension from? The 88 and later cars had KILLER Australian brakes. If it is one of these cars there will be absolutely no need for any brake modifications.
The guy at just corvettes said it was a 88-94 I think but do you know how I could positively I identify what type of breaks they are?

Also I think there is a point in that there is more than just the suspension which makes the corvette such a good handler on the road. I do plan to narrow the suspension so I can fit a 17x8 or 17x9 wheel in there. The tsw trackstars I mentioned earlier only come in a 17x8 size with an offset or 40mm (that I have found so far). I am still looking though. I would like to keep it the same size tire in all four corners since I plan on driving this a lot and I want to be able to rotate them.

I have not done a formal weight calculations since I don't have the proper equipment other than a bathroom scale. My general feel is that I will just about break even. Their is more to the IRS but it is made of aluminum and taking into account the leaf springs in the stock rear end I say they are about the same weight with the scale tipping more to the stock setup weighing a little more... but again this is just me guessing. Also I have not got a for sure plan for the power plant but I can definitely say that it will not be a stock setup and when I know more I will begin to consider the proper location for its custom mounts. I appreciate the insight though.

I am hoping to start organizing my garage a little over the weekend then maybe start putting in the wiring for my welder. in the mean time I found a good source of parts for the swap @ http://www.vbandp.com/C4-Corvettes.html

and a little write up on someone who put a C4 irs in a 240Z
http://www.turbobuicks.com/members/s...e-irs-swap.htm
Old 06-11-2010, 07:34 PM
Silverblade
2nd Gear Member

I like where this is going, take lots of pics along the way.
Old 06-14-2010, 10:20 AM
MBDiagMan
3rd Gear Member

Yes, I think you're right about weight distribution. It shouldn't change very much with the suspension change. The weight distribution of the Vette is due to the extreme engine set back and the short wheel base as well as the fact that the driver and passenger sit only a few inches in front of the rear wheels. You won't accomplish such dimensions on a five passenger car.

If it is indeed an 88 up, there is absolutely no need for a brake upgrade. The 88 got a huge factory brake upgrade. They were some sort of Australian brakes. I'm pretty sure that you can tell because the 88 & up had 4 piston calipers. Mine is an 88 and I can ASSURE you that it has PLENTY of brakes.
Old 06-14-2010, 01:18 PM
gwb16
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by FBConvert
I'm sure it would be easier if the goal was to just have the ride of a corvette, but I started with a free mustang and this is where I ended up ha ha. No point in stopping now.

I'm not real familiar with corvettes but the rear end does have Bilstein shocks on it, but I am not sure if that automatically makes is a Z51. I do know that I will need new gears though since my irs came from an automatic.

The guy at just corvettes said it was a 88-94 I think but do you know how I could positively I identify what type of breaks they are?

Also I think there is a point in that there is more than just the suspension which makes the corvette such a good handler on the road. I do plan to narrow the suspension so I can fit a 17x8 or 17x9 wheel in there. The tsw trackstars I mentioned earlier only come in a 17x8 size with an offset or 40mm (that I have found so far). I am still looking though. I would like to keep it the same size tire in all four corners since I plan on driving this a lot and I want to be able to rotate them.

I have not done a formal weight calculations since I don't have the proper equipment other than a bathroom scale. My general feel is that I will just about break even. Their is more to the IRS but it is made of aluminum and taking into account the leaf springs in the stock rear end I say they are about the same weight with the scale tipping more to the stock setup weighing a little more... but again this is just me guessing. Also I have not got a for sure plan for the power plant but I can definitely say that it will not be a stock setup and when I know more I will begin to consider the proper location for its custom mounts. I appreciate the insight though.

I am hoping to start organizing my garage a little over the weekend then maybe start putting in the wiring for my welder. in the mean time I found a good source of parts for the swap @ http://www.vbandp.com/C4-Corvettes.html

and a little write up on someone who put a C4 irs in a 240Z
http://www.turbobuicks.com/members/s...e-irs-swap.htm
To clear up my comments....I'm very interested in your project. Wish that I had the tooling and equipment to even think about doing something like this. I didn't mean to suggest that you should of bought a Vette, I was just thinking out loud. You have before you a huge task that will be fun to work your way through.

Anyone could of previously put Bilstein shocks on it, so I don't know if that alone makes it the Z51 package. I'll see if I dig something up on the 88's and what the standard vs Z51 differences were. BOTH will handle very nicely but the Z51 gets the edge in cornering capabilities.

I don't know what the weight distribution was for your Mustang but as already mentioned the engine mounting on the Vette was WAY BACK. The cabin area of my 84 gets HOT!!! With the tranny tunnel basically right against my thigh, it gets pretty toasty in there. Good AC is a must in it - LOL! Back to weight talk, I can't imagine it being too different, at least not enough to throw the handling out of whack. Alignment will be the BIG key.

I can hardly wait to see the finished product!
Old 06-14-2010, 04:08 PM
gwb16
2nd Gear Member

FB, found a really good discussion thread for you to check out...

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/...-packages.html

Best of luck!
Old 06-14-2010, 10:52 PM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

The so called aussie brakes are pbr brand the same thing baer really is.And the corvette has had them c4 up and the cobra mustang used them also.But if it was me id try to get c6 zo6 brakes on it they are huge.If you want to see the difference in all the calipers http://www.kore3.com/products.php?cat=25
Old 06-15-2010, 01:38 AM
Rob Cook

its you done with your own car or you have in business of this ?
if yes thn post in detail about you.
Old 06-15-2010, 06:19 AM
MBDiagMan
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by andrewmp6
The so called aussie brakes are pbr brand the same thing baer really is.And the corvette has had them c4 up and the cobra mustang used them also.But if it was me id try to get c6 zo6 brakes on it they are huge.If you want to see the difference in all the calipers http://www.kore3.com/products.php?cat=25

The C4 did not get the Aussie brakes until the 88 model year.

I have an 88, stick shift Vette that I have driven over 120,000 miles and I can PROMISE you that the brakes are adequate even for the heavier Mustang. The brakes on this car are nothing short of awesome. Back in the nineties I used to drive this car through the winding pig trails of Northwest Arkansas. One time I went through the fabulous park roads winding around from Springdale to Russellville. When I left Springdale the car was spotlessly clean. I drove the living He++ out of it driving deep into and braking HARD corner after corner after corner with very little straight away in between. When I got to Russellville, all four wheels were black as coal with brake dust. The brakes were completely controllable never experiencing the slightest bit of fade.

Believe me! IMHO, money would be better spent on most every other portion of this project before putting it into brake upgrades.

All that said, if you DO decide to upgrade the brakes and they are indeed 88 up units, I would very much like to have the old parts for spares.

Last edited by MBDiagMan; 06-15-2010 at 06:30 AM.

Quick Reply: Corvette C4 suspension in a 65 Mustang.