MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   Classic Mustangs (Tech) (https://mustangforums.com/forum/classic-mustangs-tech-16/)
-   -   Changing from long shaft to short shaft steering box? (https://mustangforums.com/forum/classic-mustangs-tech/606077-changing-from-long-shaft-to-short-shaft-steering-box.html)

shelbymustangdan 06-19-2010 05:52 AM

Changing from long shaft to short shaft steering box?

I currently have a 67 Fastback with the stock long shaft steering box. It is worn and time to change.

Should I use this opportunity to change to a short shaft steering box with the rag joint? Or keep things easy with a new long shaft unit? (I am looking at the Flaming River units currently) I would imagine I can buy a new rag joint and new shaft to use with the new "short" style steering box.

Your thoughts or recommendations??

Starfury 06-19-2010 10:20 AM

If you switch to the short shaft box, you need to get a new column. A '67 column at that, because the '68 columns won't fit in between the '67 pedals. I know because 2+2GT told me after I picked up a short shaft box:) The '68 design also uses a collapsible column, so if you want to go that route you need new pedals as well.

Hit up Glazier's for a used '67 column. I think they quoted me like $60 for one.

Jonk67 06-19-2010 11:43 AM

I have a '67 Coupe and changed my spear-o-matic out for a '68 column and had my original gearbox rebuilt and installed a short shaft from a '69 box since my gearbox was in great shape (PS). I was changing from manual to PDB at the same time so I switched the pedal out anyway (automatic) and the pedal does have a slight bow to go around the larger collapseable column. I'm sure the manual pedals are the same way due to the larger diameter of the '68> columns.
You may have to contact FR to see if their input shaft lands at the same spot as the stock short shaft gearbox to use a stock collapseable column, someone has to have tried this already?
Jon

shelbymustangdan 06-20-2010 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by Starfury (Post 7064620)
If you switch to the short shaft box, you need to get a new column. A '67 column at that, because the '68 columns won't fit in between the '67 pedals. I know because 2+2GT told me after I picked up a short shaft box:) The '68 design also uses a collapsible column, so if you want to go that route you need new pedals as well.

Hit up Glazier's for a used '67 column. I think they quoted me like $60 for one.

I'm glad I asked the question! :) I thought I could just find a replacement column shaft, slip it into my existing column, install a rag joint, and be good to go.

What would be the difference between the 67 column I have now with a long shaft, and a 67 column with a short shaft? Are there differences in the 67 column tubes sizes?

Jonk67 06-20-2010 02:29 PM

I haven't seen a late model '67 with the rag joint, I can only guess that it uses the same column as the '68 collapseable? Or did thay make a noncollapse '67 with rag joint?
Jon

Starfury 06-20-2010 05:21 PM

67's made after early January (iirc) 1967 used a short shaft box with a non-collapsible column. The federal safety regs changed in '68 to require collapsible columns, so they use a different column altogether. To clear the boot on the collapsible columns, they also had to use different pedals than the late '67 cars.

shelbymustangdan 06-21-2010 09:09 AM

Thanks for the continued info!! It's funny, just when I think I know everything about my 67, every nut, bolt, how to, etc., I continue learning something new. :o)

Jonk67 06-21-2010 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by shelbymustangdan (Post 7067067)
Thanks for the continued info!! It's funny, just when I think I know everything about my 67, every nut, bolt, how to, etc., I continue learning something new. :o)

Same here, we all bring some info. to the table, I keep thinking 'these things are 40+yrs. old, how much more can there be to know?'

I bet the late '67 column with rag joint but without collapse will be difficult to find however. I had no major problem installing the slightly larger diameter '68 column, just made sure I got all of the parts (floor mounts, dash mounts, etc.) with it. I installed mainly for the benefit of collapse but now that my box is converted to short shaft I can always swap the column later for a factory tilt, FR or Ididit easily if I come across one for a decent price.
Jon