MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   Classic Mustangs (Tech) (https://mustangforums.com/forum/classic-mustangs-tech-16/)
-   -   T5 Clutch Question (https://mustangforums.com/forum/classic-mustangs-tech/608107-t5-clutch-question.html)

Haywired 07-05-2010 04:09 PM

T5 Clutch Question

I am doing the swap and have hit a snag, I have a 1967 157 tooth 28 oz 10 inch flywheel and stock 10 inch diaprham clutch ,not the three finger style and a Mustang Steve cable kit. Matched up with a 90 t5 bellhousing and trans. the problem is the cable is too short by 3/4 inch to reach the clutch fork and the fingers are already touching the throw out bearing.

Where do I go from here?
Should I have ordered a different clutch and fly wheel?

Thanks in advance

Gun Jam 07-05-2010 06:13 PM

how are you routing the cable??

Haywired 07-05-2010 06:25 PM

cable is routed down the oil pan and fits the bellhousing fine, It is the actual cable with the adjustment nut that is too short to reach the clutch fork.

scootchu 07-05-2010 09:08 PM

Something doesn't seem right. If the casing of the cable reaches the firewall and the bellhousing then the inside cable should reach the quadrant and the fork.
Do you have the outside casing seated in the firewall and the bellhousing?
I just did this in a 66 and my inside cable was actually long.
Hmmmmmmmmmmmm...

Haywired 07-05-2010 09:13 PM

What clutch are you running? the fingers on the pressure plate that I installed are long and angled out towards the throwout bearing. most clutches i have been looking at online look nothing like the one I got from a local Ford dealer

The cable reaches the quadrant,firewall and bell without a problem it is just the inside cable is to short to reach the fork. I tried running by putting the cable on while using a prybar to move the fork forward and it fit but had no adjustment and the clutch slipped badly,and the pedal was all the wayup.

scootchu 07-06-2010 07:26 AM

I have a diaphragm clutch too. Is your mount up tight against the firewall? Steve's site says the cable should be 60" and the housing 48". Double check those measurements. My cable came out of a 91 Mustang and it measured similar.
Did you weld your quadrant?

Haywired 07-06-2010 12:50 PM

Cable , Quadrant welded on pedal and firewall adujtment came from Steve as well. All the measurements are the same. The clutch that I have has really long fingers on it

scootchu 07-06-2010 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by Haywired (Post 7090932)
Cable , Quadrant welded on pedal and firewall adujtment came from Steve as well. All the measurements are the same. The clutch that I have has really long fingers on it

That could be it then. Sounds like the pressure plate might be wrong. Does it have a Ford part #?

The flywheel should be fine and a 90 bell housing shouldn't be a problem either.

Haywired 07-06-2010 01:51 PM

Just got off the phone with Bruce at Modern Driveline and yes the pressure plate is for the old style Z bar not cable. To thick to work with a cable. He does have a clutch for my Flywheel so I can get up and running.