Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

installed new 3-points in my mustang

Old 01-14-2010, 09:53 PM
oldrock
2nd Gear Member

Default installed new 3-points in my mustang

Weather finally warmed up a bit so I could get back to my mustang. Got the headliner and new carpet mostly finished and got the new 3-point retractable seatbelts installed. It was a pain finding all the anchor holes with the new carpet but got it done. THe hardest part was figuring out where to mount the retractors. Decided to mount them low on the quarter panels. Left just enough room to use the rear window cranks. It is going to be a nice safety upgrade from the lap belts that were in there.

$40 each was hard to resist and a big improvement from the originals
Old 01-14-2010, 11:19 PM
4reboy
5th Gear Member

There isn't a kit that allows you to use the stock 2 holes? I would want to keep the retractor on floor where it is stock. i was thinking of doing this but now re-thinking it there isn't a stock style design.

It does look good though, nice safety upgrade
Old 01-14-2010, 11:59 PM
darkngtz
2nd Gear Member

do you have the top hing attached to the roof? i was thinkin of doing this but like it is in the 99-04 mustangs where the strap goes threw a loop attached to the seat
Old 01-15-2010, 01:00 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 4reboy
There isn't a kit that allows you to use the stock 2 holes? I would want to keep the retractor on floor where it is stock. i was thinking of doing this but now re-thinking it there isn't a stock style design.

looks like he used the lower two seat belt anchors (stock)?
Old 01-15-2010, 08:20 AM
oldrock
2nd Gear Member

The seatbelts used the existing holes in the base of the door and on the center console plus the existing hole up in the roof. That still left me needing one more anchor point for the retractor itself. I originally thought I would mount in in the side at the floor but it was a very tight fit when I put the seat back in. So I went with mounting it thru the rear quarter panel and into the thicker metal near the back windown frame. I wasn't going for concours correct with this car and strictly looking for the safety upgrade. Good news is the seatbelts work very smoothly and don't have that problem some of them have where you have to pull them out super slow or they lock up. Well worth the $80 I spent on the pair!
Old 06-27-2010, 10:42 AM
bberger

Got a ragtop. Any ideas on where to mount some shoulder harnesses?
Old 06-27-2010, 11:27 AM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 4reboy

Yes, the 3-point retractable absolutely does work just fine using the OE bolt holes. The retractor mounts by the door sill where Ford mounted the retractor, the slide goes on the overhead where Ford mounted the shoulder strap, and of course the buckle goes in the same place. I think the OP was trying to find a route to reduce having the belt in the way for those entering or leaving the rear seat.
Old 06-27-2010, 03:53 PM
Jonk67
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2+2GT
Yes, the 3-point retractable absolutely does work just fine using the OE bolt holes. The retractor mounts by the door sill where Ford mounted the retractor, the slide goes on the overhead where Ford mounted the shoulder strap, and of course the buckle goes in the same place. I think the OP was trying to find a route to reduce having the belt in the way for those entering or leaving the rear seat.
Your missing 1 of the 3 points to mount for the door side and including the hump side as one (there are actually 4 points for each seat). There has to be two lower mounting points on the door side - one for the retractor and one for the end.

Most mount the retractor at the rear corner by the back seat along the sill just back from the first mount in his pic (original mount hole for lap belts). The reason you have to move the retractor to this rear position is to clear the seat sliding as the retractor sticks out too far and hits the seat side. The retractable belts can be ordered with the backing end to put (weld) from the bottom just like the others for strength and a solid mount.

I'll look for some pics to make it clearer.
Jon
Old 06-27-2010, 06:01 PM
JamesW

40 bucks each huh? where'd you get them so cheap?
Old 07-21-2010, 01:57 PM
mr_velocity
4th Gear Member

Bringing this thread bttt. I want to put 3 point into my 66 and I'd like to get it done before paint just in case I need to weld backing plates etc. Who's got the kits? Been having hard time finding them.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: installed new 3-points in my mustang