MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   Classic Mustangs (Tech) (https://mustangforums.com/forum/classic-mustangs-tech-16/)
-   -   My mustang wont stop stalling out (https://mustangforums.com/forum/classic-mustangs-tech/608865-my-mustang-wont-stop-stalling-out.html)

swifty 07-11-2010 05:12 PM

My mustang wont stop stalling out

Ive got a stock 67 mustang with a straight 6 200. The vehicle stalls when the accelerator is pushed quickly and this happens in parked, nuetral, and drive. I have rebuilt the carb replacing everything I could get to that the rebuild kit had new pieces for. I have been playing with both the idle and and mixture screws. when Idling the vehicle runs smoothly. I have also replaced the fuel filter thinking that perhaps it was clogged enough to not supply enough gas when needed.

I can get to speed if i gently push on the accelerator and take things easy but by doing so it moves about as fast as the people on a sunday morning drive.

thanks for any help

Aussie66Fastback 07-11-2010 08:01 PM

if its starving for fuel, it could be your fuel pump is dying.
it runs ok otherwise?

swifty 07-11-2010 09:52 PM

Yes otherwise it seems to run fine. It might have a slight cough as soon as started but really not that noticable and smooths out when its warmed up. I know that there is a slight leak where the exhaust manifold meets the exuast pipe but would that cause an air problem causing my issue?

The gas pump was brand new as of...either march or april. is it possible that one would go south that soon? I def wouldnt mind replacing it because that is def cheap and easy haha.

A little history of the car if it would help. Its been in the family since 1967 and sat in my parents garage for 11 years without ever being ran. The body is in amazing shape with no rust. at least no visible rust. Ive replaced the starter, calinoid, fuel pump, points, plugs, distributor cap and fuel filter. Ive cleaned and rebuilt the carb. I have also drained the fuel tank and pumped a gallon of fresh gas through the lines before hooking the line up to the carb.

Aussie66Fastback 07-11-2010 11:23 PM

if it sat for 11 years you almost certainly have some issues with rust and general filth in the fuel tank and lines.

you may need to replace the filter and clean the carb again. you may have to get the tank cleaned (or these days you can replace it pretty cheaply)

exhaust gas leakage wouldnt cause the problem but if there was an inlet leak somewhere (ie getting air on the intake side) that would. So would too much accelerator pump on the carb. from this distance I couldnt tell you if it's too much fuel or not enough but either could cause it to die out under acceleration.

restomod@16 07-11-2010 11:41 PM

^ i was going to say a vacuum leak around the intake manifold. couldnt hurt to check?

swifty 07-12-2010 08:14 AM

I was thinking about replacing the gaskets for the rocker arm cover and for the intake manifold. the first one isnt showing any leaks but with the intake manifold I can see where a piece of the gasket has broken free. Im just quite neverous about trying to remove the intake manifold because it looks like out of all the bolts those ones arent going to move and I'd hate to break one of those.

Aussie66Fastback 07-13-2010 01:11 AM

dose them up with MCP or another commercial lubricant and wait a few days!

EZFEED 07-13-2010 01:15 AM

How are you removing an intake from a 200 6cyl????

restomod@16 07-14-2010 10:57 PM

haha my bad didnt read carefully. maybe he's talking about the valve covers?