Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Better Handling

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 04:13 PM
MPGmustang

Smile Better Handling

Hello forum, I'm new here. I've been busy over at the fordsix.com/forum and I must say i'm very pleased with what I've acomplished.

here's a little background.

I picked up a I6 200 1965 mustang back in jan 08, she came with a c4 but was factory coded with a 3speed manual, well march of 09 I dropped in a 89 t-5 behind the 6cyl, and a reman 1bbl carb. my mpg became 21mpg, alot better than the 14mpg when i bought the car.

just this week, I started up my new 6cyl with the folloing specs:
78 block and head
head ported and pollished 1.75 int/1.5 exh
cam is 264int/274exh 110* lobe centers and .450 lift
6 to 2 header, true dual all the way back with 14inch magna flows, guy at the car wash thought it was a 351w

Some day I'll get rid of my LOM dizzy and install a DUI HEI Distributor.

And i've added aftermarket A/C (i'm in phx AZ and it gets hot here)

I'm very happy with the build, and the sound.

Now for why I've come here.

I came here to research more on handling the road better, I don't know anything about the wheels except the brakes... very important I think. so i'm looking to for help and opinions on what can I do to get better handling while keeping a few items.

Things that are musts:
Keep my 4lug wheels, no 5 lug conversions
Keep my Manual steering, No PS Addon's
Keep my current Tire Sizes and Rims, 205/70-14

Other than that i'm open to suggestions for ANY modification to improve handling, ride, feel, cornering, etc...

Thanks
Richard
Old 07-22-2010, 07:17 PM
guitarman376
3rd Gear Member

Post a video of your car! Well like everyone would say, you can do the Shelby (Arning) drop and that's essentially free besides a drill bit and maybe the template. New shock tower braces and/or monte carlo bar are inexpensive modifications that make a huge difference in the feel of the car. Next consider subframe connectors (Tinman or similar look good). Larger diameter sway bars would also be a cost effective upgrade (either aftermarket or maybe the sway bars from a v8 are bigger). Next could be drop springs, roller spring perches, mid or reverse eye leaf springs, etc. Of course there are other options out there but I think most people would agree these are good areas to start
Old 07-22-2010, 08:03 PM
Aussie66Fastback
5th Gear Member

just replacing all the old ball joints and bushings would be a good start, a performance wheel alignment and replace shocks and springs.

+1 the arning drop makes a big improvement very cheaply.

IMO avoid setting the car up too stiff. this does not necessarily equate to better handling unless all your local roads are as smooth as glass.
Old 07-22-2010, 10:50 PM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

Give this a reading http://home.bresnan.net/~dazed/suspension101
Old 07-24-2010, 06:11 PM
BeastMachine67
2nd Gear Member

These are all good choices. I've added a monte carlo bar, export brace and a 1 1/8 sway bar, 1' lower 620 springs and I have noticed a huge difference! The only thing now is trying to get some upgrades in the back. I noticed that on tight turns the front seems to drop and hug the ground but, the rear seems to want to slide
Old 07-24-2010, 07:54 PM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MPGmustang
I picked up a I6 200 1965 mustang back in jan 08, she came with a c4 but was factory coded with a 3speed manual, well march of 09 I dropped in a 89 t-5 behind the 6cyl, and a reman 1bbl carb. my mpg became 21mpg, alot better than the 14mpg when i bought the car.

I came here to research more on handling the road better, I don't know anything about the wheels except the brakes... very important I think. so i'm looking to for help and opinions on what can I do to get better handling while keeping a few items.

Things that are musts:
Keep my 4lug wheels, no 5 lug conversions
Keep my Manual steering, No PS Addon's
Keep my current Tire Sizes and Rims, 205/70-14

Other than that i'm open to suggestions for ANY modification to improve handling, ride, feel, cornering, etc...
Do the front end stuff together.
• Export brace
• 1" front sway bar
• "Arning/Shelby drop" Arning/Shelby Suspension Drop
• GT front and rear springs
• Kayaba Gas-A-Just shocks

Do this, and you won't know it's the same car.

Last edited by 2+2GT; 12-12-2010 at 07:52 AM.
Old 07-24-2010, 08:13 PM
Oxnard Montalvo
4th Gear Member

All the suggestions will improve the handling, the only thing I'd like to add is to upgrade the tires. It can make the single biggest improvement. It's like playing basketball in wingtips and switching to sneakers.

Unless you like snowtire thread your choices will be very limited with a 14" wheel, but if you step up to a 15" the options open up quite a bit.

A 15" wheel also gives you the ability to fit disc brakes too.
Old 07-25-2010, 01:15 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

He wants to keep it 4 lug rims that will fit are kinda hard to get but there is two different disc kits for it tho.
Old 07-25-2010, 06:46 AM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

You can put front discs inside the stock 4-bolt 14x4.5 wheels, no need to change wheels and tires to put discs on a six cylinder car.

But he's asking about handling today, so I didn't include that above. It's all relative, anyway. His 205/70-14 tires are no doubt modern radials, so his tires are about a spazillion percent better than the 6.90-14 bias-ply non-belted tires the car came with. Since the original springs, shocks, and sway bar were matched to those tires, his current tires are now the strong point, and he needs to upgrade the suspension to match them. I'm running 205/70R14 tires on my 66 GT, and I have the suspension set up as I described above. It will corner, accelerate, and brake far beyond legal speeds.

Last edited by 2+2GT; 07-25-2010 at 07:17 AM.
Old 07-25-2010, 07:35 AM
Oxnard Montalvo
4th Gear Member

I guess I missed the part about his present radials...

Since when does improved handling not include improved braking?

Quick Reply: Better Handling