Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

A woman's project: 68 Fastback

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 07:04 AM
oxfordbp
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by NoReins
He sends pictures almost everyday so I know she's on her way.
Of that's the case, we wanna see too!!!!
Fricken awesome thread!
Old 12-30-2011, 04:59 PM
NoReins
3rd Gear Member

Okay, if you want pictures I'll give them from now on.

I don't have any from Rusty, but here is what Aaron and I did today. This past week we had our front seat frames sandblasted by a good friend. Then today I sprayed them with 2 heavy coats of SPI epoxy. This weekend we will start to reassemble them.

Old 01-11-2012, 10:05 PM
bdog
1st Gear Member

Wow great thread, sorry that if you have already addressed this but I am wondering how you managed to mold the quarter extensions to the panel??? I have always wanted to do this but i have been weary of potential separation/cracks... Thanks!
Old 01-12-2012, 05:36 AM
NoReins
3rd Gear Member

I was waiting until the repairs had totally been done before updating on what has gone on over the past few days. The one original area of the car that we thought was solid and were excited about, turned out to be exactly the opposite. From the outside metal of the pillars, everything looked fine. Brian and Rusty have replaced this area on 5 cars so he knew he needed to dig deeper. We're glad he knew what to look for, because we would have had no idea that it was like this.

I'm not going to comment step by step but you can follow the procedure and see the different layers of metal that are in this area. Again, none of the rust was on the outer layer, it was all hidden underneath. Fortunately they now remake the pillars, however towards the end of the pictures you can see how Brian had to remake a lot of the rusted out puzzle pieces on the driver's side. He is an incredible metal fabricator and to be honest even though it sucked it had to be done, we are blessed they found this and did the repair, and not us. Okay now you can go run out and check yours

He poked around with an awl here, that's how he knew to dig deeper.

New Pillars...

Epoxy primer...

And...DONE! Don't ask me how he grinds those welds, I have no idea - but it truly is... amazing.

Old 01-12-2012, 05:50 AM
NoReins
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by bdog
Wow great thread, sorry that if you have already addressed this but I am wondering how you managed to mold the quarter extensions to the panel??? I have always wanted to do this but i have been weary of potential separation/cracks... Thanks!
The first most important thing is to get the quarter extension to fit as if you were going to bolt it on. After we had the fit perfect to the quarter, we added fiberglass filler on the inside edge of the extension to make for a greater bonding surface between the extension and the quarter panel. We used 3M 8115 for this. Another great tip is to not tighten the extension 100% while the glue is curing, otherwise all of your adhesive will squeeze out, leaving only a small amount to mate the surfaces. After the part has cured, sand off any excess and apply a nice coat of SPI epoxy and then you can do your body work.

Yes, there is a risk of potential separation when bonding two different surfaces (steel-fiberglass) however, if done properly you should not have an issue.
Old 01-12-2012, 06:11 AM
Gigger

Wow, what an awesome build thread, very nice, Gigger
Old 01-12-2012, 06:48 PM
Joes65
1st Gear Member

Amazing repair. It's really scary to think rust can still be hiding like that after the thorough job you guys did stripping that car.
Old 02-07-2012, 07:16 PM
Old Mustanger
3rd Gear Member

How about some rough budget numbers for this project? It would help anyone else pondering one.
Great job on the project! It is nice to see a job well done. I have done a couple like these & they can be addictive.
Old 02-08-2012, 06:42 AM
NoReins
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Old Mustanger
How about some rough budget numbers for this project? It would help anyone else pondering one.
Great job on the project! It is nice to see a job well done. I have done a couple like these & they can be addictive.
I really cannot even give you a rough estimate because I have no idea. All I know is that I have a huge folder upstairs with receipts, and I will not dare go near it until the car is finished (so I can stare at it and smile) and I have a good couple of strong drinks in me. The one that sold at BJ the guy had 85k in it, and it looked like it was nicely built.
Old 02-08-2012, 06:49 AM
NoReins
3rd Gear Member

I don't have too many updates on my car at the moment but here are a couple pictures of a 67 Shelby that they almost have finished up. We were in Florida last week to visit, and got to see this stunner in person. Aaron had to wipe the drool off my face. There is a reason my car is here!!!

This is one that we took while we were there, the car was pretty dusty but you can still see the awesome reflection.

Quick Reply: A woman's project: 68 Fastback