Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

1967 mustang brake conversion question

Old 07-28-2010, 10:27 PM
05gtgreen
2nd Gear Member

Default 1967 mustang brake conversion question

I just purchased a 67 mustang (restored) and want to put some disc brakes on the front. It has a 289 automatic, power steering, manual drum brakes (will be putting a 5spd in later). I mostly just drive the car around town and on the highway, it will never see the track or racing at all. Would a manual front disc brake make a huge difference? If someone could give me some kit names and prices to look for I would greatly appreciate it. The cheaper the better as I spent most of my money on the car itself, lol. Thanks in advance!
Old 07-28-2010, 11:01 PM
1slow67
ROTM Moderator

I'm putting a kit together for my 67 and hope to have it done by next weekend. Mine will cost me about $360, but if you buy a complete kit for the front you are looking at around $600+.
Old 07-28-2010, 11:01 PM
chris66dad
2nd Gear Member

I have CSRP kit on mine. It comes in a kit for 530 and includes everything you will need. Give Dennis a call and he will answer all of your questions. Very helpful, professional and knowledgeable.

It stops great and best of all it does not fade and it stops in a straight line. The best mod I did on the 66 for performance and safety.

http://www.discbrakeswap.com/
Old 07-29-2010, 08:22 AM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

I also have a CSRP kit. The one that would best suit your car is the OE-style KH setup. It comes with everything you need, minus hard lines and fluid. Unlike most other kits, it doesn't require you to replace the spindles, and all of the replacement parts are OE for your car. This means you can walk into a parts store and ask for brake pads and rotors for a '67 Mustang rather than a Granada, S10, Ranger, etc.

However, to answer your first question, disc brakes are not absolutely necessary given your intended use. I drove my car as a daily driver for 7 years with manual drums. They take a little getting used to, but they do stop the car quick enough. As long as they're functioning properly, you may consider keeping them on the car until later down the road.

Disc brakes won't necessarily shorten your stopping distance. What they will do is give you more control over braking. Braking is smoother, straight (a concern with drum brakes), and easier to modulate with disc brakes. Was it worth the swap for me? Definitely. But I admit it would be overkill for someone who didn't drive their car as hard as I drive mine.

Basically, think about it first. If your brakes are in good operating condition, you may focus on other areas of the car first. But if you're interested in beefing up the motor and suspension and driving the car harder, you're going to need disc brakes.
Old 07-29-2010, 09:19 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

+1, straight braking. my drums were always pulling on the steering wheel. adjusted them plenty of times, but it always came back. no issue with discs in front so far. i had to change them for the reason my drums were 6cyl (tiny) and that just didn't match the V8.
Old 07-31-2010, 01:01 AM
05gtgreen
2nd Gear Member

The brakes were just redone on the car before I bought it, new drums and lines, and it stops really good. I was just wondering if there is a big difference between drums to disc. I want to put a 5spd in the car, which I might do first now.
Old 07-31-2010, 09:05 AM
gsxrken

Originally Posted by Starfury
However, to answer your first question, disc brakes are not absolutely necessary given your intended use. I drove my car as a daily driver for 7 years with manual drums. They take a little getting used to, but they do stop the car quick enough. As long as they're functioning properly, you may consider keeping them on the car until later down the road.

Disc brakes won't necessarily shorten your stopping distance. What they will do is give you more control over braking. Braking is smoother, straight (a concern with drum brakes)
Very true. Remember the limiting factor of your stopping distance is your tires and the weight of your car. After two hard high speed stops, discs will perform much better. My .02 is go for the 5 spd first- you'll love the steeper first gear, the gas mileage bump, and noise reduction on the highway that allows a conversation again.
Old 07-31-2010, 10:52 AM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by gsxrken
Very true. Remember the limiting factor of your stopping distance is your tires and the weight of your car. After two hard high speed stops, discs will perform much better. My .02 is go for the 5 spd first- you'll love the steeper first gear, the gas mileage bump, and noise reduction on the highway that allows a conversation again.
Very true! The drum brakes have virtually the same swept area as discs- the difference is discs cool faster, recovering quicker from repeated hard use. If you are not engaging in performance driving, you'll notice little difference. On the other hand, you'll notice the improvement from the T5 every minute you drive. I'm not saying don't switch to disc brakes. I did, a long time ago, mainly because my driving style might be described as 'aggressive'. I have also competed in autocross events, where discs are a practical necessity.

Often people change to disc brakes because the manual drums are 'hard'. Newsflash- discs are 'harder', because the calipers require higher pressure, that's why such systems require a proportioning valve. The type of driving you describe implies you want the brakes to be 'easier'. If so, just put power boost on them. It's period correct, this was optional at the time.

Last edited by 2+2GT; 07-31-2010 at 10:57 AM.
Old 08-02-2010, 01:51 PM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

I have manual disc on mine with a Granada swap and a dual reservior mastercylinder and it works really well.
Old 08-03-2010, 11:20 PM
05gtgreen
2nd Gear Member

For those of you that put a 5spd in your car, did you use a cable clutch setup or a hydraulic clutch. My friends has the complete package with a cable clutch he used in his 67 cougar, which he is willing to give me. Just wondering what the pro's and con's are of each. Thanks.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1967 mustang brake conversion question