Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Coupe to Fastback, is this what I need?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 08:02 PM
hightower2011
4th Gear Member

Default Coupe to Fastback, is this what I need?

Found on craigslist. Very brief description that wasn't descriptive (ironic). I realize I'll need new windshields, trunk lid and door glass, but otherwise, is this all I need? Looks to me like it was cut off like it should be to put on a coupe. I'll obviously be inspecting it in person but I thought I get y'all's opinions first.

The hood on my second coupe is a little crumpled, so I think this would be a great chance to try to make use of my second mustang body.

Thanks guys
Old 08-02-2010, 11:14 PM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

If you want to use the fastback back seat you need need all the mounting taps off the back floor and the back half of the interior is different.As cheap as fastbacks are starting to get on craigslist i would sell the coupe and buy a fastback.
Old 08-03-2010, 12:31 AM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

coupe and fastback windshield glass is the same from 65-68 cars
Old 08-03-2010, 11:49 PM
hightower2011
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by andrewmp6
If you want to use the fastback back seat you need need all the mounting taps off the back floor and the back half of the interior is different.As cheap as fastbacks are starting to get on craigslist i would sell the coupe and buy a fastback.
Well I have 2 coupes, one with a slightly damaged hood, so I was just considering lowballing this guy and seeing if I get lucky!

Originally Posted by rmodel65
coupe and fastback windshield glass is the same from 65-68 cars
Thanks for the info!

Any other thoughts?
Old 08-04-2010, 01:41 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

The door glass and back window are the only glass that is different between the two.If you can get the roof for like a grand or less go for it.And if you don't care about a backseat just make or buy a rear seat delete like some of the shelbys used.
Old 08-04-2010, 11:23 PM
hightower2011
4th Gear Member

The door glass and back window are the only glass that is different between the two.If you can get the roof for like a grand or less go for it.And if you don't care about a backseat just make or buy a rear seat delete like some of the shelbys used.
Well, good news. Made the call today and did some talking. I found some very interesting info.

While it really means almost nothing now, the roof seen here came off the 18th Shelby GT350 ever made. Apparently a fellow paid this restorer to combine 2 Shelbys to make one (because one was almost completely rusted out).
Obviously it looks and is like any other fastback roof, but it's kinda cool to know where this roof came from.
Anyways, I'm gonna go drive to see it Saturday with a trailer. If it looks relatively good, I'm taking it home with me.
Old 08-05-2010, 06:26 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

Id ask where the rest of the car went to.
Old 08-05-2010, 06:56 PM
hightower2011
4th Gear Member

Id ask where the rest of the car went to.
It was combined to make the whole shelby. When all was said and done the original owner left it to pay for some extra work that the seller had done. Of course the owner took the VIN plates but as I was told the only usable parts on the car were stripped after that, and the hood was cut off. I assume the rusty hull of the car was crushed.
Old 08-06-2010, 12:38 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

That sucks a shelby vin on a dynacorn body would bring some cash.Let us know if you buy the roof or not.Also ask if he has the door glass for it while your there.
Old 08-06-2010, 05:27 AM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by hightower2011
While it really means almost nothing now, the roof seen here came off the 18th Shelby GT350 ever made.
I don't see how. That's obviously a 67-68 style roof, the GT350 had been in production for two years by then.
Originally Posted by hightower2011
Apparently a fellow paid this restorer to combine 2 Shelbys to make one (because one was almost completely rusted out).
Only a complete moron would use a real Shelby as a parts donor to repair a Shelby. He'd be throwing away thousands of dollars on a few pieces of sheetmetal no different on any six-cylinder Mustang coupe, and destroying a rare and valuable car in the process.

And you'll need a lot of structural and non-structural parts not included in that cutoff roof. Some are available from Dynacorn, some are not.

Quick Reply: Coupe to Fastback, is this what I need?