Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Advice needed on 67 Mustang

Old 08-10-2010, 09:31 PM
OCHOHILL
2nd Gear Member

in this order

In my opinion, all builds start with the tires and wheels
Engine
transmission and shifter
steering and driver seat
driveshaft
chassis mods
Complete the suspension, if it isn't done already.
Radiator and heating system
brake system
fuel system
exhaust system
wiring
interior
exterior body parts/emblems

Do some research before you pull the trigger on an engine combination. Big blocks are great for dragracing. But, they make the front end heavy and sluggish. Most people love the manual transmissions in these old cars. They easy to find inexpensive ones (T5 from a HO mustang) shouldn't be bolted behind a lot of power. A real nice combo for a 67 is a stroked 351 (408) in front of a T56 magnum 6 speed. Which reminds me, what gear ratio is in your rear end? What size tires and wheels are you running?
Old 08-10-2010, 09:32 PM
408 Stroker

I have a 351 windsor stroked to a 408 forged with a 850 card and alum. AFR 210 Heads and hyd. cam and a AOD for that long trip and used the same gas tank(stop to fill it alot!) just my thoughts!
Old 08-11-2010, 08:01 AM
Novice-Owner-Marc
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by OCHOHILL
in this order
A real nice combo for a 67 is a stroked 351 (408) in front of a T56 magnum 6 speed. Which reminds me, what gear ratio is in your rear end? What size tires and wheels are you running?
OK, now I didn't lie when I made the handle/name of NOVICE. What do you mean by 351 (408)? Is that like a 351W or 351C? And I just don't understand what you mean by (408)?

I had a guy ping me yesterday about a putting in a Chevy 350 in it. He says it has 23000 miles on it and I can get that and the tranny for $500. Any thoughts?

I don't know what the ratio is yet. I have to get the back end in the air to test that out, and I haven't had the time.

Thanks for the step by step. It really means alot and well thanks.
Old 08-11-2010, 12:44 PM
OCHOHILL
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Novice-Owner-Marc
OK, now I didn't lie when I made the handle/name of NOVICE. What do you mean by 351 (408)? Is that like a 351W or 351C? And I just don't understand what you mean by (408)?

I had a guy ping me yesterday about a putting in a Chevy 350 in it. He says it has 23000 miles on it and I can get that and the tranny for $500. Any thoughts?

I don't know what the ratio is yet. I have to get the back end in the air to test that out, and I haven't had the time.

Thanks for the step by step. It really means alot and well thanks.
Please don't put a chevy engine in your car. I meant a 351 windsor stroked to a 408. I don't recommend a cleveland for a novice. Parts and info are harder to come by.

I get it now, NOVICE. That's OK I was in your same situation about 1.5 years ago. Build the car for how you intend to drive it. So you need to figure that out first. Daily driver vs weekend driver vs 3 times a year track car. Try to figure out what you must have and what you don't want. Street cars rarely see a lot of RPM so don't get all hyped up about high rpm high horsepower cars. Torque is what makes a street car fun. Generally speaking low end torque comes from displacement.

Think about how you are going to use the car, what wheels and tires you want to run and find out the rear gear ratio and get back to us. This way the forum members can recommend a direction for your goals and the parts you have. Pictures with a list of parts you have and don't have can be very helpful in assisting you. BTW, I subscribe to the make it handle and stop then make it fast idealogy.

Budget, skills, tools, workspace and timeline can play a factor in your build.
Old 08-17-2010, 09:11 AM
Novice-Owner-Marc
2nd Gear Member

I found a 5.0L engine out of a 1990 Mustang. From what the seller is saying, it hasn't run since he has owned it, so obviously it needs to be rebuilt. Does anyone have any suggestions on whether I should pick up the engine for 1967 Mustang, or if I should keep on searching?
Old 08-17-2010, 10:54 AM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

It depends what he wants for it. If its a good deal, I would pick it up and rebuild it.
Old 08-17-2010, 11:45 AM
Novice-Owner-Marc
2nd Gear Member

$200 for the engine and an AOD transmission out of a 1990 5.0L Mustang.
Old 08-18-2010, 06:25 AM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

I would take it for 200 bucks.
Old 08-18-2010, 02:00 PM
OCHOHILL
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Novice-Owner-Marc
Hello everyone,

My name is Marc and I recently bought a 1967 Ford Mustang Coupe off of eBay. I got it home and stored away. Here is a little more background. I bought the car from a body shop that had restored all of the body and frame with new parts and removed all the rust. They also put a 5 lug 9 inch rear axle, and updated all of the brake system to disc brakes. The car does not have a transmission or engine. So with all that explained here are my issues/questions.

1. Does anyone have a suggestion on which engine I should put in it?
2. Since only the body and whatnot are done, does anyone have suggestions on what I should work on next?
3. Should I reinstall the fuel tank and gas link or the engine or what?

I am completely new to Mustangs, and restoring cars. So if anyone can give me help, I would be very appreciative.

Thanks in advance. Talk to you all soon.
1. anywhere from a used 302 to a stroked 351 making a 408-all depends on budget $1000 to $15000
2. the next thing to work on is a good place to work then start a small reference library and read up. The more you read and learn the more time and money it will save you. Trust me. Read, read read.
3. Pictures first then we can point you in the right direction. I say this because you are a novice and even you are not sure of what you have. You may be missing some important parts. Pictures will help a lot.

Trust me on the reading. Building a car like this is easy for an expert. A few weeks/months of reading up in books and the internet goes a long way. Get organized and plan your attack on each portion of the build. Brakes, suspension, transmission etc.
Old 08-19-2010, 12:27 PM
Novice-Owner-Marc
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by OCHOHILL
2. the next thing to work on is a good place to work then start a small reference library and read up. The more you read and learn the more time and money it will save you. Trust me. Read, read read.

Trust me on the reading. Building a car like this is easy for an expert. A few weeks/months of reading up in books and the internet goes a long way. Get organized and plan your attack on each portion of the build. Brakes, suspension, transmission etc.
Any suggestions on where to start? Should I be reading repair manuals? Or people's threads? Or what? Suggestions welcome.

Thank you in advance to everyone for the help. I am working on pictures. The car sits in a single car garage which has most of the parts inside or on top of it. So like I said, the pictures are coming.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Advice needed on 67 Mustang