Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

1968 coupe w/ saddle deluxe interior questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 10:26 AM
jcoby
2nd Gear Member

Default 1968 coupe w/ saddle deluxe interior questions

I recently decided that my '67 was too much work to fix so I went on a hunt for another '67-68 and came back with a C-code coupe for a song. I wasn't real familiar with the '68 interior and it turns out it was originally a Wimbledon White with Saddle Crinkle Vinyl and Saddle Kiwi Vinyl, Luxury Interior according to the mustang decoder. It's currently oxidized safety orange with a black interior.

Is the deluxe interior worth restoring? It appears to be all there plus the overhead console (including the aluminum kick trim on the doors). I need to make sure the seat brackets are still there for the lower seat trim.

Does anyone have pics of what the saddle interior is supposed to look like? I can't find any pics.

Were all 289 blocks C8 year code? This one is a C5 or C6 which makes me think it wasn't the original block.

Anybody need parts from a T-code 3-speed '67? I have a complete, running car to part out now.
Old 08-23-2010, 09:12 PM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

I wasn't real familiar with the '68 interior and it turns out it was originally a Wimbledon White with Saddle Crinkle Vinyl and Saddle Kiwi Vinyl, Luxury Interior according to the mustang decoder. It's currently oxidized safety orange with a black interior.
Orange? Where's it been, Death Valley?

Is the deluxe interior worth restoring?
You betcha.

It appears to be all there plus the overhead console (including the aluminum kick trim on the doors). I need to make sure the seat brackets are still there for the lower seat trim.
There is no "lower seat trim" on 68 deluxe seats. Nor upper seat trim, either. 68 deluxe seats differed only in the addition of two chrome buttons on each seat back.

Does anyone have pics of what the saddle interior is supposed to look like? I can't find any pics.
See below.

Were all 289 blocks C8 year code? This one is a C5 or C6 which makes me think it wasn't the original block.
The C6 289 block was used for quite a while, the code was assigned when the version was engineered, not when the calendar changed. What's the date code?

Old 08-24-2010, 04:46 AM
jcoby
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the info and pics. That's not too bad of a color. The buck tag date code is July 17, 1968 and it's definitely a C5 block. That seems a bit late in the run to get a 289 block (unit #221030).

I guess I got other years confused with the seat trim. There isn't a lot of good info on the deluxe packages on the net that I could find; especially for the '68.

My seats definitely have the chrome buttons. It looks like someone along the line dyed or spray painted everything black. I can see the original saddle color in the seats and headliner where the seams are coming apart.

Were the rear quarters (the metal panels next to the rear seat) on the coupe covered with anything or have some sort of trim? There is a rounded-triangle cutout that looks like something used to mount there.

And yeah, it's orange. And white. And wimbledon white. And black. And grey. But mostly orange. The trunk and hood have some red on them too for good measure.
Old 08-24-2010, 05:32 AM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

The quarter trim panels in your car would have been upholstered in lightly padded saddle crinkle vinyl, with small caps, also saddle, screwed to the upper front corner. These are available in repro, but are chrome, since the 65-67 used chrome caps.
Old 08-24-2010, 04:09 PM
jcoby
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the info.