Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

1965 fast back with major rust

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 06:49 AM
NoReins
3rd Gear Member

Sweeeeet! Thanks for the explanation. Very cool. It seems as things are going a bit more smoothly for you. I know with the detail and the time you are putting into this, it will turn out awesome. I hope we get to see more, soon!
Old 01-18-2011, 09:30 PM
bent metal
2nd Gear Member

Patching up the floor box things.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 01-18-2011, 09:43 PM
bent metal
2nd Gear Member

These are some kind of seat bracket that goes under the back seat. One of the little feet/tabs were rusted off.
[IMG][/IMG]
Made a new piece to weld in.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Welded. Now if anyone ever removes the back seat, and the interior from the back, then wedges their head down in behind the quarter panel and under the quarter window,!!! This piece will look pretty much factory. Because that's about the only way anyone will ever see it.
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 01-19-2011, 01:25 PM
zmetalmilitia
4th Gear Member

Dude, you have crazy metal skills. Can't even tell it's been fixed, other than it looks new. Very nice work.
Old 01-20-2011, 12:50 PM
bent metal
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by THUMPIN455
I need a bead roller.. I hammer form almost everything. Its the long way around it for sure. You do very nice work, makes me look pathetic.
Thanks for the compliment! I'm sure your work is fine. Let's see it. Do you have a thread going?

As for the hammer form. I still do them, sometimes. But I try and avoid it because they take a lot of time to make, I end up with a bunch of them sitting around that I don't want to throw away because I think I might use them again. And they take up space for years. But they sure keep a flat panel flat, when that's critical.
Old 01-20-2011, 12:55 PM
bent metal
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by zmetalmilitia
Dude, you have crazy metal skills. Can't even tell it's been fixed, other than it looks new. Very nice work.
Thank you very much!

Doing sheet metal work is my hobby. I think it's interesting. But if I don't find some work soon it's going to be my job. Been out of work two years now. ...Don't even get me started on China.
Old 01-20-2011, 01:14 PM
bent metal
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by NoReins
Sweeeeet! Thanks for the explanation. Very cool. It seems as things are going a bit more smoothly for you. I know with the detail and the time you are putting into this, it will turn out awesome. I hope we get to see more, soon!
Thanks, your input and your thread have been absolutely fantastic. Without both of those things I would of made some big mistakes on this project. So thanks again, and I hope someone can learn something from me as well.

And yes! Things are going more smoothly now. I'm coming into the home stretch on the metal work, I think. I'll post more pictures soon. When I can get them organized enough that they make sence.

And thanks to everyone for the words of encouragement. This is a very overwhelming project for me. It definetly helps to have people around that have done this work, and just to have some one tell ya' to keep going. Really does help.

Alright, back to work. I'm going out to do the drip rails!
Old 01-25-2011, 03:11 PM
bent metal
2nd Gear Member

Alright, so I've had to jump around so much on this car that I can't really go in any kind of order.

You already saw the trunk floor. Next was the left rear quarter. Now that's it's pretty much done, I had to narrow the outer wheel house, shorten up the panel just in front of the rear wheel. Make a new piece in the door jamb, and make some stuff that divided the trunk from the back seat. Also move the trunk corner where it met the quarter, in about a quarter of an inch. That's about it for that side.
Attached Thumbnails 1965 fast back with major rust-dsc01956-small-.jpg   1965 fast back with major rust-dsc01993-small-.jpg   1965 fast back with major rust-dsc02210-small-.jpg   1965 fast back with major rust-dsc02212-small-.jpg   1965 fast back with major rust-dsc02216-small-.jpg  

Old 01-25-2011, 03:21 PM
bent metal
2nd Gear Member

Right side quarter. This side fit a lot better, except where it met the tail light area. All said and done, I had to lengthen this side, as posted earlier. Then make some stuff up under the wheel opening. Other than that, not too bad.
hmm, think I'll switch back to the other way of posting pics. More work, but I like the other way better.
Attached Thumbnails 1965 fast back with major rust-dsc01954-small-.jpg   1965 fast back with major rust-dsc01994-small-.jpg   1965 fast back with major rust-dsc02182-small-.jpg   1965 fast back with major rust-dsc02012-small-.jpg   1965 fast back with major rust-dsc02179-small-.jpg  

Old 01-25-2011, 04:22 PM
bent metal
2nd Gear Member

I have a question. Anyone ever mess around with pot metal? I'm thinking about cutting a wedge out of the right side tail light thingy and welding it back together, so it fits the quarter. On the left side I'm thinking about heating it up and bowing it down so it too fits it's quarter panel.
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
I've never tried to weld pot metal. I'm a little nervous about it.

Quick Reply: 1965 fast back with major rust