Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

1965 fast back with major rust

Old 01-25-2011, 05:25 PM
mr_velocity
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by bent metal
I have a question. Anyone ever mess around with pot metal? I'm thinking about cutting a wedge out of the right side tail light thingy and welding it back together, so it fits the quarter. On the left side I'm thinking about heating it up and bowing it down so it too fits it's quarter panel.

I've never tried to weld pot metal. I'm a little nervous about it.
When I stopped by Glazier Nolan they were showing me a vert they replaced the rear qtr on, instead of cutting the extensions they cut the qtr to make it match. They had to do quite a bit of cutting. I was surprised.

Wish you were on the east coast, could def do some bartering on your skills. Absolutely amazing.
Old 01-25-2011, 07:14 PM
nearbeer

I think a few of us who have watched this project want to get our hands dirty and try to bend metal like you have. Can you give a run down of the tools that you used in this project?

Thanks,

NearBeer
Old 01-25-2011, 08:20 PM
bent metal
2nd Gear Member

I'd love to. I very much appreciate the help I've gotten' from all of you, if I can return the favor, that would be great!

Tools?? Well, a lot, I guess. Depends on what I'm doing. If you could be more specific I could tell you exactly what I used.

If you want, I could do a "how-to" on the next thing I do? If you want??
Old 01-25-2011, 09:29 PM
hightower2011
4th Gear Member

How-to guides would be great. We all know you've got more than enough work on your hands, so don't do it if you're too busy.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:41 AM
nearbeer

Can you do a tutorial on the B pillar from post #85? The compound curve that makes the transition from the lower door sill/rocker panel to the vertical part of the pillar looks challenging. Or, the seat brackets you made in post #104?
Old 01-28-2011, 08:20 PM
bent metal
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by nearbeer
Can you do a tutorial on the B pillar from post #85? The compound curve that makes the transition from the lower door sill/rocker panel to the vertical part of the pillar looks challenging. Or, the seat brackets you made in post #104?
Well, the door jamb I think you can see what I did. Look at the photos again and you'll notice I split up the part into three pieces. Then I 'tipped' the sharp bends. After that it was just a matter of shrinking and stretching the flanges to get the right shape. Then weld it together. No compound curves in that one, it just looks like it is.

The seat brackets have no shape at all. Only form. So if you look at the pictures you'll see the pattern I made. From that I bent the inside bends to the correct angle, then tipped the outside most bends. Finally I curved the little catch by hand hammering. That's it.

If you want, I'll do a really detailed post on the next part I have to make. Something that is a common problem? How about the back window?
Old 01-28-2011, 08:32 PM
bent metal
2nd Gear Member

This is the back window channel. I wonder what you all have done in this situation? I've fixed this kind of thing a few different ways. It always sucks. So before I post what I'm going to do, what have you done?
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 01-29-2011, 02:10 AM
THUMPIN455
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by bent metal
This is the back window channel. I wonder what you all have done in this situation? I've fixed this kind of thing a few different ways. It always sucks. So before I post what I'm going to do, what have you done?
[IMG][/IMG]

I used reproduction pieces, cut the front off a donor, and fabbed my own patches for the parts I couldnt get. I had to do that on a 65 GTO.

http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z...GTO/?start=all
Old 01-29-2011, 10:49 AM
nearbeer

Default my $.02

I will have to face the same obstacle on the windows too. I will also brace off the inside with HSS tube or structural angle to maintain shape while I replace the rot where the weatherstriping has to go.

Use a repro outer rear deck panel ($80 from NPD) for the center portion then use a stretcher/shrinker on 19/20ga. sheet to make the transitions from the deck panel to the roof.

Of course, I can only speculate at this point; I just now got my 80 gal. compressor up and running and now have to save for the sandblasting job for my own fastback!

Cheers,

NearBeer

Last edited by nearbeer; 01-29-2011 at 10:50 AM. Reason: poor grammar in intial post
Old 01-29-2011, 12:35 PM
bent metal
2nd Gear Member

Thumpin455, wow that GTO is awesome. That's a lot of work, atleast as much as this Mustang. Maybe more. Very nice.
I noticed in your pics how you attached the floor pans. Are they a welded solid lap joint? Or butt welded? hmm, now I'm wondering if I did enough on this car. I'll get some pictures posted soon.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1965 fast back with major rust