Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

New Member with a 67

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 11:15 AM
March2304

Default New Member with a 67

Dropping in to say hi. I just picked up a 67 289 vinyl top all original with only 75000 miles on it. Even has the original factory data plate on the door and im only owner #3. Its a work in progress but I got it running and drive it any chance I get. Winter setting in soon, Im anxious to get into it and start the extreme restoration. Any help offered would be greatly appreciated. Posted on the regular forum but thought I would say hi in the classic section since ill be spending all my time in here.

I was able to upload an album and thats currently where my photos are. I know we all love photos.
Old 08-24-2010, 11:49 AM
March2304

Figured out the picture thing.

Old 08-24-2010, 12:26 PM
MustangFTW

thats weird i have the same exact car but you see the carb cover how it has a pipe leading out of it it seems theres another pipe that would connect to it in the left hand side kinda hiding next to engine mine doesn't have that its been covered in a metal mesh and held on by a wire......ill see if i can clarify this in a picture

Last edited by MustangFTW; 08-24-2010 at 12:35 PM.

Old 08-24-2010, 03:10 PM
Jonk67
3rd Gear Member

Welcome aboard March, looks like a nice clean find and a good starter, looks like it's got most of the original parts. Be sure to start a new thread when you start to fix/mod/replace anything, a lot of times there are better and often cheaper replacements. You'll get more answers if you keep your questions focused on one area vs. asking 6 questions that apply to various parts. It helps to have your car specs in your sig also - model/engine/trans/brakes, etc.

Take lots of pics inside/outside and keep as many old parts as you can, they come in handy figuring out how they go on and I've modded some of mine to save money.

I bet with a bottle of compound and a lot of elbow grease you could bring that paint job back out.

MustangFTW, I think they had the air cleaner off to look at the carb. and just dropped it on sideways temp., those two pipes connect to make it warm up faster in the winter as it feeds hot air from the exh. manifold to the carb and then the flap in the air cleaner closes once it's warmed up, kind of like a heat stove.
Jon
Old 08-24-2010, 04:17 PM
March2304

Thanks for the welcome guys. I think I got the sig thing figured finally. MustangFTW yeay that picture was taken when I bought it. At the time it wasn't running thanks to a busted valve retainer and valve lock on the intake valve on the passenger side. So the air cleaner is all wacked in that photo. All fixed now though. Good eye.

The only original parts taken off the car so far is the radio, but I still have that on the work bench. I did not cut the dash to put in the new one. (big no no I hear) Im thinking about buffing the heck out of it but with winter coming Im just planning what I will be afford to do the rest of this year. I think Ill do the buff thing for next year being that I dont think a paint job is attainable this winter. I will definitely keep a thread up to date with pictures though.

Nice 67 btw Jonk67.
Old 08-24-2010, 09:21 PM
Jonk67
3rd Gear Member

Thanks for the complement, it's getting there slowly.
Don't cut the dash for a new radio, you can get a repop bezel and cut it or I picked up an original radio bezel on fleabay that someone had drilled holes in already so I bought it and dremeled it out to fit a DIN radio:

This is about the easiest way to mount a DIN radio, I could even swap in my stock one with my original bezel if I wanted to for a show.
Jon
Old 08-24-2010, 11:26 PM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

Thats cool. I really like those 5 slot mags.
Old 08-25-2010, 09:04 PM
hightower2011
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by tx65coupe
Thats cool. I really like those 5 slot mags.
Same here. I seem to be seeing them more and more often on classic mustangs as of recent, and they look great!

My old man gave me a set of mags from his '68 GTO and I'm probably gonna use them on my mustang. Of course being original and 40 years old, they're gonna need some cleaning up!
Old 08-26-2010, 04:32 AM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

If they are from a GM car, the bolt pattern will be different. Are they factory wheels?
Old 08-26-2010, 06:49 AM
hightower2011
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by tx65coupe
If they are from a GM car, the bolt pattern will be different. Are they factory wheels?
They're not, which is why I think they might work. I have yet to test them though.

Edit:
I just looked it up and the GTO is 5x4 3/4
And the mustang is obviously 5x4 1/2

Last edited by hightower2011; 08-26-2010 at 07:03 AM.

Quick Reply: New Member with a 67