Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Hello all, I need the foum's advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 08:22 AM
Novice-Owner-Marc
2nd Gear Member

Default Hello all, I need the foum's advice

Back in July I purchased a 1967 Ford Mustang rolling chassis, from a garage that had redone all of the frame and body. My situation is that there is no VIN number anywhere on the car. Does anyone have a suggestion as to what I should do?
Old 09-17-2010, 12:02 PM
NoReins
3rd Gear Member

Not everyone speak at once! You have a title, right? Vin numbers "stamped" on the inner fender aprons don't mean much because people commonly replace these sections when restoring. New parts don't come stamped and unless you have the VIN stamped they never will. The plate that matters the most on a 67 is the one on the driver's door. 68's also a vin identification plate on the dash and the door.

Hope this helps.
Old 09-17-2010, 12:08 PM
Gary H
4th Gear Member

Talk to your local DMV, laws are different in each state. No title when you bought it?
Old 09-17-2010, 12:09 PM
chip_127
1st Gear Member

Default Vin numbers

Check out the thread I started. About the third post down there is a picture showing where your vin numbers should be.
I am having problems with mine also. I have three different numbers on my car! Let me know what you come up with.

https://mustangforums.com/forum/clas...-problems.html

Last edited by chip_127; 09-17-2010 at 12:13 PM. Reason: added thread address
Old 09-17-2010, 12:09 PM
ozarks06
2nd Gear Member

The primary VIN is on the driver's side apron, in a little cutout. If they replaced the apron, it won't be there (unless theystamped the new one). I assume the door tag is missing. There is a second VIN on the passenger apron near the hood hinge. You'll have to remove the fender to see that one.
Old 09-17-2010, 12:11 PM
67t5ponycoupe
5th Gear Member

NoRiens is exactly wrong. The VIN on the door tag is the least important. The tag says "Not for Title or Registration " on it. The important VIN's are under the hood. If those panels have been replace without saving the VIN's then that shop is a bunch of idiots. Did you get a title with the car? You should have. They may have the old panels with the VIN's still hanging out at the shop. I would ask them about the old VIN's, if not you could restamp the VIN's under the hood.
Old 09-17-2010, 12:16 PM
NoReins
3rd Gear Member

Did you guys purchase without titles? My title identifies the vin for my fastback. I have a different vin on the inner fender apron because of replacement, but my DASH vin matched the vin on the title. Maybe Ohio is different regarding this subject but I would hope that a vin would be present on a title or bill of sale for all other states as well...
Old 09-17-2010, 12:34 PM
chip_127
1st Gear Member

Default Title

I bought mine from a guy in Alabama and in the state of Alabama you do not have to have a title for your car if it was made before 1975. I couldn't believe it myself but I called them just to make sure and he was right. In the state of Mississippi everthing has to have a title - even small trailers. Got to get as much money out of us as they can!
Anyway I sent off for my title using the vin that was on the bill of sale - which matched the vin on the door tag. Well earlier this week I decided I would decode it for the heck of it and it showed that it was a 2+2 fastback in springtime yellow!!! lol... It's a coupe and the original color was red. So I pulled the fenders and found two other, different, vin numbers. I did find the correct one finally and as soon as my other title comes in I am going to go to the dmv and see what I need to do to have it corrected. I am going to remove the door tag and trash it then cut out the other (incorrect) vin and restamp a new piece of sheet metal and weld it in place. Hopefully then everything will be good to go.
Old 09-17-2010, 01:07 PM
5'Oclocksomewhere
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 67t5ponycoupe
NoRiens is exactly wrong. The VIN on the door tag is the least important. The tag says "Not for Title or Registration " on it. The important VIN's are under the hood. If those panels have been replace without saving the VIN's then that shop is a bunch of idiots. Did you get a title with the car? You should have. They may have the old panels with the VIN's still hanging out at the shop. I would ask them about the old VIN's, if not you could restamp the VIN's under the hood.
No, he's not exactly wrong. You are wrong for saying he is exactly wrong.

To say the most important VIN's are under the hood is incorrect because as has already been stated, these panels are often replaced. I know several owners that have installed MOD motors or Mustang II front ends that have smoothed the fender aprons. No VIN's there either. If you are worried about it you can have the aprons stamped (Marti will do it if you provide proof of ownership).

I can tell you that vin numbers only matter when selling the car "numbers matching" or having it inspected by the State. I would bet in 10 out of 10 cases the state inspector isn't going to have any idea where the VIN numbers are located on a 60's muscle car. If the vin on the door matches the title you are good to go.

While I agree that it is very easy to swap a door data plate or have a new one made on these cars, that's just the nature of the beast. Hopefully your conscience can be the guide.

This won't apply in your case, but if you have a certified copy of the title, Marti will stamp them with the VIN and stars for around $75.
Old 09-17-2010, 02:26 PM
Novice-Owner-Marc
2nd Gear Member

OK, well I should have stated this earlier, but I will now. All of the metal on the car had been replaced by the garage that I got it from. The bill of sale did not have a VIN on it, because well.... because it doesn't. I didn't get a title, only a bill of sale.

So if the door tag is there, that will have some information, but that is not the VIN, right?
And someone said something about on the passenger I could look there? If so, where do I need to look?
I am in New York, so IDK what DMV will require of me. I thought I read somewhere that titles for cars this early in time didn't exist or are not issued. So I wasn't too worried about buying the car without a title.

Thank you very much for everyone's input, I really really really appreciate it.

Quick Reply: Hello all, I need the foum's advice