Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Hello all, I need the foum's advice

Old 09-17-2010, 02:49 PM
Gary H
4th Gear Member

http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/register.htm

and

http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/homemade.htm
Old 09-18-2010, 01:10 AM
67t5ponycoupe
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 5'Oclocksomewhere
No, he's not exactly wrong. You are wrong for saying he is exactly wrong.

To say the most important VIN's are under the hood is incorrect because as has already been stated, these panels are often replaced. I know several owners that have installed MOD motors or Mustang II front ends that have smoothed the fender aprons. No VIN's there either. If you are worried about it you can have the aprons stamped (Marti will do it if you provide proof of ownership).

I can tell you that vin numbers only matter when selling the car "numbers matching" or having it inspected by the State. I would bet in 10 out of 10 cases the state inspector isn't going to have any idea where the VIN numbers are located on a 60's muscle car. If the vin on the door matches the title you are good to go.

While I agree that it is very easy to swap a door data plate or have a new one made on these cars, that's just the nature of the beast. Hopefully your conscience can be the guide.

This won't apply in your case, but if you have a certified copy of the title, Marti will stamp them with the VIN and stars for around $75.
You can't stamp a VIN if you don't have a VIN to stamp on it. He does nto have a title or a VIN. What VIN is Marti going to stamp on the car? Make one up? On the early cars the only VIN that matters is under the hood. The door VIN means nothing other than it is nice to have all the other info from the tag.

Anyone who is modifying their front end and eliminating the under hood VIN's are making their car unsellable. They will find that out when they try to sell to someone that knows Mustangs.

I have been through this many times and although it is different from state to state you still have to have a VIN even in Alabama. Alabama does not issue titles for the old cars but you still have to have a VIN to register the car.

The easy way to fix this problem is to buy a rusted to the ground parts car and transfer the VIN's from the parts car your car. This best done by someone that knows what they are doing.

You are intitled to your opinion even if it is wrong.
Old 09-18-2010, 07:13 AM
5'Oclocksomewhere
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by 67t5ponycoupe
You can't stamp a VIN if you don't have a VIN to stamp on it. He does nto have a title or a VIN. What VIN is Marti going to stamp on the car? Make one up? On the early cars the only VIN that matters is under the hood. The door VIN means nothing other than it is nice to have all the other info from the tag.
Read what was written:
"This won't apply in your case, but if you have a certified copy of the title, Marti will stamp them with the VIN and stars for around $75." Meaning.. if you have a title they will stamp the panels, if not, then they won't.

I would personally never purchase a car without a title, but we're here to help the OP find out what to do. I would advise you to swap a VIN from another car as a last resort; check with the guy you bought the car from and see if they can help you out. If he ever had the car switched to his name, chances are he can have the DMV print a replacement title. Also, look into a title search using your VIN tag. This seems to be the easiest way to find out who actually owns anything.

The easy way to fix this problem is to buy a rusted to the ground parts car and transfer the VIN's from the parts car your car. This best done by someone that knows what they are doing.
Only if all else fails I would do as ponycoupe suggests. Keep in mind this is not the most lawful solution. It doesn't bother me personally as long as you are open about it with the next buyer of the car and you aren't trying to pass it off as something it's not.
Old 09-18-2010, 07:30 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

I'm just laughing about the door tag saying its a fastback.It sounds like they pieced the car together which would scare me to think what else have they messed up or done wrong.But good luck with it take some pictures when you get time.
Old 09-18-2010, 07:41 AM
5'Oclocksomewhere
1st Gear Member

Also, look into a title search using your VIN tag. This seems to be the easiest way to find out who actually owns anything.
I should correct myself by saying, "If the tag matched the car (read:COUPE) I would look into a title search using the VIN tag."

Did the shop have any other Mustang projects? They might have switched the doors and not known it.
Old 09-18-2010, 12:36 PM
67t5ponycoupe
5th Gear Member

Read what was written:
"This won't apply in your case, but if you have a certified copy of the title, Marti will stamp them with the VIN and stars for around $75." Meaning.. if you have a title they will stamp the panels, if not, then they won't.

I would personally never purchase a car without a title, but we're here to help the OP find out what to do. I would advise you to swap a VIN from another car as a last resort; check with the guy you bought the car from and see if they can help you out. If he ever had the car switched to his name, chances are he can have the DMV print a replacement title. Also, look into a title search using your VIN tag. This seems to be the easiest way to find out who actually owns anything.

Only if all else fails I would do as ponycoupe suggests. Keep in mind this is not the most lawful solution. It doesn't bother me personally as long as you are open about it with the next buyer of the car and you aren't trying to pass it off as something it's not.
I agree with all said, the situation is not good. In my state is hard enough to get a title for a car if you don't have a title but if you don't have a VIN I would not even bother telling anyone that. You might end up with cops at your door and your car impounded. I don't like the swap the VIN thing either but if the seller doesn't have a VIN for the car then there are not too many other options.
Old 09-19-2010, 12:37 PM
racer_dave
3rd Gear Member

I've never had this happen with a car, but I've had it happen with trailers before. In some states you don't even have to tag them and in others you need a title and everything.

Look under the left fender as suggested to see if the VIN is still there. If you have to buy a hulk to get some numbers then you'll just have to do it. I've seen this done before too and in your case it may be the best way out of it. And as mentioned I've had to do it on trailers before. Just make sure the hulk has a clear title.
Old 09-19-2010, 08:00 PM
Novice-Owner-Marc
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by racer_dave
I've never had this happen with a car, but I've had it happen with trailers before. In some states you don't even have to tag them and in others you need a title and everything.

Look under the left fender as suggested to see if the VIN is still there. If you have to buy a hulk to get some numbers then you'll just have to do it. I've seen this done before too and in your case it may be the best way out of it. And as mentioned I've had to do it on trailers before. Just make sure the hulk has a clear title.
I will look under the fender, but my 2 questions are as follows.
Do I just open the hood and look down?
OR
Do I need to take the outside metal off, then will I find the VIN?
Old 09-19-2010, 10:14 PM
67t5ponycoupe
5th Gear Member

I though you said there were no VIN's under the hood. The VIN on the drivers side should be visible with the fender on. It is located in the notch on the fender where it bolts to the aprons. You will need to take of the passengers side fender off to see that VIN, if it is there.
Old 09-19-2010, 10:26 PM
Novice-Owner-Marc
2nd Gear Member

I though you said there were no VIN's under the hood. The VIN on the drivers side should be visible with the fender on. It is located in the notch on the fender where it bolts to the aprons. You will need to take of the passengers side fender off to see that VIN, if it is there.
Yes that is what I said, there are no VIN's that I am aware of, on the car. I looked everywhere and didn't realize there might be one under the fender.

I did notice this on the original doors. Would either of these sets of numbers in the pictures be the VIN?

The pic won't show up...
Try this
http://www5.snapfish.com/snapfish/sl...653_121478653/

Last edited by Novice-Owner-Marc; 09-19-2010 at 10:34 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hello all, I need the foum's advice