Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Wheel adapters, new studs needed?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 06:58 PM
Sixty7RestoCoupe

Default Wheel adapters, new studs needed?

Hey everybody, just recieved my 1.5 adapters from ebay today for my 06 bullitts wheels. I know its a pretty common conversion but my concern is the stock stud length. Theres still thread on the nut but the stud isnt long enough. Is this right?

Old 11-09-2010, 10:05 PM
Iskwezm
4th Gear Member

i would try a short shank open end lug nut
Attached Thumbnails Wheel adapters, new studs needed?-lugracing.jpg  
Old 11-09-2010, 11:57 PM
guitarman376
3rd Gear Member

I recognized that the rear studs are not very long when I put 1.5" wheel adapters on my car. Literally checked today with a torque wrench and they haven't loosened at all. I would probably get longer wheel studs if I was going to the race track anytime soon, but my car is street driven only at the moment. The fronts were perfect for me, after doing the 13" cobra conversion that came with new hubs
Old 11-10-2010, 12:18 AM
TexasAxMan
4th Gear Member

I have to say that I don't think wheel spacers are very safe at all. Judging from the pictures, you don't have enough thread left to run those safely. You should have threads protruding from the stocker lug nuts. Please don't run those ....
Old 11-10-2010, 07:43 AM
ozarks06
2nd Gear Member

It looks like you have only about half the threads on the nuts making contact. I wouldn't use them that way (and personally wouldn't use adapters on the rear at all).

Those wheels do look nice.
Old 11-10-2010, 08:10 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

unsafe as it is. maybe with shanks. as above.
i wouldn't even use those nuts as there is no way to make sure the spacer is sitting right
contact manufacturer to provide safe solution
Old 11-10-2010, 09:17 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Can't see the pictures. Don't like spacers to begin with.

If you don't have thread engagement at least equal to the lug diameter, you're asking for trouble. Thread engagement equal to only half the lug diameter is like jumping up and down begging for it.

Can't tell how much thread engagement you really have? Don't drive the car until you know that you have at least one diameter's worth. This is not a place to cut corners. Replace with ARP.

That the torque has not relaxed may not be a good enough indicator that the thread engagment that you do have hasn't been yielded slightly. If that sounds like a bad thing, it sounds about right.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 11-10-2010 at 09:19 AM.
Old 11-10-2010, 10:44 AM
5'Oclocksomewhere
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by kalli
unsafe as it is. maybe with shanks. as above.
i wouldn't even use those nuts as there is no way to make sure the spacer is sitting right
contact manufacturer to provide safe solution
I agree with this.

If you are going to go with spacers (which I never would..) atleast do everything in your power to make sure they are bolted on correctly. Check parts stores for other length studs.
Old 11-10-2010, 11:46 AM
jspagna1
3rd Gear Member

NOT SAFE!!!!!!
If they were 1" spacers, you would be alright but that extra 1/2" is killing you.
You are suposed to be able to get like 8 turns with the lug nut on the stud for it to be safe and I would suspect you are nowhere near that!
Call the manufacturer.
Old 11-10-2010, 12:03 PM
67t5ponycoupe
5th Gear Member

I ran into the same problem when I was running 05 bullitts. I changed all the studs, at $2.50 a stud that adds up quick. That is the safe way to do it. With a 1/2 inch stud you should have atleast 1/2 inch of lug nut on the stud and if yours are like mine were then you will be very close to that. I don't have a problem running spacers like some fols do. I think they are safe but need to torqued properly, they are lug centic so they center themselves when torqued.

Quick Reply: Wheel adapters, new studs needed?