Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

1968 Cougar to 1968 Mustang Conversion...can it be done?

Old 10-31-2010, 12:11 PM
Tylus
5th Gear Member

I'm done with Chevy. No fear of a bastard build from me. Been strictly Blue Oval for the past 10 yrs.

Is there any place to get new replacement sheetmetal for a Cougar? Not sure if their popular enough that companies would still have dies for them. New replacement would likely be cheaper than paying a shop to iron out the 1 fender

Waiting to hear back from the guy
Old 10-31-2010, 12:33 PM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Tylus
Is there any place to get new replacement sheetmetal for a Cougar? Not sure if their popular enough that companies would still have dies for them. New replacement would likely be cheaper than paying a shop to iron out the 1 fender.
Very little sheetmetal is available for Cougars, other than used. Cougar people and suppliers are hard-core, though, pretty well resourced for a less-popular car.

Even in Mustangs, though, an original fender is best. Get it fixed.
Old 10-31-2010, 06:03 PM
Someday67

I have spent the last three years taking notes on restoration and resto-mods but since I have no money to put where my mouth is (bad choice of words.. all project money now spent on groceries) I can't make any "mod" recommendations for the Cougar. I can tell you that a complete '68 Cougar or $1500 or less sounds like a decent deal, but if the ad has run awhile that is suspicious as well. I am addicted to "Power Block" TV on Spike and Gears with Stacy David. They show lots of stuff like you want to build and you can look old episodes up online if you feel like digging around. Gears is currently in the process of flexing the muscles on a '67 Cougar that will end up a monster on the street. However my 2 cents says if you want a Bullitt Mustang you should definitely start with a '68 Mustang no matter what you do under the hood. I am also a big fan of Craigslist and PATIENCE when shopping for old cars.
Old 10-31-2010, 07:00 PM
Tylus
5th Gear Member

I watch the same shows occasionally to see the end results, but mostly avoid the "in-depth" stuff they cover because alot of it is blatantly just wrong info. Especially when they are pushing a product.

I'm leary of the low price as well. The pictures show a 90-95% rust free car. But haven't gotten ahold of the guy yet. I can handle the normal rust areas if the trunk/floorboards are rotted. that is relatively easy to replace. More major stuff like the frame being a carcass is a concern of course.

time will tell. I've had incredible luck with Craigslist...and the Classifieds here on MF.
Old 10-31-2010, 08:03 PM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

More major stuff like the frame being a carcass is a concern of course.
Frame? Mustangs and Cougars are unibody. They do have frame rails. These can be repaired.
Old 10-31-2010, 08:33 PM
Tylus
5th Gear Member

told you I didn't know diddly.
Old 10-31-2010, 08:54 PM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

You can fix a lot on these. This has been fixed.

Old 11-01-2010, 12:31 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

I found http://www.cougarpartscatalog.com/ from googling cougar parts.If money is no problem http://www.griggsracing.com/ has front and rear suspension kits for a mustang they should fit the cougar fine.Or put it on a full frame http://www.gmachinechassis.com/ i got a lot more links too.
Old 11-01-2010, 05:39 AM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

West Coast Cougars does pretty well, too.
Old 11-01-2010, 05:52 AM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

sorry guys, I'm a fan of new technology. the old school stuff was fun when I was a teenager, but it got downright old quick once I began playing with EFI.

these old cars are classics in a sense...but I just want a nice car that I personally like. I'm not welcome over on IMBOC.com because of this view...and what I've done to my Bullitt.

Coming into this, I was under the assumption that a Cougar and the Mustang were the same car with different badgeing and bumpers...wasn't aware they were different enough that the sheetmetal itself wouldn't interchange.

With the motor, I guess I'm not articulating my intentions well enough. I don't want a street dominating monster. That is my Bullitt. I just want a "looker" with a little bit of a bite under the hood. one that I can spend a little time setting up upfront, and then never have to touch again. That, and carbs & I have never gotten along. 9/10 times when I've had an issue with a motor, the damn carb was the culprit. Carter/Edelbrock/Holly(POS Doublepumpers), you name it, they've all caused me too many problems.

It does suck that the engine bay is too small for a mod motor. But as pointed out, a 302 or 351 would ultimately be cheaper/easier to slap in there.

I need to quit counting eggs though. Starting to get my hopes up about getting another toy...going to be pissed if the seller and I can't work a deal
I actually prefer carburetors. I just like the nostalgic part of it.

If you go with a 302 or 351 and factory EFI, you should have a reliable predictable setup.

Last edited by tx65coupe; 11-01-2010 at 05:56 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1968 Cougar to 1968 Mustang Conversion...can it be done?