Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

1968 Cougar to 1968 Mustang Conversion...can it be done?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 11:32 AM
SJs 66coupe
4th Gear Member

I took the Mustang on a good 20 minute cruise last Saturday night going to a local cruise in. I was running 2 lane back roads at about give / take 50 mph.

I have a mild build on a 302 and there is no replacement in the world for listening to an old school motor humming down the road. Nice thing about something like a 302 is if they are built right the darn things will run forever. Mine has ported GT-40's, street cam, Holley 600, etc. I wouldn't trade it for fuel injection. I do wish sometimes though I had gone ahead and built the 331, LOL!

My motor is just a touch over a year old. I run a Pertronix and it starts right up every time. Unless it's been sitting for a week then I have to pump the gas a few times the first start. After that, starts right up.
Old 11-01-2010, 09:51 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

Dude, while I am not down with changing a Cougar to a Mustang, build the Cougar, it is a very cool car in it's own right, I would build the **** out of one.

If you want to put a Mod motor in, put it in, you can go with narrow shock towers and coil overs, it won't be that hard, custom headers, and hood clearance solutions might be needed, but it isn't a huge issue if addressed head on.

That said, a pushrod engine would be easier, but a mod motor Cougar would be cool.

Build the car you want to build, just don't plan over your head.

"come on party people, put you hands in the air"......
Old 11-02-2010, 12:25 AM
THUMPIN455
5th Gear Member

Leave it a Cougar, you will lose all structural integrity if you cut it up and try to turn it into a Mustang. The Cougar had a longer wheelbase, and every piece of sheet metal is different. Cougars are awesome, unique, and relatively rare. When was the last time you saw one at a cruise or car show? Build the Cougar, trust me, they are great cars. A 67 was my first car and I wouldnt trade it for anything.

A 302, stroked or not, and a 351 be it W or C will bolt right in there. I have a 351C 2v in mine and I know those engines make good power. The 390 is nice but some parts are hard to find and pricey to acquire. Cleveland or Windsor stuff is easy to come by and cheap. Or you can stuff a 5.0L in there with an oil pan and water pump swap.

Click the link in my sig for my Cougar build, and here it is, all painted but not completely put back together. Get the Cougar and be one of the few of us, the elite if you will...

Old 11-02-2010, 01:02 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

If you want to be different use a 7.3 powerstroke in it lol.I seen a 70 monte carlo with a 5.9 cummins in it and will roast the tires for hours from the torque it has.Thumpin how much longer is the cougar wheel base over a mustang ?
Old 11-02-2010, 03:22 AM
EZFEED
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by andrewmp6
If you want to be different use a 7.3 powerstroke in it lol.I seen a 70 monte carlo with a 5.9 cummins in it and will roast the tires for hours from the torque it has.Thumpin how much longer is the cougar wheel base over a mustang ?
That was just awesome Andrewmp6 LOL! Could you imagine the black cloud lololol!
Old 11-02-2010, 03:48 AM
Tylus
5th Gear Member

@ thumpin455

it's funny, but I ran across several pictures of your car when I initially got the idea to grab this Cougar for a build. I had no idea that a simple paint change could make such a statement with these cars.

so apparently the guy is being "forced" by his wife to sell the car since it's taking up space at their house. I sense this is a duress sale though because the guy is very flaky and damn near impossible to nail down. I'm still trying to get a chance to see the car and inspect her. That, and his price on the car seems to change depending on the time of the day. $1,500 1 minute and then $1,800 the next time.

I found another 68 Cougar on Maui that is I think 80k original miles with zero rust for roughly $4k. Is the flaky guy doesn't pan out, I might do a day trip flight over there and see what is up with the Maui car. The more I look at these Cougars the more I like them. They just need a little paint to get rid of the grandma colors.

kinda funny, but when I was 16 my dad tried to get me to buy a 67 Cougar with a 302...but it broke down during the test drive. So I passed and bought a truck with a 383 stroker instead. weird to come back to a similar car after so many years
Old 11-02-2010, 04:17 AM
nba1341
4th Gear Member

Cougars are awesome wish I saw more of them on the street. Although I don't see many old mustangs where I live either.
Old 11-02-2010, 07:05 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Tylus
With the motor, I guess I'm not articulating my intentions well enough. I don't want a street dominating monster. That is my Bullitt. I just want a "looker" with a little bit of a bite under the hood. one that I can spend a little time setting up upfront, and then never have to touch again. That, and carbs & I have never gotten along. 9/10 times when I've had an issue with a motor, the damn carb was the culprit. Carter/Edelbrock/Holly(POS Doublepumpers), you name it, they've all caused me too many problems.
Not building another street monster but still want a little 'sparkle'?

Then build up an EFI 331 with aluminum heads and a hydraulic roller cam for midrange to upper midrange torque and a 6500-ish redline. By way of comparison, you ought to be able to get "327 SBC" power & torque levels out of the 0.8" shorter deck height Ford block and 100 lb lighter 302-based package. And the HR cam is better suited to available oils.

I don't think that 347 is enough of a step past 331 for your purposes to be worth crowding the displacement limits of the block or going to extreme measures to avoid having a really short rod engine.

Run a deeper axle gear with the overdrive tranny of your choosing.

I never had the difficulty with carbs that you seem to have had. But once fitting an aftermarket multiport EFI to the Malibu in my sig and tuning it, I'd never go back to carbs by my own completely free choice. It's scary how much more can be done with fuel and ignition maps than with a carb even if you do know enough about carbs to go into them deeper than jets, power valves, accelerator pumps, and vac secondary tuning.

Norm