Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Newly Rebuilt 302, Ticking sound

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2010, 11:54 PM
mustangsavage1967

Default Newly Rebuilt 302, Ticking sound

My new 302 has about 50 miles on it and it has a ticking sound. Its on the drivers side and im thinking of getting a stethoscope to pin point the sound. I went back and readjusted the lifters and tightened a few but the sound it still there. I thought well maybe exhaust but my header is bolted pretty good to the head and i see no black stains from leaking. The oil level is between safe and full so i know its ok and its still clean. I really hope something isnt already broken because i havent even romped on it yet ( for obvious reasons). The noise tends to be more noticeable as the RPM's go up and gets faster which is why i thought lifter. Any Ideas. Thanks and Happy Holidays
Old 12-24-2010, 02:58 AM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Re adjusted lifters? Is it a solid lifter? If it's hydraulic it's set once at assembly to proper preload and then you're done. Does it have headers? They use thinner walls that transmit a lot more sound.
Old 12-24-2010, 05:13 AM
mursch123

Default Headers

Hy

I have a 302 rebulit with hydraulic lifters and hooker headers (long tube). I also have a ticking sound. Sounds like the ignition is way to late and there is some gas exploding in the headers. Or the camshaft is wrong alignet. But a friend of mine is mechanic and he told me that that is a normal sound. It´s because of the thiner walls of the headers. So i would say, if your valves ar adjusted right don´t worry!

Greetings
Old 12-24-2010, 07:53 AM
Oxnard Montalvo
4th Gear Member

You don't need a stethoscope, just use any long, solid rod-like item and you will be able to pinpoint the location. (A wooden dowel works well.) Put one end to your ear and the other to different areas of the valve covers. You'll hear a distinct increase in the noise level when you're closest to the source.

Last edited by Oxnard Montalvo; 12-24-2010 at 09:10 AM.
Old 12-24-2010, 09:43 AM
BuckeyeDemon
2nd Gear Member

what do you mean by new? is it a brand new shortblock or is it a rebuild, with new pistons, etc or was it just honed...?

does the sound get better or worse as the engine gets warm?
Old 12-24-2010, 11:45 AM
mustangsavage1967

its a rebuilt 302. The bottom end is the same. The cam is a sealed pro. I have edelbrock heads (rpm), scorpion rocker arms, edelbrock rpm intake. and a holley carb. I just think its werid the sounds only on one side. If it was supposed ot make sound wouldnt it be on both sides? I dont think the sound gets worse when it gets warmer it seems to be consistant. They are hydraulic lifters.
Old 12-24-2010, 12:22 PM
BuckeyeDemon
2nd Gear Member

i'm just wondering if it's piston scuffing.

was it bored with new pistons or honed and re-ringed?
Old 12-24-2010, 12:28 PM
OCHOHILL
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mustangsavage1967
My new 302 has about 50 miles on it and it has a ticking sound. Its on the drivers side and im thinking of getting a stethoscope to pin point the sound. I went back and readjusted the lifters and tightened a few but the sound it still there. I thought well maybe exhaust but my header is bolted pretty good to the head and i see no black stains from leaking. The oil level is between safe and full so i know its ok and its still clean. I really hope something isnt already broken because i havent even romped on it yet ( for obvious reasons). The noise tends to be more noticeable as the RPM's go up and gets faster which is why i thought lifter. Any Ideas. Thanks and Happy Holidays
Double check the exhaust.
Old 12-24-2010, 12:52 PM
Oxnard Montalvo
4th Gear Member

Did you add ZDDP or use racing oil on start up? If not, and the springs are strong, the cam and lifters could be trashing.
Old 12-24-2010, 05:16 PM
crickifur

I would put my money on a bad lifter... Hydraulic lifters are notorious for bleeding out. I have bought new sets that have come with a lifter that just wont hold pressure... If the lifter cant build pressure, it wont take up for valve lash and cause a tick.... I would start by removing the valve cover and using a rod to find the correct cylinder. Use a set of feeler guages to check for excessive lash on that cylinder... The good news if that IS the problem, its an easy swap. ALSO check your spark plugs!!! IF you have a loose plug, improperly mounted plug wire, or a hairline cut in a wire, the signal in the wires will arc off your engine creating a ticking noise as well...

Quick Reply: Newly Rebuilt 302, Ticking sound