Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Homebuilt coilover system

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 05:33 PM
eZ
5th Gear Member

Default Homebuilt coilover system *pics*

So I started on that coilover system I mentioned a couple of weeks ago.

Upper control arm is from a circletrack company. It has all the right dimensions. Used 5/8 heim joints. Just waiting for the chromoly hex bar to show up so I can make the mount. Including ball joints Ill have about $150 for the pair. Sure beat $450 LOL

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
The upper coilover will mount underneath the shock tower removing any chance of failure. It will apply the pressure the same place the stock spring did.

The lower mount will is made out of 3/8 steel and ties in the adjustable heim joint strut bar that I made as well. Strut bar is 5/8 clevis and 5/8 heim joint. About $120 for the pair

I ordered the coilovers today. I didnt want to weld it all together until I can mock it up a bit first to make sure where the mounts will locate

Last edited by eZ; 01-12-2011 at 05:43 PM.
Old 01-12-2011, 05:35 PM
eZ
5th Gear Member

Lower arm is moog...seems really stout but I will box it in when I install the opentracker roller bearing. The coilover shocks are bearing as well. Should be a nice setup with everything being roller.
Old 01-12-2011, 06:33 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

A cool and ambitious project, I will be watching for more....
Old 01-13-2011, 01:19 PM
guitarman376
3rd Gear Member

How the heck are you able do take on such projects! I mean that as a compliment. With all the geometry that goes into a suspension system PLUS the strength that each component must have, I don't know if I would ever try piecing/fabricating something together myself. I am also interested to see your progress, but more importantly how it all performs once its complete!
Old 01-13-2011, 01:56 PM
001mustang
3rd Gear Member

Looking good...like something that's marketable.
Old 01-13-2011, 03:03 PM
eZ
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by guitarman376
How the heck are you able do take on such projects! I mean that as a compliment. With all the geometry that goes into a suspension system PLUS the strength that each component must have, I don't know if I would ever try piecing/fabricating something together myself. I am also interested to see your progress, but more importantly how it all performs once its complete!
Im over doing it on the strength end by using gauge of metals that are too thick. 3/8 thick etc. Im also going to box in all the mounts. If something fails it would have to be something in the frame. LOL. There is so much information on the production of these units that they practically give you the blueprints. I called one manufacturer to buy there coil mounts seperatly and they wanted $130 for two mounts...there are shocks mounts you can buy everywhere for $5. Thats what started this whole thing. That and why do we pay upwards of $500 for tubular control arms while circle track and offroad guys pay about $100? Im waiting to get my coilovers from summit so I can figure out exactly where the mounts will need to be to allow the for full range of the suspension.
Old 01-13-2011, 04:22 PM
001mustang
3rd Gear Member

I have an alignment suggestion.

On my driver side spindle I can get a Caster reading directly on spindle arm using magnetic digital angle finder.

The passenger spindle is to rough to get a good caster reading.

If I ever have spindles out I will clean up the the flat verticle surface.

That way one can get an accurate caster reading from the spindle and an accurate camber reading from rotor while under car.
Old 01-14-2011, 01:22 PM
groho
4th Gear Member

Curious, you considering boxing in the lower control arm also? For as flimsy as the LCA is, I wonder why this isn't a more common practice. BTW, what welder are you using? My 110V Miller will do 3/8" but it's pushing the limit, but you're probably using 220V, right?
Old 01-14-2011, 01:31 PM
eZ
5th Gear Member

Yea ill be using 220v at my neighbors shop. Boxing in the lower control arms, absolutley. Just working on mock up for right now then I will box them in when I install the roller bearings.
Old 01-14-2011, 01:48 PM
001mustang
3rd Gear Member

Will you keep rubber LCA bushings to allow LCA to follow strut rod arc?

Quick Reply: Homebuilt coilover system