Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Homebuilt coilover system

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 05:26 PM
001mustang
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by eZ
Still playing with DIY alignment...LOL..got it pretty close though. taking it in tomorrow morning for a reputable shop. Just want to see how close I got it. First drive was awesome. Springs were a bit too soft even when stiffening the adjustment on the shock. Taking the 350's off today and putting on 450's. Should be just right! On a good note the whole system is very quiet. No more bushings no more bindings.
lol
i didn't think you were gonna mess w/ the alignment.
did you just rough it in or use digital angle finder and turn table?

don't figure you'll have any binding issues for 100 years.

don't remember lubrication specs of your heim joints, some are supposed to be maintenance free like the teflon heims i put in clutch linkage. i think heims last a long time.
Old 02-01-2011, 07:11 PM
eZ
5th Gear Member

So put the 450's on and drove it hard today...what a blast...feels like a completely different car. once I put R&P on this thing its going to be vette like
Old 02-01-2011, 07:16 PM
001mustang
3rd Gear Member

nice to hear some good news
Old 02-01-2011, 09:12 PM
jgemperline
1st Gear Member

Good job! So what shock did you end up with? If I remember correct you opted for a shorter shock? Any chance you could share some of you're dimensions on the mounts?
Old 02-01-2011, 10:35 PM
eZ
5th Gear Member

upper mount has a 1 inch aluminum spacer. The shock mount is 2 inches from plate to center of eyelet. plate is 1/8 inch thick. so total distance is 3 1/8 for upper mounted underneath shock tower.
lower mount is also two inches from plate to center of eyelet plus 1/8 plate
Old 02-02-2011, 05:55 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by eZ
First drive was awesome. Springs were a bit too soft even when stiffening the adjustment on the shock. Taking the 350's off today and putting on 450's. Should be just right! On a good note the whole system is very quiet. No more bushings no more bindings.
Do you know what your motion ratio and the normal ride height spring angle are? You might have a better chance of hitting it in one shot if you do, and have some idea what kind of driving it's intended to see.

Good to hear that nothing is talking back at you.

Norm
Old 02-02-2011, 01:41 PM
eZ
5th Gear Member

Norm,
The motion ratio should be right at .80 where as stock is only .54
The spring angle is just under 20 degrees
Intended use? mostly street drivin. may see a track in the near future

The hardest part I had figuring the spring rate was the weight of the car in the four corners. This I was totally guessing at. At any rate the 450's feel just right. I can really change the feel with the adjustment on the shock if I wanted to go lighter or stiffer
Old 02-02-2011, 05:08 PM
Rols574
2nd Gear Member

wish i could pull this off. you saved a lot of money than buying off the market.
Old 02-13-2011, 02:14 PM
eZ
5th Gear Member

Rols--It was not difficult

So yesterday I really put the suspension to the test on the famous Ortega Highway. I must have matched the setup perfectly to the rear because there is just the right amount of understeer. This is by far the best upgrade I have done to this car. The way it handles was downright scary. I had my friend following me in his c6 and he couldnt believe it. We had to pull off the road so I could take him for a ride. All he kept saying was "holly ****!" ha ha ha.

Next step is going to be better tires and maybe wider wheels. I am only running 7'' up front. A little more tread should be wicked.

If I have problems with traction on launching should I soften the rear or front? Or stiffen the rear or front. Even when I ease into frist and ease into secong then full throttle after getting into second it still spins pretty bad. Im running nitto NT555 in the rear 285s. Im probably gonna get some NT05r and switch from 4.11 rears to 3.50.

IM STOKED!
Old 02-13-2011, 07:08 PM
jgemperline
1st Gear Member

So it's sitting the way you like? What QA1 shock did you use? Can we see how stance looks? Thanks again for sharing! Good work!

Quick Reply: Homebuilt coilover system