Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Leaf springs for my 65 FB and ride height questions.

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 10:52 AM
Coupe
3rd Gear Member

Default Leaf springs for my 65 FB and ride height questions.

So I must order some rear leafs this week and get started on getting the back half buttoned up. Once I get my trunk and transition in place I will be spraying some chassis saver on that before I move on to the floor, or install any lines or suspension.

I have new front suspension ready to go on the car from opentracker that consist of his UCS'a + Roller perches,+ some off the shelf moog LCA's and stock height GT springs and a 1" sway bar. This stuff will go on once the sheet metal work is done.

My concern is ride height for the rear of the car, I can always cut the front springs down if I need to tune the height, but the rear is another story and I cant decide if I should go with mid eye springs that lower 1" or stock height springs? The issue may end up being wheel sizes, I currently have 14" wheels but I may get some 17" by summer, so please keep that in mind.

I was thinking about the Mid-eye leaf kit from CJpony on sale today but it does not specify if it is 5 leafs or 4 1/2 leafs etc..

I just want firm for a street car, not gooshy but not harsh, I plan to take road trips in this thing.

Any votes?
Old 02-13-2011, 11:07 AM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

I'd recommend GT 4-leaf springs from Glazier's or NPD. They source from OE manufacturers, so you're sure to get the correct ride height. They'll get you factory GT ride height and provide a firm, sporty ride without being too harsh. I think the ride height would better match your front springs as well.

I've got Mustangs Plus 4.5 leaf mide-eye springs on my '67. They're sporty and very firm, but I think they'd be a little harsh for what you're looking for.

Wheels/tires don't care what the ride height of the car is. They either fit or they don't. If they don't, you'll scrape sidewalls no matter the ride height. Be sure to get the proper backspacing on the wheels and keep the tires within width restraints and you'll be ok.
Old 02-13-2011, 11:24 AM
Coupe
3rd Gear Member

Starfury, I think I read somewhere that the GT leafs actually had a softer ride than the standard leaf? IS that true? I dont mind a firm ride, I plan on a Watts link at some point though, and that would help with lateral movement.
Old 02-13-2011, 11:51 AM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

Not to my knowledge. 2+2GT would know for sure.

The 4.5 leaf springs are very firm. They were jarring with KYB Gas-A-Justs, but a set of Edelbrock IAS shocks smoothed things out a bit and keeps the tires from skittering across the road when I hit a bump mid-corner. They're still rough, according to my gf, but I like them Great for handling.
Old 02-13-2011, 12:00 PM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Coupe
I dont mind a firm ride, I plan on a Watts link at some point though, and that would help with lateral movement.
If you're going to add a Watts link at some future time, don't get carried away with things like stiff leaf spring bushings or shackles. They'll tend to bind up a bit against either a Watts link or a Panhard bar unless they have some lateral "give". Lateral "give" needs to be in the leaf spring parts rather than in the WL (or PHB, for that matter); otherwise there is no point in adding it.

You'll also want to locate the main WL pivot close to the leaf spring roll center, as another way of making the WL and the leaves work together rather than against each other. Mark Savitske touches on this briefly in his book (new, just out) "How to Make Your Muscle Car Handle.

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 02-13-2011 at 12:03 PM.
Old 02-13-2011, 02:21 PM
Coupe
3rd Gear Member

Thanks for the tips guys, Norm, I think I will just go with the rubber shackle mounts, good advice.

Im thinking a Fays WL, I was entertaining a 4 link but from what I read it's hard to beat that when it comes to bang for the buck!
Old 02-13-2011, 05:21 PM
Iskwezm
4th Gear Member

Heres the mid leaf springs on a coupe with a 275/40/17 that i put on a buddies a while back.The front has 620's.One man harshness is another mans caddilac.
Attached Thumbnails Leaf springs for my 65 FB and ride height questions.-dscf0437.jpg   Leaf springs for my 65 FB and ride height questions.-dscf0435.jpg  
Old 02-13-2011, 07:12 PM
Coupe
3rd Gear Member

Did you use 4 1/2 or 5 springs on that?
Old 02-13-2011, 07:49 PM
Iskwezm
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Coupe
Did you use 4 1/2 or 5 springs on that?
those were the 5 leaf.I have Maier 1.5" lowered leafs and cut 620's and mine sits a lot lower.