Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

ideas on stereo set up...

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 11:47 PM
loza-69mach1

Smile ideas on stereo set up...

Hello everyone...

Im thinking about getting a stereo for my 69 mach1, ive gotten tired of driving it without any sound. I plan to locate the deck under the glove box to leave the old radio.

Does any one have pics of there truck speakers and rear and front speakers? Any ideas on speakers...

thanks again...

jr
Old 02-21-2011, 09:44 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by loza-69mach1
ive gotten tired of driving it without any sound.

jr
get a new exhaust :-)

the easiest is to place two 6x9" speakers on the package tray in the back (or whatever it's called).
there are expensive retrofit radios that look kinda similar to the original setup and mount there. So either mount elsewhere and block off the hole in the dash or use a retrofit radio (or what i don't really like) is cutting the hole even bigger to fit aftermarket radio (people shouldn't do that, but thta's my opinion). but I think having two radios, one for show and one that works is probably the worst idea
Old 02-21-2011, 11:57 AM
loza-69mach1

hmmmm thanks for your thoughts...

anyone else got any ideas or pics?

thanks
Old 02-26-2011, 09:52 PM
loza-69mach1

Default ideas for my stereo setup...

Hello everyone...

Im thinking about getting a stereo for my 69 mach1, ive gotten tired of driving it without any sound. I plan to locate the deck under the glove box to leave the old radio.

Does any one have pics of there truck speakers and rear and front speakers? Any ideas on speakers...

thanks again...

jr
Old 02-26-2011, 10:25 PM
Cziglar

I got a set of the speaker kick panels that use 6 1/2 and a speaker pod that replace the trap door that holds a set of 6x9s for my 67 fastback they went in very easy and sound good the only problem I had is that the 6x9 I got were to deep so I had to cut a peace of mdf and wrap it in black vinyl for a spacer
Old 02-26-2011, 10:53 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

I am using one of these on my old Ford,

http://www.vintagecarradio.com/store...products_id=37

Rear speakers in the package shelf makes sense. Jim bought some kick panels for his 66 that have a spot for speakers for the front. I don't know about a 69 though.
Old 02-26-2011, 11:12 PM
Oak
2nd Gear Member

Default Worst idea club

I am a member of the worst idea club, I left my dash am radio in the car and then I built a small console under the ashtray and installed the head there as well as 2 gauges, I simply remove the stick and the entire console slides out. I made it from MDF and cover it in black carpet.

I just installed a custom autosound radio into my sons 62 fairlane so that we could keep the dash in perfect order. To say that i was surprised as to the quality and sound quality of this product is an understatement. I have been a stereo guy all my life, and I though these radios were a rip off wanna be but it really sounds great and no amp installed. Yes it was a little expensive compared to a "modern radio" but it looks and fits great.

http://www.casmfg.com/radios.htm

For speakers in my mustang fastback I installed front kick panels that would accept a 6 in speaker, and in the back I cut my trap door to fit two 6x9 speakers,just kidding I took outmy perfect trap door and bought a hacked up one on ebay ffor 25 bucks, here is the rear speakers.

And I mounted the amp to a small piece of MDF that I attached to the frame of the trap door.

The goofy looking black foam square next to the amp is my attempt to seal off the trunk from the passenger compartment for fumes as well as sound.

If you want me to post pics of the console or front speakers ar anything else just let me know

Oak
Old 02-27-2011, 02:48 PM
loza-69mach1

thanks thanks... I like the pics...