Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

new 65 mustang owner and forum member

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 07:55 PM
captain cook

Default new 65 mustang owner and forum member

Hi , I just bought a 1965 Mustang Convertible today. The car had been sitting in an outside storage lot for the last 10 years. The car is obviously in need of everything, but just a question for those that have traveled this road before me...where do you start with a major redo of this classic?
Old 03-12-2011, 08:25 PM
mr_velocity
4th Gear Member

All depends on how far you want to go. We stripped everything and started over.
https://mustangforums.com/forum/clas...-redstang.html
Old 03-12-2011, 08:40 PM
bluemustang1966
1st Gear Member

Congrats and welcome! There are several restorations going on right now if you look through the first few pages of this section and in the general discussion section as well.

Everyone starts in different places, all depends on what you want to do and what shape the car is in. I'm still pretty new as well, haven't started my restoration yet, but very soon. Everyone is great on here and we all love pictures. Show us what you've got and I'm sure we'll all try and help you get started.
Old 03-12-2011, 10:16 PM
mikenkiki05
1st Gear Member

pm me i have some parts that you could use complete tailight kit (bezels lenses and buckets, seat belts 2 agua deluxe belts and 2 regular black seat belts, ive got a coil cap rotor pm me if your intrested and i can send pics to you of everthing via email, we are not wanting a ton of money for them we took them off my wifes 65 mustang coupe
Old 03-12-2011, 10:20 PM
mikenkiki05
1st Gear Member

and welcome to the forum also we have done ours in 3 months do it in stages and take it slow im burned out on working on wifes car as alot of people will tell you we went from inside out only thing left for us to do is the interior headliner and all the windows in the car pick the easy stuff to do first was our moto but there is other stuff to worry about also like motor trans rear end ect

WELCOME TO THE ENDLESS MONEY PIT OF OWNING A CLASSIC
Old 03-12-2011, 10:25 PM
strokemy302

fix rust first if its rusty. get it started if it wont crank. but honestly dont worry too much about buffing up the hp until its reliable.
Old 03-12-2011, 10:33 PM
Gregski
3rd Gear Member

Welcome, pictures please, is it a I6 or a V8, as far as your question, I have some for you to think about and let us know so we can try to help you.

1. Are you planning on doing the work yourself, all or some of it?

2. Have you restored a car before, I'm guessing not, that's ok.

3. Do you work on cars, what level are you at, these cars are simple to work on.

4. Have you subscribed to any Mustang catalogs yet, NPD, CJ Pony Parts, Muystangs Unlimited, etc, you can pretty much build a Mustang from scratch if you find a VIN plate laying on the ground somewhere, LOL

5. Divide and conquer, take pictures of everything you take apart. I recommend using a digital camera (no film costs) and taking at least two pictures of everything, trust me, the first one always has a tendency to be out of focus or off center, etc.

6. Store all the smaller bits (don't toss them) in heavy duty (thick) plastic zip loc bags with the white strip on them for you to label with your Sharpie pen. Yes today you know how that bracket goes back on but will you remember 6 months from now when it comes time to put it back. Even keep the busted parts that way you will know what to order and replace, also you can compare the new part to the old to see if "they" sent you the right part.

7. A restoration can be a lonely business, your spouse may loose interest, your friends may turn out to be lazy bums, and those you counted on maybe not the most skilled craftsmen you want around your newly painted red convertible to put the chrome bits back on after you paid top dollar for to have re chromed

8. plan to learn a lot, plan to enjoy it, plan to make mistakes, who cares it's your car and anything can be fixed

again welcome to the Rustang world, lol
Old 03-12-2011, 11:05 PM
strokemy302

gregski, wat kind of mustangs/cars u restore? im gettting an 86 and im in the same shoes as the capt.
Old 03-13-2011, 06:25 AM
wonso79
2nd Gear Member

CONGRATS!!!
Old 03-14-2011, 09:42 PM
captain cook

This is a very informative forum so far..thanks to everyone for their input.
I will post a few pictures if someone can tell me how. Thanks again

Quick Reply: new 65 mustang owner and forum member