Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

New guy...65 con..budget engine build advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 11:16 PM
Xring01

Default New guy...65 con..budget engine build advice

New guy checking...I have been reading this site for several weeks now.. There are some great cars...and a wealth of knowledge here.

My wife's 65 convertible has been in her family since the late 70s...my father in law did a frame up on it in the 80s. Since that time a relative used it as a daily driver...frankly it needs a total rebuild. It looks like it did when it left the factory...white, red interior and the spoke rims...however that was not the original colors...

He installed a 302 in it in the early 80s...it's been rebuilt at least once. Compression is all over the place...I think it has a leaking head gasket...and some bad valves...I know it's been over heated several times...

My 12 yo son and I pulled the engine on Sunday...in the event the block is bad. I already purchased a 1990 roller cam block...I will post photos later.

Due to all the work this car needs. I want to rebuild a budget 302. So I am looking to my fellow mustang family for advice on a budget build.

Assuming the flat tapper block and heads are good. Where would you get parts and what parts.

Next. Assuming the flat tappet block is bad...what parts and where.

Thanks in advance
Old 03-15-2011, 11:42 PM
supermario
2nd Gear Member

Im not sure what a budget build is to you (under $2k or over), if I were you, I would either look online for a good engine builder in your local area, buy a fresh 302 block for around ($600), and have a engine built. But first look online for good engine builder. Dont go to any shop becus some guys just cant be trusted and you may pay for something that your not getting. Second, it would be easier if you just ordered a Ford Motorsport Crate engine for about $3800. Those are decent engines and you can put it in yourself. It should just drop in. Im having a custom 351W stroker engine built as we speak but its going on 2 years because Im buying part by part. Sometimes i wish i would have just ordered a crate engine for the simplicity. But my engine should be a monster so Im sure the wait will pay off. Anyhow, crate engines are great, or do you homework and find a local builder. My engine builder said he would rebuild a 302 for me for about $1500 and that would include forged pistons, rods, chrome moly rings, ported/polished heads etc. I think thats damm cheap. Good luck with your search. Here is a link to crate engine:
http://www.mustangsplus.com/xcart/Fo...te-Engine.html
Old 03-15-2011, 11:42 PM
supermario
2nd Gear Member

Summit Racing sells alot of parts needed for mustangs. Mustangs Plus also sells alot of major parts, just not the lil things. Here is a decent engine for $3200

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MLL-BP3472CT/

Last edited by supermario; 03-15-2011 at 11:47 PM.
Old 03-16-2011, 12:37 AM
Xring01

I am aware of crate engines. eBay....summit..jegs, But that's not in the budget at this point... The last thing I do to this car is put 350 hp engine...

It needs paint...interior...chrome...convertible top....it all adds up...and will take me years to do... So I want a good running engine. Nothing fancy...so that I can use it while I am fixing it up.

Use this opportunity to teach my son how to build an engine...

I will send the block and heads off to a reputable machine shop to get completely ready to rebuild. Then my son under my supervision will build the engine...

He loves working on his motorcycle, bicycles, scooters... Anything puts tools in his hands
Old 03-16-2011, 07:01 AM
69FB
4th Gear Member

Summit Racing and Jegs have good prices on engine parts. You might want to try a website called Racingjunk.com as well. I've seen some great deals on parts there. I have an engine block waiting on my 69 (302 runs strong in it now) and I have not crossed this bridge yet but I know several here that have. Good luck and I wish my father had helped me learn this years ago.
Old 03-16-2011, 07:35 AM
mr_velocity
4th Gear Member

I'd build the roller block. You can use the crank, rods, heads, intake etc from the old 302, you can find good deals on used cams and lifters at places like corral.net where the guys are always upgrading.

Good to see you getting your son involved, he'll love working on the motor just be sure to explain as much as possible so he understands what's going on.
Old 03-23-2011, 04:09 PM
.boB
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Xring01
I am aware of crate engines. eBay....summit..jegs, But that's not in the budget at this point... The last thing I do to this car is put 350 hp engine...
Before doing anything, sit down a calculater. For a stock rebuild, add up all the machine work, all the big parts, all the small parts like fastners, gaskets, silicone sealant, cleaning supplies, etc. Add another 10% for stuff you forgot. Don't forget to add in travel to and from the machine shop. And, there's probably a few tools that you don't have; not like buying more tools is a bad thing.

Now go to Autozone. You can get a remanufactured base engine (heads, block, oil pump, valve train) for $1,200. Certainly not the highest quality of rubber burning power you can buy. But a good deal on a stock replacement.

Windoer engines are so plentifull, that it's usually not economical to rebuild them your self.