Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Scott Drake "quality"

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 09:21 PM
chewy1234
2nd Gear Member

I think the quality can improve. I have had some issues with their quality.
Old 03-16-2011, 10:08 PM
cprstreetmachines
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Gun Jam
CPR

Any idea on a replacement vendor? How do you plan to reduce failures in the future?

I have only about 3 SD items on my car so far they have been okay none of them are electrical items...valve covers, gas cap and a door lock piece simple stuff with the gas cap being the most complex.
Hell I tried their valve covers, too. The chrome deals. Took me about 45 min after lashing the new engine twice to figure out it was the valve covers. You could squeeze the sides, and feel the rockers start to hit even worse. Stock rockers,too. "It fits our jigs." Replaced with Ford motorsport covers, end of problem.

As far as the rest I have just become extremely picky on the jobs I do. Some people it upsets when I tell them I won't do "X". They want to use me, but I know what's coming and if I do the job, know that the hourly rate I charge will be cut in half as I know I will get to do it twice.
Old 03-16-2011, 10:12 PM
Gregski
3rd Gear Member

Umm, so glad someone said it first, I only bought a couple Scot Drake parts, some of them being brackets and I was surprised right off the bat how flimzy they were, how poor the paint quality was, and how the holes didn't align. But I kept my mouth shut till now. I just thank my lucky stars I am not a B r a n d W h o r e like some people.
Old 03-16-2011, 10:13 PM
Gun Jam

I have the cast Al valve covers....havent cracked yet

Is the stuff from NPD no better...all comes off the same assembly line in china?

-Gun
Old 03-16-2011, 10:26 PM
Iskwezm
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by nba1341
Sounds pretty bad how in the world did that gas cap lose all its blackness....?
Anodized parts are not meant to be in direct sunlight for extended periods of time because they have no UV protection.This happened to my Earls fitting on a sandrail i had and also my boat. They shouldve known that at powdercaoted them instead.
Old 03-16-2011, 10:50 PM
cprstreetmachines
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Iskwezm
Anodized parts are not meant to be in direct sunlight for extended periods of time because they have no UV protection.This happened to my Earls fitting on a sandrail i had and also my boat. They shouldve known that at powdercaoted them instead.
AH, did not know that. Think your right. A little R&D would have helped. Now i know they have to know about it. The first one I saw was 5 years ago. I'm apparently the only one. You know the BEST part about parts ? When you call and talk to someone about a problem, and they act like they have never heard it before ? Then you explain to them you KNOW they have heard it before because you talked to THEM specifically 5 months ago about it. Good god, let the stuttering and backtracking begin. One day maybe I'll tell you guys how Heidts bent us over for over 500 bucks with blatant lies. Got a brand new set of worthless coil overs with 500 miles on them.

Originally Posted by Gun Jam
all comes off the same assembly line in china?

-Gun
Probably quite a few of the same suppliers. Next time someone is out of stock on a part. Call EVERYONE, and see if they aren't all waiting for the same time frame as the others for "their" shipment.
Old 03-17-2011, 12:21 AM
Iskwezm
4th Gear Member

When working for a manufacter, you are told to NEVER admit there is a problem with the part or that their concern has not been verified yet.
Old 03-17-2011, 12:42 AM
Gun Jam

When working for a manufacter, you are told to NEVER admit there is a problem with the part or that their concern has not been verified yet.

Sounds like the ol' mass production mantra. "The assembly line never stops" it doesnt matter if the car is ****ed up just slap your part over it and send it down the line. The end result is a pile of product that needs rework or leaves the factory with known faults. Because we ALL know that the more you produce the more you make...

Turns out that stopping the line dealing with the fault, finding the cause of the fault and finally implementing measures so that issue never occurs again does indeed slow down production...but surprise!!! it reduces waste in all forums and improves bottom line.

Based on the story's told here...it screams of mass production ideals backed up by a huge inventory supply system making rework expensive and slow so the problems never get addressed.
Old 03-17-2011, 07:27 AM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Anodized parts are not meant to be in direct sunlight for extended periods of time because they have no UV protection.
Really? I guess Ford screwed up on this trim:

Old 03-17-2011, 07:34 AM
bluemustang1966
1st Gear Member

Guess I'll stay away from Scott Drake for my resto. Only problem is I just got new key cylinders for the doors, trunk, and ignition that are Scott Drake. Should I send back....does anyone else make them?

Quick Reply: Scott Drake "quality"