Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Scott Drake "quality"

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 10:39 PM
12sec67

2+2 - are you showing us the better quality metal that scott drake can get from dynacorn or is that the cheap stuff that scott drake sells normally ?
Old 03-22-2011, 10:40 PM
12sec67

also- why is there are no close up shots of the fender gaps with the non primer pieces?

just asking
Old 03-22-2011, 10:42 PM
12sec67

thats all, i'm done until scott drake decides to stop by this thread
Old 03-23-2011, 05:48 AM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 12sec67
2+2 - are you showing us the better quality metal that scott drake can get from dynacorn or is that the cheap stuff that scott drake sells normally ?
Ah, the conversation kinda slid over to "repro doors".

also- why is there are no close up shots of the fender gaps with the non primer pieces?
Oh, you want close-ups?

Old 03-23-2011, 11:32 AM
cprstreetmachines
4th Gear Member

just asking

Originally Posted by 2+2GT

Oh, you want close-ups?
I think he was eluding to the same thing I was. Body work looks to be already done. Showing a gap afterward means nothing really. But I think you know that as I've already pointed that out to you once. I can't expect sheetmetal to fit that great honestly. But it would be really nice if the manufacturer would stop making the sheet metal out of recycled woks. The metal they use is garbage. Start a roset weld in the center on the base material, then circle around and the new metal literally explodes because it's full of contaminants. Grind before hand all you like, it's IN the metal
Old 03-23-2011, 02:28 PM
Drake1

Hello my name is Joe Johnston, I am the Director of Sales and Marketing for Drake Automotive Group (Scott Drake). We are familiar with the owner of CPR Street Machines, we have been reviewing this thread and the other threads that cpr street machines has posted on this site and others.

“CPR” did request to return his current inventory to us. As part of our company policy and the standard of most company policies within our industry, we allow a stock adjustment return with an offsetting order. I offered this to "CPR" and he declined. We did however take an extra step to have a very satisfied dealer in the area contact "CPR" and offer to buy the product. Apparently "CPR" did not follow up with them.

We stock over 9,000 parts for Ford Mustangs! Of those we own thousands of proprietary tools for specific parts and also produce many parts off original Ford tooling. A necessary process in order to manufacture the best parts for these 40 year old cars. It’s an investment that must be made and we are and have been willing to make it. We manufacture many parts in the USA and overseas. We also carry products and distribute products from many other brand name manufacturers. We are also an OEM supplier to Ford and Shelby. We have parts on the new Boss 302, GT500 and others.

In many of our products you will see our name stamped or cast into the part to signify that it is in fact one of our parts made from our tooling. We also purchase and distribute parts from other manufacturers that make some parts for Mustangs, as well as restoration parts for Corvettes, Camaros and others. No different than other businesses. Many of these parts we carry are to help us compete in various different categories, price points and meet customer demands. We signify these parts in many cases buy listing them as “economy” or “show quality”. Our economy parts retail at a third to half as much of what a show quality part costs. Some customers have asked for these different levels in order to compete in the marketplace.

In instances where we have a defective part, we always stand behind our products. We are the ONLY manufacturer in the restoration market who offers a 30 day no questions asked warranty to consumers.

We have been in business over 30 years supporting Mustang enthusiasts thoughout the US, North America and around the world that love our parts just as much as we do. We take care of hundreds of happy customer’s everyday and support businesses both large and small around the world.

While we can’t make everyone happy all of the time, we still work very hard at it. In the case of "CPR" he is using this forum and others as a way to express his thoughts and opinions and he is certainly free to do so. We on the other hand will use our time and the input posted to improve upon our products and focus on future offerings for the Mustang community.

Thank you for our support!
Old 03-23-2011, 03:44 PM
cprstreetmachines
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Drake1
Hello my name is Joe Johnston, I am the Director of Sales and Marketing for Drake Automotive Group (Scott Drake). We are familiar with the owner of CPR Street Machines, we have been reviewing this thread and the other threads that cpr street machines has posted on this site and others.
One other forum actually. They know me here and on the other site.

“CPR” did request to return his current inventory to us. As part of our company policy and the standard of most company policies within our industry, we allow a stock adjustment return with an offsetting order. I offered this to "CPR" and he declined.
Correct. Stating I was not interested in selling anymore of your product at all. I was not willing to trade a pile of unsatisfactory parts for another.

We did however take an extra step to have a very satisfied dealer in the area contact "CPR" and offer to buy the product. Apparently "CPR" did not follow up with them.
Kind of correct. You gave me a number, I contacted him and decided not sell it to him. He gets the same price I do. I would loose enough money it wouldn't be worth it. I'd rather sell it to a an end user and help them out and not potentially loose thousands. I've been selling the control arms at 75 ea instead. Selling back would have just been less headache.

In instances where we have a defective part, we always stand behind our products. We are the ONLY manufacturer in the restoration market who offers a 30 day no questions asked warranty to consumers.
And ? This should apply to the wholesaler as well. And why is it Paul said "This is the last one we're sending you" when it was shipped on your company truck, by a company employee. As if I had done anything other than open the box and see if cracked in the same spot every time ? Are you proud of a 30 day warranty ? Like it really means anything ? How many cars are assembled in 30 days or less ? Let's have some common sense here, and make sure the whole warranty is stated. Because you forgot the little asterisk "*". The one that says "Product must be returned undamaged, in resealable condition." Ahhh, the "catch all" clause. Which means when you damage the trim putting it on because it's made too thin, sorry, no warranty. Or you are trimming a piece of metal down to get it to fit, and that's the only way to get it close enough to figure it out, now it can't be resold. If your car is down while doing the interior on the weekends, nothing has a warranty when it back up and running. I see it all time with Chinese turbo kits and their 30 days warranty. By the time they get the car running and it leaks like a stuck pig, sorry, your SOL, buy a new turbo lol. A lot of good a 30 day warranty does huh ? That warranty is for a false warm and fuzzy for the customer. Where in VERY small instances when the part fails soon enough, you actually have recourse. Sorry, but if I offered only 30 days on my stuff I make, I'd be laughed at for a complete JOKE of a warranty. I should have just offered the same warranty on my labor with your parts. 30 sec or 30 feet. Would have been much better off financially. Your (anyone's) warranty is a DIRECT reflection of your own confidence in your product.

We have been in business over 30 years supporting Mustang enthusiasts thoughout the US, North America and around the world that love our parts just as much as we do. We take care of hundreds of happy customer’s everyday and support businesses both large and small around the world.

While we can’t make everyone happy all of the time, we still work very hard at it. In the case of "CPR" he is using this forum and others as a way to express his thoughts and opinions and he is certainly free to do so. We on the other hand will use our time and the input posted to improve upon our products and focus on future offerings for the Mustang community.

More blowing smoke. Like the last time I saw a SD employee on here about fender emblems that aren't even curved to fit the fender. Same spiel then,too. "We try, changing, blah blah." Mean while, the guys that bought the parts while you figured out how to do it correctly have a part that won't work they bought with hard earned money and all you can say is how long you've been in business you'll take it into consideration. Not to mention the headache and time you waste of your dealers handling the problem for you. I didn't see any offer to help them out with new parts on something you knew had a problem. Only "working on it". And something so simple. Like making a square headlight. The fender is curved, why wouldn't you make the emblems curved ? 30 years in the biz and that never occurred to anyone ? Sorry I have little patience for your attempt at a misdirection.
Old 03-23-2011, 04:14 PM
Oxnard Montalvo
4th Gear Member

CPR is not the only one who has voiced concerns about SDs declining quality. I try not to use repo parts at all so I have little experience with their products. But I've been following this thread and was wondering if the problem isn't the suppliers. Where there's smoke there's fire.

When I was in the Navy we used to be served meat that was marked USDA PRIME BEEF. Nothing could have been further from the truth, it was like shoe leather. Something happened to that beef from the time the government contracted for it to the time it went into our mouths. I have no doubt the Navy was paying for prime, and being ripped off.

My point is that Drake is probably like the Navy, contracting for parts that are supposed to meet a certain set of specifications and receiving inventory that doesn't quite measure up in both obvious (cracks) and subtle (contaminated metal) ways.
As a business they have to try and sell what they get and yet protect their reputation. It's a tough racket. I'd be highly interested to know how much effort is put into ensuring that received parts meet the contracted specs. I think some of this conflict can be attributed to the sucking sound coming from overseas.
Old 03-23-2011, 05:15 PM
ic237
2nd Gear Member

“CPR” did request to return his current inventory to us. As part of our company policy and the standard of most company policies within our industry, we allow a stock adjustment return with an offsetting order. I offered this to "CPR" and he declined. We did however take an extra step to have a very satisfied dealer in the area contact "CPR" and offer to buy the product. Apparently "CPR" did not follow up with them.

We stock over 9,000 parts for Ford Mustangs! Of those we own thousands of proprietary tools for specific parts and also produce many parts off original Ford tooling. A necessary process in order to manufacture the best parts for these 40 year old cars. It’s an investment that must be made and we are and have been willing to make it. We manufacture many parts in the USA and overseas. We also carry products and distribute products from many other brand name manufacturers. We are also an OEM supplier to Ford and Shelby. We have parts on the new Boss 302, GT500 and others.

In many of our products you will see our name stamped or cast into the part to signify that it is in fact one of our parts made from our tooling. We also purchase and distribute parts from other manufacturers that make some parts for Mustangs, as well as restoration parts for Corvettes, Camaros and others. No different than other businesses. Many of these parts we carry are to help us compete in various different categories, price points and meet customer demands. We signify these parts in many cases buy listing them as “economy” or “show quality”. Our economy parts retail at a third to half as much of what a show quality part costs. Some customers have asked for these different levels in order to compete in the marketplace.

Who better to represent the company than the head salesman.
" Thank you for our support " I thought it was "your support"!

Last edited by ic237; 03-23-2011 at 08:18 PM.
Old 03-23-2011, 07:35 PM
tcrote5516
2nd Gear Member

While we all appreciate your commitment to the classic Mustang's lets face facts, its not a public service...its a business. As such it needs to be profitable. Your business, like many others has clearly cut corners in pursuit of the bottom line that has damaged the reputation of your company.

We all know the discruntled customer always yell's louder its clear that this group represents a fair crosssection of classic Mustang owners that are not satisfied with your products or service. I don't see anyone coming to your aid. I hope within your well rehersed reply there is actualy somone who is looking at the long term growth strategy of your company and understanding quality is non negotiable.

Anyone with any common sense knows a 30 day "no questions asked" replacement isn't worth the paper its printed on when your talking about restoration parts. Perhaps Chip Foose will appreciate it but for the rest of the people buying your parts and taking longer then 7 days to Overhaul a car find it insulting and useless.

If your selling a quality product, why not back it up with a quality 1 year warrenty on non mechanical products???? A window crank, gas cap, window trim ect don't do anything but sit there and look pretty so where's the issue? Seems like some of these parts are made to expire and be replaced over and over again as a sales strategy. The color bars on the gas caps remind me of my electric toothbrush...90 days and it lets you know you need to replace it.

While your prices are not outragous, your not giving them away either. I expect that for my $54 I will get more then 3 months and 150 miles out of a gas cap before it discolors and the plastic lens cracks. Lucky for me my dealer backed me up 3 months later with no help from Drake. I'd be amazed if that cap cost more then $8 to mass produce and I'd rather you charge me $62 and double the amount you invest in quality materials.

Good luck to your company, I hope you guys pull it back together for the good of the Mustang community.

Quick Reply: Scott Drake "quality"