Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Autolite 1100 Vent Valve Rod

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 05:19 AM
Mr. Carb

Originally Posted by crawlina
You're right. I shouldn't be so hard on him. He just keeps embarrassing himself to the entire world! The guy obviously doesn't understand the concept of physics.

If you think education is expensive, try ignorance.
Quoted by Andy McIntyre and Derek Bok
OK, OK! You had your fun. Lay off the guy now.
Old 06-11-2011, 05:26 AM
crawlina

Originally Posted by Mr. Carb
OK, OK! You had your fun. Lay off the guy now.
ELVIS has left the forum!

To the uneducated, an A is just three sticks.
Quoted by A.A. Milne
Old 06-11-2011, 06:10 PM
67t5ponycoupe
5th Gear Member

Ok listen, the point I was making got completely lost when you guys started bashing me. This was the statement that was made by Crawlina "It vents the top chamber with air to cool down fuel." I said it was a load of crap and it is. The vent rod does not have anything to do with cooling down over heated fuel. The vent rod allows air into the top of the bowl because without it the bowl can build up a vacuum as fuel is consumed through the main metering system. Also the plastic rod opens the vent system on the top of the bowl and allows air to flow into the bowl. In extreme cases like when the fuel is boiling or when the float gets stuck it will allow fuel to escape out of the vent. Either way the vent being installed or omitted still allows the bowl to vent. For this I get call ignorant? That is rich. Oh yeah and FO on the spelling BS. Are you Rat Fink with a new posting name? Either way you are arrogant.

Last edited by 67t5ponycoupe; 06-11-2011 at 11:58 PM.
Old 06-11-2011, 06:16 PM
67t5ponycoupe
5th Gear Member

I just realized that I'm agruing with 2 guys that have a total of 18 posts. Both you guys need to get a life.
Old 06-12-2011, 01:25 AM
Mr. Carb

Originally Posted by 67t5ponycoupe
I just realized that I'm agruing with 2 guys that have a total of 18 posts. Both you guys need to get a life.
What's wrong with you? I was defending you by getting Crawlina off you back. These forums are not for fighting. Anyway Crawlina is actually right as I ran a carburetor shop for 42 years before retiring. Like you said the vent rod allows air into the chamber. Air cools! Your own statement proves Crawlina as correct. Hopefully Crawlina whom seems to be very arrogant, doesn't check back on this thread again and start all this crap over again. I was so happy to retire when I did. I hated it when customers acted as they knew more about carbs than a professional carb rebuilder. If they know so much why bring their screwed up carb to me get fixed or rebuilt? That was a rhetorical question.
Old 06-12-2011, 11:39 AM
Mr. Carb

I obviously have a life with a few posts. You have over 3700 posts which indicates you don't have a life. Crawlina was right, you do keep embarrassing yourself. Take some time and enlighten your life with other activities.

I wonder how much of these 3700 posts are full of erroneous comments? Hum?
Old 06-12-2011, 01:33 PM
67t5ponycoupe
5th Gear Member

I have that many posts because I have been coming here for many years. I have seen other posters come and go. I come here to help others with some practical knowledge from many years of working on these cars. Since coming here I have rebuild 4 of Mustangs and many more prior to that. If you had been here for some of that time you would know that. I use this forum as a relief from working on old Mustangs. I work a couple of hours and then come in and post for a bit. I don't come here to get bashed by two guys that have not been here long enough to establish a reputation and I certainly don't come here to get bashed by and English professor. I know that I miss spell words. I am human.

Mr. Carb if you are offended then I apologize. The Op was asking a question about where to get the plastic vent rod for an 1100 carb. I offered a solution by saying that he would loose no functionality by leaving the rod off and plugging the hole. That is a true statement. Crawlina then started talking about boiling fuel and how the vent was there to cool down boiling fuel. That is not true and that is what I said. The vent is there so that pressure or vacuum doesn't build up in the bowl and cause the carb to run poorly. Plugging the hole where the plastic rod goes does not make the vent inoperative. It still allows the vent to operate through the brass rod that goes into the throat of the carb. I called it equalization of pressure, which it is, and was basically called an idiot for it. I agree that some cooling is provided from the vent tube but that is not its primary function or its purpose for being there.

Saying that you need to dumb something down for me to understand it is not defending me.

I thought the purpose of the forum was to provide help for those that need it. I readily admit that I don’t know it all. I learn new stuff on here all the time. I do believe that I have some knowledge that can help. If you believe that you do too then please stick around and help. If not I won’t miss you or Crawlina.

Sorry for highjacking the post. The bottom line is, I say leave the rod off and plug the hole. If anyone disagrees then let him say so.
Old 06-13-2011, 03:20 AM
Mr. Carb

I have that many posts because I have been coming here for many years. I have seen other posters come and go. I come here to help others with some practical knowledge from many years of working on these cars. Since coming here I have rebuild 4 of Mustangs and many more prior to that. If you had been here for some of that time you would know that. I use this forum as a relief from working on old Mustangs. I work a couple of hours and then come in and post for a bit. I don't come here to get bashed by two guys that have not been here long enough to establish a reputation and I certainly don't come here to get bashed by and English professor. I know that I miss spell words. I am human.

Mr. Carb if you are offended then I apologize. The Op was asking a question about where to get the plastic vent rod for an 1100 carb. I offered a solution by saying that he would loose no functionality by leaving the rod off and plugging the hole. That is a true statement. Crawlina then started talking about boiling fuel and how the vent was there to cool down boiling fuel. That is not true and that is what I said. The vent is there so that pressure or vacuum doesn't build up in the bowl and cause the carb to run poorly. Plugging the hole where the plastic rod goes does not make the vent inoperative. It still allows the vent to operate through the brass rod that goes into the throat of the carb. I called it equalization of pressure, which it is, and was basically called an idiot for it. I agree that some cooling is provided from the vent tube but that is not its primary function or its purpose for being there.

Saying that you need to dumb something down for me to understand it is not defending me.

I thought the purpose of the forum was to provide help for those that need it. I readily admit that I don’t know it all. I learn new stuff on here all the time. I do believe that I have some knowledge that can help. If you believe that you do too then please stick around and help. If not I won’t miss you or Crawlina.

Sorry for highjacking the post. The bottom line is, I say leave the rod off and plug the hole. If anyone disagrees then let him say so.
When I told Crawlina to "Dumb it down" is because Crawlina is referring to advanced physics. Most normal people don't know advanced physics or even know basic physics. The term "Dumb it down" refers to speaking in laymen terms for everybody to understand what Crawlina was saying. As far as the Autolite 1100, it was engineered to have the vent rod. Since the parts are still available might as well use the parts it was designed to work with. There's no point in taking short cuts when the parts are readily available. If the parts are not available and you have a daily driver, they short cuts will be a quick fix. But since the parts are available this becomes a mute point and all the back and forth was all pointless.
Old 09-27-2011, 01:03 AM
Tilley
2nd Gear Member

Plugging the hole where the plastic rod goes does not make the vent inoperative. It still allows the vent to operate through the brass rod that goes into the throat of the carb.
What brass rod are you referring to? So if I plug up the hole where the rod went through, how and where does it vent?
Old 09-28-2011, 01:42 AM
crawlina

Originally Posted by Tilley
What brass rod are you referring to? So if I plug up the hole where the rod went through, how and where does it vent?
It's really a brass tube that is on the upper housing. It's easy to spot. It's the only brass on the carburetor. I don't recommend plugging the hole. It's a short cut and could dump more fuel. The chances for an engine fire increases. There's no point for the short cut. Just buy the vent rod and do it right the first time.

Quick Reply: Autolite 1100 Vent Valve Rod