Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Autolite 1100 Vent Valve Rod

Old 06-07-2011, 10:09 PM
Tilley
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 67t5ponycoupe
They have a plug in the whole in the top of the bowl. I say leave it off and call it good.
Okay...how much is the plug, where can I buy one...

Oh wait. They don't make them? How much do you think it would cost to make them?
Old 06-09-2011, 12:06 AM
crawlina

There has to be a local mustang or falcon shop that has some of these laying around. Either that or check Craig's list and see if someone has an old 1100 they are trying to sell. As a last resort I would make one out of steel and see if I could make it work. I haven't work on a lot of 1100's lately but I can't believe that rod would be that hard to find.
It's not. The early post shows they are at Champion Mustang. Someone was complaining about something that started the tangent.
Old 06-09-2011, 12:19 AM
crawlina

Last edited by crawlina; 06-09-2011 at 12:21 AM.
Old 06-09-2011, 12:21 AM
crawlina

Talked to my buddy at the Mustang shop who just happened to be rebuilding one for a customer and I got some good info from him. The later 1100's didn't even have that rod on them. Ford figured out it was not doing any good and infact the remanufactured carbs that you get now will not have them on there either. They have a plug in the whole in the top of the bowl. I say leave it off and call it good.
Actually that statement is half correct. All autolite 1100 models had this rod. It's carb rebuilders who don't have the rod on hand that plug to port. Now what does this rod do? It vents the top chamber with air to cool down fuel. If the port is plugged and the engine gets too hot the fuel will start to boil and back out through the brass tube on top thus pouring excessive fuel in the carb flooding it out in the middle of traffic. The vent rod provides a passage that is not completely sealed. Fuel that has been met a boiling point and needs to expand out of the carb escapes from the side of the carb vs. down the carb into the intake. End result your engine isn't flooded with gas. Now why doesn't your carb rebuilder tell you this? Why does he just say plug the hole? Reason is you will take your carb to find another rebuilder who has the parts. Every part on a carb has a reason for their existence. Now if I was a rebuilder and I didn't have the part and I had a customer with cash in hand, I would probably say, "Just plug the hole!" and take the cash. These rebuilders have to eat too! If you want your carb to work as it originally was intended don't cheat yourself. The rod costs you $20 bucks and you don't have to worry about flooding your engine. Like I always say, "If you are going to do it, do it right the first time!"

Last edited by crawlina; 06-09-2011 at 12:26 AM.
Old 06-09-2011, 10:56 AM
67t5ponycoupe
5th Gear Member

I've never hear so much crap in all my life. How in the world will venting the top of the fuel bowl cool down the fuel. If the fuel is getting too hot it is heat transfer from the carb its self. Venting the fuel bowl will not stop heat transfer into the fuel. Bowl vents are there to equallize the pressure between inside and outside the bowl. Ford actually stop putting the system on the later model carbs so it is not just the rebuilders leaving parts off.
Old 06-10-2011, 01:04 PM
crawlina

I've never hear so much crap in all my life. How in the world will venting the top of the fuel bowl cool down the fuel. If the fuel is getting too hot it is heat transfer from the carb its self. Venting the fuel bowl will not stop heat transfer into the fuel. Bowl vents are there to equallize the pressure between inside and outside the bowl. Ford actually stop putting the system on the later model carbs so it is not just the rebuilders leaving parts off.
Well Mr. Crap,

The function of the Vent rod is for "venting" thus the name "Vent Rod". They don't call it an equalizer rod. The vent rod moves back and forth to vent. The passage leads directly into the fuel chamber. It provides an additional vent needed to ensure fuel doesn't back out of the top brass vent thus flooding the engine. Yes, you are correct that Ford stopped using a vent rod on later carburetor models. The Autolite 1100 was designed to use this part. Other models were redesigned so they didn't need this part. This thread is not referring to later model carburetors. This thread is for one specific model the Autolite 1100, or what Ford called the "F1". If you want to talk about other models, don't hijack this thread. Find another thread and get a spell checker. Equalize is not spelled "equallize".

"A mind is a terrible thing to waste."
Quoted by Forrest Long - 1971

Last edited by crawlina; 06-10-2011 at 01:09 PM.
Old 06-10-2011, 02:46 PM
67t5ponycoupe
5th Gear Member

Venting is equalizing the bowl so that no pressure or vacuum builds up in the bowl. My point was that it does not have anything to do with cooling the fuel as you stated. If you believe that then you are mistaken. The rod being left off will still allow the bowl to vent, or equalize the pressure. Why is it that when a discusion on here gets heated, spelling comes into it. Sorry, I miss spelled a word, freaking sue me.

Now you can go ahead and explain the whole fuel cooling thing to me so I will be as knowledgeable as you.
Old 06-11-2011, 04:50 AM
crawlina

Venting is equalizing the bowl so that no pressure or vacuum builds up in the bowl. My point was that it does not have anything to do with cooling the fuel as you stated. If you believe that then you are mistaken. The rod being left off will still allow the bowl to vent, or equalize the pressure. Why is it that when a discusion on here gets heated, spelling comes into it. Sorry, I miss spelled a word, freaking sue me.

Now you can go ahead and explain the whole fuel cooling thing to me so I will be as knowledgeable as you.

Physics 427: Thermal & Statistical Physics. You may want to go back and look over your physics notes and maybe look over your English notes as well. Discussion is not spelled "discusion".

Education is what survives when what has been learned has been forgotten.
Quoted by B. F. Skinner
Old 06-11-2011, 05:02 AM
Mr. Carb

Originally Posted by crawlina
Physics 427: Thermal & Statistical Physics. You may want to go back and look over your physics notes and maybe look over your English notes as well. Discussion is not spelled "discusion".

Education is what survives when what has been learned has been forgotten.
Quoted by B. F. Skinner
Crawlina,

You are absolutely correct in your statements about the vent rod. But you need to dumb it down for 67t5ponycoupe. Give the guy a break!
Old 06-11-2011, 05:14 AM
crawlina

Originally Posted by Mr. Carb
Crawlina,

You are absolutely correct in your statements about the vent rod. But you need to dumb it down for 67t5ponycoupe. Give the guy a break!
You're right. I shouldn't be so hard on him. He just keeps embarrassing himself to the entire world! The guy obviously doesn't understand the concept of physics.

If you think education is expensive, try ignorance.
Quoted by Andy McIntyre and Derek Bok

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Autolite 1100 Vent Valve Rod