Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

9 inch rear tear town help

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 08:49 AM
racer_dave
3rd Gear Member

Knock it loose using a chisel and hammer (light taps). Sometimes a thick bladed 1" putty knife can be used if you can't get a chisel in the crack yet.

I've welded drain plugs in as well. I weld in a steel 1/8" pipe thread bung on the bottom side of the center, at an angle to the short side axle. This way you can tilt the rear to get the last bit of fluid to drain out. Make sure your welding is good so it won't leak, and then go back and dress the inside with die grinder to clean up the sharp edges. You can then use any style plug that is 1/8" pipe thread.

This works great, I do it on all the race car rears I build. I also safety wire it during competition so it doesn't come loose under the severe racing conditions. I've never safety wired the one on my street car, and it never leaks or comes loose.
Old 03-27-2011, 10:56 PM
Stangman70
2nd Gear Member

Stupid question here, but I just started to tear down my rear as well. Bought it in two pieces, one with the housing and the axles and a separate 3rd member. My question is how do you get the axles out of the housing? I've been pulling and pulling, but they just won't budge. Drums are off and I am not sure what needs to come off next.
Old 03-28-2011, 08:15 AM
Wiremania

Default 67 rear axle

Hi Guys,
I have a 67 Coupe that I am rebuilding from the ground up to a fastback. Vin code off the original plate for the axle is an "O" with a trans code of "W" for a C4 and an engine code for a 289 2BBL. I followed up on it and what I have found is the "O" code doesnt show up till 69....Any clue of what I have? It is a 5 bolt pattern
Thanks....
Old 03-28-2011, 01:32 PM
built67
2nd Gear Member

stangman70, if ur drums are off, and u unbolted the retainer plate, then u just have to pull the axles and they should slide out. mine took some effort to come out. my chilton manual actually recommended i use a slide hammer, because the bearings don't budge to easily. i pulled my axles off first, then the third member. i am a little confused on how ur thirdmember is out but ur axles are in. i though the axles go into the third member...
Old 03-28-2011, 01:33 PM
built67
2nd Gear Member

wiremania, im not sure. start ur own thread on this topic, u wont get many responses as this thread is about my rear build up. what ur doing is referred to in the forum world as "thread jacking" lol
Old 03-28-2011, 02:33 PM
Wiremania

Thanks Built....as you can see I'm new at this....Lmao
Old 03-28-2011, 02:50 PM
TexasAxMan
4th Gear Member

I had to put the drum on backwards and use a sledge hammer to break my axles free. It still took a lot of blows .....
Old 03-28-2011, 04:15 PM
Stangman70
2nd Gear Member

Built67 I bought a housing that had the 3rd member out but still had the axles. So I bought a 3rd member to replace the missing one. I wanted to clean up the housing and have it painted to get it ready to put into the car at a later date.
Old 03-28-2011, 05:08 PM
racer_dave
3rd Gear Member

If the rear hasn't been apart in a long time you'll need a hammer to get the axles out. Make sure all 4 retaining nuts are off, then seperate the plates with a chisel/putty knife. Then start beating on the axle flange to unseat the bearings and get the axles to come out. When you put it back together don't forget the axle reatiner plate gaskets, and make sure to get the plates right side up.
Old 04-02-2011, 06:38 PM
built67
2nd Gear Member

good advice racer dave...so now that i have this thing apart, what's the best way to go about cleaning it up?

Quick Reply: 9 inch rear tear town help