Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Need help identifying part behind "wiper/light" knob and bezel

Old 08-26-2005, 11:52 PM
earlymustang
2nd Gear Member

Default Need help identifying part behind "wiper/light" **** and bezel

I am replacing the wiper and light bezels and *****. Got everything off the dash (*****, bezel and cylinder thingy w/ threads). What is the part that you actually unscrew that has threads on it? The wiper part is short while the light one is longer. Are these available reproduction parts? I thought I would replace these as well since I am replacing the ***** and bezels. I could not find these in the NPD catalog.

Thanks
Old 08-27-2005, 07:41 AM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: Need help identifying part behind "wiper/light" **** and bezel

Are you talking about the switches themselves? If so, I am surprised that NPD doesn't carry them. And, if they still work, why replace them?
Old 08-27-2005, 09:08 AM
earlymustang
2nd Gear Member

no, not the switches. The part that holds the circular bezel in place. It sits right behind the *****. You would unscrew these so you can remove the bezels.
Old 08-27-2005, 10:55 AM
1965MustangFastback
2nd Gear Member

Ok, I'm glad to see you got everything off ok! The parts you're talking about are "NOT" being reproduced, you'll need to reuse the old ones! You wont really see them when everything is back together! But you can take some 0000 steel wool and clean then up to look new again! Good luck
Old 08-27-2005, 11:06 AM
earlymustang
2nd Gear Member

yeah, everything came off pretty easy except for the light bezel. The chrome isn't too bad, just the slots where you unscrew it are almost stripped from the previous owner attempting to remove it I guess. Well, I will just have to be careful reinstalling them. Thanks for letting me know they are not available. Been looking all over for them.
Old 09-06-2005, 03:48 PM
Charlie1
2nd Gear Member

Hey, I'm replacing my headlight switch (66). Symptons indicate the circuit breaker built into the switch isn't funtioning correctly (lights flicker on and off after being on for about 15 minutes). What holds the whole switch mechanism in place? I see threads there on the switch frame but they are about 1.5 inches back from where the switch would butt up against the backside of the dashboard. So I'm hoping the bezel has a stem with threads on it on it that protrudes back a couple of inches and that just screws into those threads. Or are there mounting screws or bolts I have to deal with?
Old 09-06-2005, 06:21 PM
earlymustang
2nd Gear Member

After removing the ****, there is a cylinder inside of the bezel that unscrews. That's as far as I went since the bezel is all I replaced. Not sure how the switch itself is removed and replaced. You might want to start a new thread so you can get some direct visibility. Good Luck!
Old 09-06-2005, 08:23 PM
1965MustangFastback
2nd Gear Member

Ok, You need to remove the **** first! So you'll need to reach up under the dash and feel for the headlight switch, when you find the switch you'll need to feel for a small button thats on the switch! Its on the side or the top, I can't remember! When you find it, just push it in and keep it held down, and at the same time pull the headlight **** out! The bezel should pop off, then you'll need to remove the wiring from the switch or you can do the removing of the wiring first, thats your call! I hope this helps!

[IMG]local://upfiles/16936/03B607CCBC72415CBD80EC086F4F6BD6.jpg[/IMG]