Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

1968 289 H2O

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 09:46 AM
mr_velocity
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Gregski
Yes I did and it would not budge, sorry I should have made that clear in the beginning, good point.
I see $0.12/lb in your future.
Old 04-01-2011, 09:48 AM
boeing747arowair
3rd Gear Member

continue breaking it down! seized!
Old 04-01-2011, 10:36 AM
OCHOHILL
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Gregski
I am not ruling anything out but so far the plan is to do as little as possible, not because I am lazy but to learn/prove that's all you have to do to fix things. Basically use common sense, if I can replace the pistons or rings with the block in the car, so be it, you know what I'm saying? So I am not going to remove the engine and send it to a machine shop, write them a check, then drop it back in, LOL.

I am a computer nerd, so I often fall back on analogies to a computer, so here it goes. Yes reinstalling the operating system on your computer will fix your video card problem, but so would just uninstalling and reinstalling the video card driver. The operating system reinstall sometimes called a re image is the equivalent of rebuilding the whole motor, where as replacing the video card driver, is putting on new rings and gaskets and calling it a day.

Since you didn't ask here's another one for you. How many times did you call the Computer Help Desk with a problem and they told you to reboot the computer, well nothing pisses you off more than hearing that right? Well it is a whole lot easier to tell your high turn over staff on the help desk to have you do that, than to explain to them how to walk you (the pissed off customer) through rebuilding the TCP/IP stack, or stop and restart all the relevant Services in proper sequence. But that's why they have you do it. Well I don't want to reboot my Mustang I just want it to make some noise and smoke.

Just trying to explain where I am coming from and maybe since anyone reading this is using a computer, they will be able to relate.
It would seem your mother board is fried. Rust in the intake ports can only mean 1 thing. Rust in some of the cylinders. You will have a very difficult time removing the pistons. I suggest you pull the engine. I understand your desire to prove the basic repairs thing. More than likely, you will be dollars ahead starting with a different engine.

Only completely disassembling the engine will determine which route you should take. This is another reason to pull the motor.
Old 04-01-2011, 10:46 AM
abrush
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by OCHOHILL
It would seem your mother board is fried. Rust in the intake ports can only mean 1 thing. Rust in some of the cylinders. You will have a very difficult time removing the pistons. I suggest you pull the engine. I understand your desire to prove the basic repairs thing. More than likely, you will be dollars ahead starting with a different engine.

Only completely disassembling the engine will determine which route you should take. This is another reason to pull the motor.
I too would suggest pulling the engine as mentioned above you are going to have one heck of a time freeing up the pistons with rusty cylinder walls. Once you are able to free them you may even have to have the engine bored or honed depending on what the actual walls look like. If that is the case you will be removing the engine anyways.
Old 04-01-2011, 10:59 AM
boeing747arowair
3rd Gear Member

agreed! being that it is seized you need cylinder honing or boring if pited!
Old 04-02-2011, 12:34 AM
Gregski
3rd Gear Member

Default Nothing Like Doing Step 1... Third!!!

OK, with the valve covers off, the 289 heads confirmed, and the intake off, it was finally time to remove the spark plugs. Like I said I should have done this first, but no worries, how bad could it be?

Removing the plugs revealed that 5 are one kind and 3 are a different kind. More importantly when I removed the #2 spark plug, water pored out of the hole like it was a faucet. Ditto for #5, see people's Exhibit A and B below.

HYSTERIA CONTROL:
Before you tell me what sort of pin head I am for not checking this first even before buying this car, know this, I have a good to go 302 motor and a C4 transmission sitting in my garage. When I bought this car I was just looking for a roller, a chassy to drop my motor into, but since it came with one, why not toy with it a bit, know what I mean Vern?

And yes I put my Sharpie to good use, I label everything...

Old 04-02-2011, 12:35 AM
Gregski
3rd Gear Member

Default The Old Headers

This is what the headers looked like when I removed them. They looked good, they felt good, then I tapped them on the garage floor, and well you can see for yourself what lurked inside, and the gaping holes in each one. I want to thank the previous owner, aka P.O. for being a gentleman and not tightening the manifold bolts like a gorilla but actually doing it right, they came right off, so thank you sir.

Fortunately I own a set of used stock intake manifolds, and two different sets of long tube headers. All these sets I purchased at a swap meet last year for $20 bucks a set, SCORE. I am thinking Cherry Bomb glass packs out the side, Ol' School baby, Ol' School.

Old 04-02-2011, 07:00 AM
scootchu
4th Gear Member

Oh that's just swell. I don't think you'll be fixing any of that in or out of the car.

Was the car under water? If the engine is like that I would definitely check out the front frame rails
Old 04-02-2011, 08:52 AM
MustangFTW

i wish i had headers, and engine and a transmission sitting around in my garage.

looking good but i would definitely check the front frame rails.

Old 04-02-2011, 09:14 AM
Gregski
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by scootchu
If the engine is like that I would definitely check out the front frame rails
Friggen solid as a rock! Car sat out in a field with no hood or air cleaner on it, but I think it had a blue tarp over the engine bay for as long as it took for it to disintegrate. Only rust damage in the engine bay is a golf ball sized hole by the battery.

Quick Reply: 1968 289 H2O