Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

selling/purchasing vin

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 07:13 PM
65rangoon
3rd Gear Member

also, i agree with whats been said before.

you already parted out the car of what was 'usable'. sell the rest of it as a project car and once you have the $$ in hand, bill of sale showing you sold the car to so & so with their license # & rest of their info your hands are washed of the vehicle.

if they decide they want to switch vins thats on them.
Old 04-17-2011, 05:35 PM
THUMPIN455
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by andrewmp6
All i gotta say is unique performance or http://www.mustangheaven.com/2010/cl...-vin-swapping/

I know the cop who busted these guys, and they went away for it. They also ended up losing a bunch of cars for the owners. There is a reason it is a felony and an even better reason not to do it. If it is too far gone, then its gone. What is too far gone is debatable because I can save things most people wouldnt even consider. Just check out the 71 link.
Old 04-17-2011, 08:14 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

I bought my 39 from the son of the original purchaser, in the intervening years the signed title was lost. The car was last registered in 1970, the state of Arizona has no record of the title because it never made it to film. (destroyed)

The Vin was stamped on the frame which is long gone.

When push comes to shove, I will do what I need to do to get a title, if this means buying a "junk" car with a title so be it. It is not my intent to defraud anyone in any way, but I AM going to title and license my car. If there is a practical "strictly legal" remedy, I will pursue this option, if not, I will do what I need to do. It is my car (bought and paid for), and I will treat it as such.

Read that any way you want to. The DMV should not have purged the records....