Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Better Tires For 15 Inch Wheels (white letter or black wall)

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 04:08 AM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

Question Tires For 15 Inch Wheels (Michelin Pilot Exalto)

I have 215 60 15 BFG Radial TAs on the front of my car right now. It has 235 60 15 rear. I am kinda getting tired of the white letter look. I'm also wanting to find a better performing tire. I have 15x7 Magnum 500 wheels and 1 inch drop springs.

I recently saw these Michelin Pilot Exalto tires. I had not seen them before, because I never looked for 215 65 15 tires. I wonder how well they will fit in the front of my 65. I'm thinking about running them on all 4 wheels instead of staggered. Has anyone used them?

They have an H speed rating rather than T and are traction A temperature A instead of traction A temperature B.

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/fin...=TXAINT&cs=215

My TAs are only about 2 years old and have about 6k miles on them. I'm thinking about having them flipped to black sidewall for now, until I can save up for the new tires.

If I do flip them, what is the best thing to use to cover up the while letters so they can't be seen from under the car?

Thoughts?

Last edited by tx65coupe; 04-16-2011 at 05:20 AM.
Old 04-16-2011, 05:18 AM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

Another reason I'm thinking about running all 4 tires the same size, is I would like to have a matching spare tire so that I don't have to worry about tearing up the traction lock differential.

The way it is now my spare is a 205 60 15, but even if it was a 215 60 15 that matches the front, its still too short for the rear.

Last edited by tx65coupe; 04-16-2011 at 05:23 AM.
Old 04-16-2011, 06:47 AM
jspagna1
3rd Gear Member

It should work out fine on your car. Mine are staggered, but I am running a 195/65/15 in the front of my car and I do not have a drop. And I'm running a 235/60/15 Drag Radial in the rear.
My other/stock tires are 14" Styled Steel wheels with 205/70/14 front and 215/70/14 rear. I have Yokahama tires on those rims.
Personally I like to shop Tirerack because I think they have better prices and have always had good experience with them for all my cars. I found the same tires on Tirerack for less $$.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes
Old 04-16-2011, 03:44 PM
Oxnard Montalvo
4th Gear Member

Tirerack has the same tires for $99 each. Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S
215/65R-15 96H RRBL
Shipping varies so I'd at least run the numbers.

As far as blacking out the letters maybe try a little flat black paint.
Old 04-17-2011, 04:57 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

i like your car the way it is, with the wide lettering. I'd leave them the way they are, at least not turn them around. However ya, the BFG Radial T/A are shockingly bad tires (great for wheelspinning nothing else). I'd just leave them for the moment and save for the tyre you want ... i had to get somethign that's good on rain (unfortunately)
Old 04-18-2011, 03:32 AM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

I'll definitely consider Tire Rack. I think Discount Tire will price match. Maybe I can get them to match the racks prices.

Kalli, what tires are you running?

I'm still really interested in these these Michelins but am considering the BFG Traction TA, which has been mentioned before. I haven't looked at it much though. Any other good tire options?

Last edited by tx65coupe; 04-18-2011 at 03:37 AM.
Old 04-18-2011, 04:13 AM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

Well, I guess the BFG Tractions are out. I guess they are dinscontinued.

The Michelins appear to be on backorder, so who knows when they will be available.

Does Goodyear make anything good? LOL...
Old 04-18-2011, 06:02 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

I have some bog standard Firestone "fuelsavers" ... what a joke, heh? 5liter V8 with fuelsaving tyres ....

but they're quite good in rain (had them on my Audi), so I re-used them
I can't believe the traction TAs are out of stock/discontinued. they were good tyres.

couldn't find them on tirerack, but summit stil sells them.
http://www.summitracing.com/search/W...traction+T%2fA
don't know if any of the sizes is appealing to you? what are you planning?

i know staggered is a pita with reserve wheels. you'd have to have the bigger size to match the posi, but question is will that fit in the front when one of them blows ?!
if you are going same size all wheels. what will you be shooting for? do you have power steering?

those seem new, maybe the followup or the traction TAs
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes ??? at least they have a modern pattern ...

Last edited by kalli; 04-18-2011 at 06:09 AM.
Old 04-18-2011, 10:06 AM
Oxnard Montalvo
4th Gear Member

Because you live in Texas you might want to consider summer tires, the difference they make in handling is enormous. Plus you get rid of the snow tire tread pattern. Check the specs on the Sumitomos or the Yokohamas. The Sumitomos at $67 apiece are quite a deal.
It's a sad day when Japanese tires are the best but it's a fact of live in the new millennium.
I run the Yokohamas in the warm weather and couldn't be happier with the results.

Summer tires.

Last edited by Oxnard Montalvo; 04-18-2011 at 10:26 AM.
Old 04-18-2011, 09:22 PM
tx65coupe
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by kalli
I have some bog standard Firestone "fuelsavers" ... what a joke, heh? 5liter V8 with fuelsaving tyres ....

but they're quite good in rain (had them on my Audi), so I re-used them
I can't believe the traction TAs are out of stock/discontinued. they were good tyres.

couldn't find them on tirerack, but summit stil sells them.
http://www.summitracing.com/search/W...traction+T%2fA
don't know if any of the sizes is appealing to you? what are you planning?

i know staggered is a pita with reserve wheels. you'd have to have the bigger size to match the posi, but question is will that fit in the front when one of them blows ?!
if you are going same size all wheels. what will you be shooting for? do you have power steering?

those seem new, maybe the followup or the traction TAs
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes ??? at least they have a modern pattern ...
I'm not going to have staggered tires any more. All 4 wheels are the same size.

I'm planning on either 215 60 15 or 215 65 15 on all four wheels. It looks like Summit does have the Traction TA in 215 60 15.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/BFG-81547/

That is funny that you have fuel saver type tires, but if they work well thats good.

I kinda like the G Force sport, but they are summer tires.

I don't know if 225 60 15 will fit in the front of my car with out rubbing the upper control arm or the bottom edge of the front fender.

I have manual steering, but have an Opentracker roller idler arm. I'm not opposed to 225s in the front if they fit.

Last edited by tx65coupe; 04-18-2011 at 09:34 PM.

Quick Reply: Better Tires For 15 Inch Wheels (white letter or black wall)