Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

65 temp gauge not working

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 07:47 PM
Oafboy182

Default 65 temp gauge not working

I replaced the sending unit and the gauge itself. the fuses look good. is it possible this doohicky could be the problem? it has a wire going from it to to the gauge. i tried the search function but it doesn't seem to be working.
Old 04-17-2011, 09:18 PM
Iskwezm
4th Gear Member

That is your IVR(instrument voltage regulator).It should have 12V going into it and 5V coming out to the guages.
Old 04-17-2011, 09:20 PM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

That's the Constant Voltage Regulator. If your fuel and oil pressure are working, it's OK. Disconnect the plug from the sender and ground it to the engine. If the temp shoots up, you have a sender problem.
Old 04-18-2011, 07:10 PM
Oafboy182

Other gauges work so I guess that's not it. I replaced the sending unit but maybe I got a dud or the wire isn't on all the way. I'll try the grounding thing, thanks.
Old 04-19-2011, 07:54 PM
Oafboy182

ok so my temp gauge still isn't working but now when my lights are off the dash lights are on and when the lights are on my dash lights are off. i put 4 new bulbs in and need to get 4 more to replace the others, but they are all working at the moment. the dimmer works as far as dimming the dash lights but only when the switch is in the off position. everything worked fine last time i drove the car, except temp gauge, so i cant figure out what is going on. the only thing I've done is put in a new gauge and 4 new bulbs. right now the gauge cluster isnt installed. is it possible it needs to be installed all the way to properly ground it?
Old 04-20-2011, 07:01 PM
Joes65
1st Gear Member

Yea its not grounded if its not mounted. I just went through the same thing, I made a temporary ground out of alligator clips and some 10ga wire, clip it to the cluster and then to a ground for testing.

You can test the gauge with a D cell battery, jump the + side to the that goes to the constant voltage unit and the - to the side going to the sender. It takes a minute but the gauge should slowly go up.

I bet if you have everything pulled out something is grounding causing the lights issue.
Old 04-22-2011, 05:35 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

cluster lights will not work when it's not mounted. the clamp at bottom of cluster (that goes in first when you mount it) is what gives ground to the cluster.
Old 04-23-2011, 12:39 AM
DenDen
1st Gear Member

Ive heard this said before and had it happened to me also.new sending units are not all the same.Some people try a lot of different ones until they find one that works with their gauge.I never looked at more than one.replaced the whole thing with an aftermarket gauge.
Old 05-06-2011, 05:38 PM
Oafboy182

So I put all new bulbs in and put it all together and now my fuel gauge isn't working either. It was working while I was replacing the temp gauge but I'm wondering if all the fiddling around in there finally did the IVR in completely. My oil and Alt light work just fine as do the instrument lights. I would prefer not to buy a IVR right now if I don't need to as money is kind of tight right now. If I have to I will though.
Old 05-06-2011, 06:16 PM
ic237
2nd Gear Member

[QUOTE=Oafboy182;7535973]So I put all new bulbs in and put it all together and now my fuel gauge isn't working either. It was working while I was replacing the temp gauge but I'm wondering if all the fiddling around in there finally did the IVR in completely. My oil and Alt light work just fine as do the instrument lights. I would prefer not to buy a IVR right now if I don't need to as money is kind of tight right now. If I have to I will though.[/QUOT

Quick Reply: 65 temp gauge not working