Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Who has swapped to discs with this kit?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2011, 08:26 PM
superdavid
4th Gear Member

Default Who has swapped to discs with this kit?

Greetings!

I haven't been on here in quite a while... I was always on here for quite a while. Then I went to school to get my engineering degree, and got married. The 'Stang has been sitting for some time now. Anyway, I just took a job up in Tulsa and I want to drive my car up there. Being married now, I'm a lot more careful than I used to be and I want discs all the way around.

I currently have discs on the rear, with drums on the front (*** backwards, I know, its a long story).

The car is a '67 coupe, 408W, T5, 9" rear, discs on the rear.

Here's the kits I'm looking at:
http://www.discbrakeswap.com/Mustang...20CATALOG.html

The prices seem right, the big question is what kit to get. Also, I want to keep my wheels. Do you guys think I could re-use my brake lines, or am I going to need new ones?

Last question: roughly how many man-hours should I plan on spending doing this swap? I'm of average ability, with decent tools, and no lift.

Thanks for the help!
Old 04-30-2011, 08:51 PM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

I've seen the SWAP.1 installed at Glazier/Nolan. They really liked it. One advantage is it's the "correct" OEM style for your car. Another is it uses the spindles you already have, saving you a lot of work. If you can replace your spark plugs, you should be able to install that kit on a Saturday. It's a very complete kit, everything you need should be in the box.
Old 04-30-2011, 09:17 PM
superdavid
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2+2GT
If you can replace your spark plugs, you should be able to...
If you had ever replaced the spark plugs in a '66 with a 351W, you wouldn't use that analogy lol!

Sounds good though. I'll probably order on Monday, thanks for the help!
Old 04-30-2011, 09:29 PM
jp1967stang
2nd Gear Member

i have the Grenada kit on my 65. works great comes with everything you need i just had to adapt my existing steel lines.
Old 04-30-2011, 10:09 PM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by superdavid
If you had ever replaced the spark plugs in a '66 with a 351W, you wouldn't use that analogy lol!

Sounds good though. I'll probably order on Monday, thanks for the help!
I'll see your 66 351, and raise you a 68 428 Shelby with intact smog injectors, a 1990 Thunderbird SC, and a Sunbeam Tiger. What else can you show me?

(BTW, the SC was the worst of them. 3 of the plugs cannot be seen when installed, and all must be accessed from under the car. It took me 3 hours to replace the plugs and wires on that one, and it's a V6.)
Old 04-30-2011, 11:52 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

Try a V6 Ford Probe. Prolly easier to replace the entire engine that the back 3 plugs.
Old 05-01-2011, 08:31 AM
12sec67

give dennis a call and he will walk you through which one is best suited for your car. he is a great businessman. I have ordered from him many time for customers cars and have had no complaints
Old 05-01-2011, 09:35 AM
kalli
6th Gear Member

Jaysus, haven't seen you for ages ! :-) seems all is good :-)

i have his kit as well, just give dennis from discbrakeswap a call, he can sort you out easily with everything you need. He's a great contact very easy to deal with and _very_ helpful (the patience he showed with me on occasion) ... ;-)
Old 05-01-2011, 09:59 AM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

I have the OE KH-style kit (non-power) on my '67. It was a breeze to install. The most difficult part was bending new front hard lines, which was easier for me than trying to adapt the old lines to work. All in all, the project took two days. It would've been one day had I not stopped halfway through the first day after spending an hour bending a front brake line that, unbeknownst to me, had metric fittings on it:-|

The brakes are nothing short of fantastic. I drive my car very hard on occasion and have never been able to get them to fade. I couldn't see any need for a 'bigger' brake kit unless you're taking the car to open track events regularly. Best of all, they fit under 14" (disc brake style) wheels.
Old 05-01-2011, 03:25 PM
kalli
6th Gear Member

LOL. finally someone being caught with metric stuff on the :-) Usually it's opnly me who suffers. I spent one day fitting and another half for piping. I think as well it can be done in a day if you are not like me having constant coffe/beer/cigarette brakes

Quick Reply: Who has swapped to discs with this kit?