Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

'65 289 vs newer 302

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 08:48 PM
rusty65
1st Gear Member

Thanks for all the updates! Ill undoubtedly be asking more questions as i progress, but i have a slightly off topic question...

I was offered a camaro t5 as part of a trade for some old toyota mr2 parts i have sitting around and i was wondering, is true that the camaro t5 is significantly weaker than the mustang t5's? Could a camaro t5 be used in a 65 mustang? Would I be able to make it compatible with my 302 HO that im building as discussed above?

I tried to find such a topic on the forums but only came across ones discussing input shaft lengths....
Old 05-09-2011, 08:50 PM
rusty65
1st Gear Member

Gergski - I picked up the motor already and am heading down to get the mustang on wednesday with cash in hand. However, even if the deal goes south for some unforeseeable reason i will still continue the build as i have other applications the 302 would work in, but i would more likely just continue the hunt for another suitable 65/66
Old 05-09-2011, 08:53 PM
Gregski
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by rmodel65
go to the junkyard and buy an explorer 5.0 add a new cam to it and a 4v intake and get a dizzy with the proper cam gear for the roller cam add some roller rockers and youll have 300hp easy
Well I know he already got a 5.0 from a Mustang so that decision has been made for him. But did you mean the '97 Exploder with the GT40P heads? Why are you telling him to buy some roller rockers aint that what comes in those stock heads? And you forgot the carb, spacer, air cleaner, ignition module, ignition coil, wiring harness, etc. Also you mean 300hp at the crank not at the rear wheels with that combination right as the stock Explorers were rated at 210 hp to begin with.

Last edited by Gregski; 05-09-2011 at 08:58 PM.
Old 05-09-2011, 09:27 PM
rusty65
1st Gear Member

Found the answer to my question on a different mustang forum....

Here it is if any of you are interested:

"READ MY WORDS......... The Chevy version T5 WILL NOT bolt up to a Ford motor. The bolt pattern is different. The input shaft length is way different and the chevy version is canted 17* towards the drivers side.
If by some chance you fabricated an adapter plate to mate the 2 together then you'll need to figure out the speedometer cable as the chevy cable does not have the ford end on it and you won't be able to make that connection either. The O.D. of the input shaft is different between the 2 and the pilot bearing would have to be a custom piece as well. Also, because of the different o.d. of the input, a ford splined clutch disc would not fit it, you'd have to mix and match a clutch kit in order to make it work. Last...the shifter is not in the correct position to fit a mustang. The fox body mustang uses the 19 1/2" position which means that if you measure from the front face of the transmission, down the centerline of the tranny to shifter, it would be 19.500" back. Depending on what year Camaro the T5 came out of, it will not be in that location.

Hopefully this cleared up some of the mis-information in this thread.

Richard
Tech Support
Tremec TKO Transmission Systems"
Old 05-10-2011, 10:11 AM
OCHOHILL
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 2+2GT
This engine used stock 1.6 rockers, iron 67 heads, flat tappet hydraulic cam:

That is really good. I don't expect the OP to have identical results. Do you?
Old 05-10-2011, 10:13 AM
OCHOHILL
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by rusty65
Gergski - I picked up the motor already and am heading down to get the mustang on wednesday with cash in hand. However, even if the deal goes south for some unforeseeable reason i will still continue the build as i have other applications the 302 would work in, but i would more likely just continue the hunt for another suitable 65/66
We are kind of a big deal here. If you don't own a mustang, I am not sure you are allowed to post.

Can't we get him tarred and feathered for this? At least poke yourself in the eye with a stick.

Last edited by OCHOHILL; 05-10-2011 at 10:17 AM.
Old 05-10-2011, 10:30 PM
jgemperline
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by OCHOHILL
We are kind of a big deal here. If you don't own a mustang, I am not sure you are allowed to post.

Can't we get him tarred and feathered for this? At least poke yourself in the eye with a stick.
Haha! Agreed. But this has turned out a good thread. I'm subscribing. I'm planning something similar. I'm not going into the bottom end unless I need to ( leak down test shows problems). Im very curious about the head porting. If I do this should I go to the " ideal" port and if so what more would be involved? Why would you not go to this ideal shape?

I also plan to use all the stock head accessories. Is this ok?
Old 05-11-2011, 12:42 AM
Gregski
3rd Gear Member

If you don't own a mustang, I am not sure you are allowed to post.
I hear ya, it's the 11th commandment Thou Shall Not Post Mustangless, however he gets in on a technicality, the man does own an engine from a Mustang at that... untie him, LOL
Old 05-11-2011, 06:09 PM
rusty65
1st Gear Member

No longer mustang-less, went and bought it this afternoon! Ill try and take some pictures when i can find my camera and ive got a second.
Old 05-11-2011, 07:30 PM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

That is really good. I don't expect the OP to have identical results. Do you?
I don't see why not. The guy in question had never done anything fancier than changing a spark plug. He brought me one of his heads, and I port matched one of the outlets. He went home, and did the other seven to look like that one.

Quick Reply: '65 289 vs newer 302