Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Tips for media blasting an intake?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2011, 02:11 PM
hightower2011
4th Gear Member

Default Tips for media blasting an intake?

Hey guys,

I recently got my blast cabinet set up and have quite a few things I want to blast like suspension, brackets, hinges, etc. But I also want to blast my 1969 4 barrel intake to put it up for sale since I won't need it. As seen from the picture, it's not too clean but that can be taken care of.
Before I go blasting away, are there any tips or advice you guys have for me? Should I avoid blasting where the carb sits or will it be fine? BTW I'm using black diamond media. It's a relatively cheap product but I can't think of any issues it'll cause since this is heavy metal.
Thanks guys!

Pic:
Old 05-14-2011, 02:48 PM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Yeah. Pull the heat shield off the underside before you start. That area needs cleaning, and if you leave it on, it'll be an endless supply of media to destroy your engine. You'll need to put it back on, of course.

Use soap and very hot water to clean it when you're done, and blast it dry with air.
Old 05-14-2011, 03:12 PM
Rat fink
2nd Gear Member

Blast away, It's cast Iron.
Old 05-14-2011, 07:43 PM
mr_velocity
4th Gear Member

Is that for the 351 or the 302?
Old 05-14-2011, 07:45 PM
BuckeyeDemon
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by mr_velocity
Is that for the 351 or the 302?
the firing order on the manifold appears to be a 351w.
Old 05-14-2011, 07:50 PM
BuckeyeDemon
2nd Gear Member

i wouldn't blast it if i was going to sell it. a person looking for that manifold is probably someone restoring a car and thus they are going to want to paint it the blue they are using.

blasting is a pain. put your energy in the parts you are going to detail for your car.
Old 05-14-2011, 11:26 PM
hightower2011
4th Gear Member

Yep it's 351w. 1969 dated
I was going to blast it and take a pic of it bare. It looks like crap now and I think that might scare a few people off. I don't plan to paint it or even prime it.
Old 05-15-2011, 09:51 AM
JMD
6th Gear Member

If you blast it you will need to put something on it to keep it from rusting, it will rust almost instantly in GA....

For selling online, I would blast it and paint it Ford blue, imo this will help you sell it quicker and for a better price. (you should have about an hour in the thing at this point)

I use the Blue Diamond media for everything, never had any issues with it being too course. You will find that it will get less course with use. I just add a little new every once in a while to freshen it up.

You can blast the entire manifold, but like stated above the head shield will hold lots of crap, so either tape it up super good or plan on taking it off.
Old 05-15-2011, 09:59 PM
hightower2011
4th Gear Member

Thanks for the tips JMD. Glad to hear someone else uses Black Diamond so i won't have any issues.
I guess I'll just use some rattle can self-etching primer and then Ford Blue.

Last question, do I need to worry about damaging the threads to any of the threaded bolt holes on the top of the intake? And what about getting paint in/on them?

Just wanna make sure I don't make any mistakes.
Old 05-16-2011, 08:40 AM
JMD
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by hightower2011
Thanks for the tips JMD. Glad to hear someone else uses Black Diamond so i won't have any issues.
I guess I'll just use some rattle can self-etching primer and then Ford Blue.

Last question, do I need to worry about damaging the threads to any of the threaded bolt holes on the top of the intake? And what about getting paint in/on them?

Just wanna make sure I don't make any mistakes.
No, blasting wont hurt the threads, but it will fill the blind holes up.... just make sure that you empty the holes after you are done and before paint. A short blast with an air gun works fine for this.

Unless you put way too much paint on painting the threads wont matter either. You can always run a tap down the holes if you need to, or block the holes while painting with some old bolts.

Quick Reply: Tips for media blasting an intake?