Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Edelbrock heads engine overheating steam vent question

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 11:34 AM
jerthemost

Good idea on looking at the water flow with cap off. I will take a look. Mechanic has ordered gaskets, will be in Friday. Car should be ready by about mid week next week. Also ordered high flow thermostat. What do you guys think about cutting out the center of the gravel guard and line the edges with black plastic edgeing and put in piece of black expanded metal? Move tag to the side. This should give a lot more air flow to radiator. About 35% restricted right now with stock gravel guard.

Gaskets are on correctly already checked. My radiator looks indentical to the one in the above pic by 2+2 thanks for the pic. Very nice engine by the way.
Old 06-01-2011, 12:09 PM
jerthemost

Default Water flow direction appears correct but new question

The water flow does appear to be correct it is flowing passenger to driver side. And when at fast idle seems to be very good/fast flow but the water does seem to have a lot of air bubbles in it. Is this normal. It has a lot even at slow idle. I saw a couple of very big bubbles like it was burping.

Oh and rad does say FOMOCO on top and looks just like the pic by 2+2
Old 06-01-2011, 12:15 PM
jerthemost

2+2 is your radiator a 2 row and is it about 2" deep? That's what mine is. And what size fan do you have and number of blades and what is your normal temp in hot weather?
Old 06-01-2011, 12:34 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Does the level of coolant appear to be going down or staying the same?

Bubbles in the radiator like what you describe is usualy signs of a blown head gasket. Air from the combustion chamber entering the cooling system.

Is the oil still in good shape (No milky substance)?
Old 06-01-2011, 01:14 PM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jerthemost
What do you guys think about cutting out the center of the gravel guard and line the edges with black plastic edgeing and put in piece of black expanded metal? Move tag to the side. This should give a lot more air flow to radiator. About 35% restricted right now with stock gravel guard.

The water flow does appear to be correct it is flowing passenger to driver side. And when at fast idle seems to be very good/fast flow but the water does seem to have a lot of air bubbles in it. Is this normal. It has a lot even at slow idle. I saw a couple of very big bubbles like it was burping.

2+2 is your radiator a 2 row and is it about 2" deep? That's what mine is. And what size fan do you have and number of blades and what is your normal temp in hot weather?
Don't get crazy with fixes until the 'stat, gaskets, and holes are done. Besides, there's a large gap at the top of the valence panel to increase flow to the radiator.

Bubbles? No point in worrying about this until R&R of the heads.

I have a 3-row brass radiator, shroud, and 7-blade thermal clutch fan.

Last edited by 2+2GT; 06-01-2011 at 01:41 PM.
Old 06-01-2011, 07:53 PM
Starfury
6th Gear Member

If you want a better grille opening, just get a repro R-model valence. It'd be easier and cleaner than hacking up yours.

But like 2+2GT said, wait until everything else is done before worrying about that. I think you won't have any issues.