Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Rebuilding an late model 302 and looking for a decent distributor

Old 06-01-2011, 01:05 PM
scootchu
4th Gear Member

Default Rebuilding an late model 302 and looking for a decent distributor

My head hurts from looking and comparing distributors. I am going to do a re-ring on a 86 HO 302. The block looks good, no ridges,scoring and the main and rod bearings are just slightly worn. It looks good for a rebuild replacing bearings, gaskets and using the old flat top pistons and a set of either GT40 heads or E7 heads.

I am going to use the old Eddy intake and carb, but don't want to use the old dizzy. I don't want to break the bank.
Any recommendations and a steel gear with a roller cam correct?
Old 06-01-2011, 01:55 PM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Even a stone-stock 66-67 distributor can be curved to work very well on that engine (steel gear added, of course). A stock reman, carefully set up on a distributor machine, with, if you want, a Pertronix I unit, would be an excellent high-performance low-buck choice. Very stealth, too, potential competitors would assume your lack of a billet distributor and huge spark box would mean you have low performance.

Last edited by 2+2GT; 06-01-2011 at 01:58 PM.
Old 06-01-2011, 04:25 PM
mr_velocity
4th Gear Member

Had I known I would have given you this MSD dizzy instead of turning it into a really cool oil primer. Could have used a stock dizzy instead.

Old 06-01-2011, 04:30 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

go to autozone and buy a distributor for a 1985 Ford Mustang with a 302 and also buy the ignition box youll be setup for the roller cam and electronic ignition...

http://www.mustangsteve.com/conversion.html

Old 06-01-2011, 08:52 PM
JMD
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mr_velocity
Had I known I would have given you this MSD dizzy instead of turning it into a really cool oil primer. Could have used a stock dizzy instead.

It looks like fundage is not an issue in your house.....

I am more of a Mallory fan, but I couldn't bring my selt to the point of destroying an MSD distributor.... I am too damn cheap for that...
Old 06-01-2011, 09:11 PM
rmodel65
Yukon Cornelius

would have been a heck of a lot cheaper to buy a socket and an extension than to destroy a dizzy lol
Old 06-02-2011, 08:34 AM
mr_velocity
4th Gear Member

Scootch if you decide to go with MSD, I have a 6al box you can have. Couldn't figure out a way to cut it up and use it for something else.
Old 06-02-2011, 09:53 AM
scootchu
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mr_velocity
Scootch if you decide to go with MSD, I have a 6al box you can have. Couldn't figure out a way to cut it up and use it for something else.
Nice, Thanks for the thought. I like Rmodel's suggestion, but was thinking of something self contained like the Pertronix. Thing is there are a few models listed and they all look to be the same via their description.
Old 06-02-2011, 12:34 PM
kalli
6th Gear Member

well if you are looking at pertronix billet distributors you'd want one with pertronix II module, steel gear. so basically from what I gather you're looking at either of the ones starting with
D1307xy
the x is for male or female terminals
the y is for red and black cap colour

so
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PNX-D130700/
this one is female black,
D130710 is male black
D130701 is female red
D130711 is male red

when i first had my stock 289 i only wanted to get the module. but the shaft had play and the baseplate was loose. so I had to replace the stock distributor anyway and ended up with a pertronix II billet distributor (just with different gear).
I'm never sure if you need iron or steel, so I have to ask every time :-)

anyway I only had one problem with them. the vacuum advance canister screw was loose. the module got it's ground from there, so my ignition was cutting out every now and then (usually just when I started overtaking ...). took me forever to find that problem ... only after I took it apart. so just to let you know. check if the canister is tight ;-)
Old 06-02-2011, 01:38 PM
scootchu
4th Gear Member

Thanks Kalli, so it's the cap terminals and color that makes the different models? Holy crap.
You switched over to a Crane Cam distributor correct? Do you notice much of a performance difference in the two?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rebuilding an late model 302 and looking for a decent distributor