Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

Match Speaker to Radio

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 11:55 AM
GibMax
2nd Gear Member

Default Match Speaker to Radio

I've purchased this radio:

http://www.cjponyparts.com/CUSTOM-AU...966/p/USA630A/

I'm trying to get speakers to match. This has 240 watts. I assume 240 watts is 60 watts for each of the 4 channels. I see several speakers that I like but I don't understand my options well enough. I don't think I need a lot of power. I just listen to some classic rock and news at moderate volume. So, do I need to match to exactly 60 watts? Is that 60 RMS? Just looking for a little guidance for a beginner. Can I get speakers that are rated at a higher RMS? Is that better or worse?

Here is one speaker that has 60 RMS:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/JVC+-+6%...&skuId=2414173

Here are several more with different RMS ratings:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Pioneer+...&skuId=1348668

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Kenwood+...&skuId=9764366

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Pioneer+...&skuId=1750077
Old 06-05-2011, 05:33 PM
scootchu
4th Gear Member

Most stereo ratings are misleading so comparing apples to apples is tough. With that being said you want a speaker to be rated for the wattage a stereo can deliver and more.
What kills a speaker is distortion and when you drive a receiver to the point that it's clipping will cause damage. Overdriving any speaker can cause damage. That's the fault of the amplifier, not the speaker. Most all car receivers are really all around the same RMS of about 20 watts or in the ballpark.

Soooooooooooooooooo you should find a pair of speakers with decent power ratings, sound nice and then... look at another important spec and that's efficiency (sensitivity). That is how much power does it take to produce the same sound level. The higher the rating the louder the speaker will play in comparison to a speaker with a lower rating given the same power being applied.
Old 06-06-2011, 01:28 AM
Iskwezm
4th Gear Member

not trying to offend you, but heres the inside of your "claimed" 240 watts stereo.
Old 06-06-2011, 06:53 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

I would trust Iskwezm he's mr audio lol.
Old 06-06-2011, 04:48 PM
GibMax
2nd Gear Member

I think my question is much simpler. I see 240 watts for the radio. Should I avoid some speakers because they won't work. Would all of the speakers I listed work?
Old 06-06-2011, 05:24 PM
Iskwezm
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by GibMax
I think my question is much simpler. I see 240 watts for the radio. Should I avoid some speakers because they won't work. Would all of the speakers I listed work?
I was making a point to not belive what you read. The radio will have a average output of about 17 watts per channel.So do not get speakers that have a "high power" rating because the radio will not be able to drive them.
Old 06-06-2011, 05:33 PM
noroof66
3rd Gear Member

You would be fine with all those speakers. The first pair of Pioneer could handle a lot more, you could add a small amp to them and get some real nice sound. If you did not want to add an amp I would go with the second set of Pioneers.
Old 06-06-2011, 07:21 PM
scootchu
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Iskwezm
I was making a point to not belive what you read. The radio will have a average output of about 17 watts per channel.So do not get speakers that have a "high power" rating because the radio will not be able to drive them.
BUT if they are efficient you can drive them with just about anything regardless of wattage. For example Klipsch speakers are very efficient and can be driven with a tube amp that is less than a couple of watts. Just because they can handle high wattage/power doesn't make them harder to drive.

JBL's are notorious for being power hogs, less dB for more watts.

So you want a simple answer to a simple question, but armed with a little info you can make your own decisions on the fly. Sorry

JVC's - Peak power -310watts - Sensitivity 88dB
Kenwoods - Peak Power - 500watts - Sensitivity 89dB - 120 watts RMS
First set if Pioneers - Peak Power - 460watts - Sensitivity 92dB - 80 watts RMS
Second set of Pioneers - Peak Power -250watts - Sensitivity 90dB - 35 watts RMS

Using that receiver you bought I would go for the first set of Pioneers. They will play the louder with less wattage therefore eliminating the chance of frying your voice coils. MORE POWER in an amp is better for a decent speaker. Ratings Schmatings... a cheap amp will kill even the highest power rated speaker in no time if it is overdriven.

Last edited by scootchu; 06-06-2011 at 07:34 PM.
Old 06-07-2011, 11:38 AM
Iskwezm
4th Gear Member

I will not dissagree with anybody since everybody will have thier own opinion. I know that I will not sell those radios.If the customer wants one bad enough, i recommend a amp. I recenly "fixed" one in my buddies old Falcon wagon with 2 Pionner 5 1/4s and 2 Kenwood 6X9's. That was how it was brought to me. You could not hear the radio at freeway speeds. I added a 4 channel amp.

You will not notice 1-2dB, and i wouldnt follow the specs too closely unless you have a way of verifying them. Manufactures can print whatever they want and if you belive it, your their best customer.But again, somebody always knows more
Old 06-07-2011, 05:39 PM
GibMax
2nd Gear Member

Great guys. Thank you for all of the help. Now I feel better.

Quick Reply: Match Speaker to Radio