Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

more carburetor ignorance...

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2011, 04:09 PM
rusty65
1st Gear Member

Default more carburetor ignorance...

I know there is an endless stream of carburetor questions on this forum, but i just cant seem to find the information im looking for, and as a result this thread was born.

Im in the process of building a 302 for my 65 coupe from a donor 1989 302 HO motor and I want to run a carburetor instead of the fuel injection system the motor came with. Unfortunately I do not know much about carbs as i have been working with EFI's up to this point. My questions are as follows:

1) Should I be using a manual or electric choke?
-I live in Tallahassee, FL. Weather is fairly constant and very rarely gets below high 30s in the winter (with the exception of this last one which was one of our coldest on record), but can get as high as 110 in the summer.
-It will be my daily driver. Class, Groceries, Dates, and Donuts

2) Should I go with an adjustable float carb (http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HLY-0-80453/) or should I get a non adjustable float carb (http://www.summitracing.com/parts/HLY-0-80457S/)? (I am leaning towards the Holley carbs as they come with the ford kickdown plate and i am currently running the original c4 in my coupe)
-Once again, I dont know much about carbs so adjustable doesnt carry any immediate benefits, but since i plan on running it as my daily driver with a few-and-far-between trips to the track just for fun would the adjustable carry long term benefits since it will allow me to tune the carb down the road as ive learned to work with them?

3) I would like to use whatever carb I purchase on my old 289 while my 302 is being built, however, the 302 is going in with a t5 and the 289 has the c4. Would a Holley with a kickdown plate work with the 302/t5 combo once i take out the 289/c4 or should I just get one without the kickdown plate and hold off using it till the 302 goes in? Could the kickdown plate be removed once it goes on the 302?

4) Would a Summit Street&Strip Intake (http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-226031/) fit with either of the Holley carbs linked above? I have tried getting in touch with Summit but cant (which is weird since their customer service is usually exceptional, maybe its on my end).
-It seems to me that they would since the intake is meant to fit most 4 barrels, my only apprehension is that the intake has the split opening where the carb is mounted and, due to my lack of knowledge, I do not know if the Holley carb would need to mate exactly with that surface in order to function/perform properly.

Any advice/answers would be greatly appreciated, as well as tips on carb/intake combos that others have run on their 302 builds with great success.

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-25-2011, 04:44 PM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

1) Should I be using a manual or electric choke?
-I live in Tallahassee, FL. Weather is fairly constant and very rarely gets below high 30s in the winter (with the exception of this last one which was one of our coldest on record), but can get as high as 110 in the summer.
-It will be my daily driver. Class, Groceries, Dates, and Donuts
Even in FL you'll need a choke for a minute or two.

2) Should I go with an adjustable float carb or should I get a non adjustable float carb (I am leaning towards the Holley carbs as they come with the ford kickdown plate and i am currently running the original c4 in my coupe)
-Once again, I dont know much about carbs so adjustable doesnt carry any immediate benefits, but since i plan on running it as my daily driver with a few-and-far-between trips to the track just for fun would the adjustable carry long term benefits since it will allow me to tune the carb down the road as ive learned to work with them?
Why don't you just get a Summit carb? Easy install, works very well, comes with electric choke.

3) I would like to use whatever carb I purchase on my old 289 while my 302 is being built, however, the 302 is going in with a t5 and the 289 has the c4. Would a Holley with a kickdown plate work with the 302/t5 combo once i take out the 289/c4 or should I just get one without the kickdown plate and hold off using it till the 302 goes in? Could the kickdown plate be removed once it goes on the 302?
Um, there is no kickdown on a manual trans.

4) Would a Summit Street&Strip Intake fit with either of the Holley carbs linked above? I have tried getting in touch with Summit but cant (which is weird since their customer service is usually exceptional, maybe its on my end).
-It seems to me that they would since the intake is meant to fit most 4 barrels, my only apprehension is that the intake has the split opening where the carb is mounted and, due to my lack of knowledge, I do not know if the Holley carb would need to mate exactly with that surface in order to function/perform properly.
The Summit is based on a Holley design. You'll have no problem.

Last edited by 2+2GT; 06-25-2011 at 04:47 PM.
Old 06-25-2011, 05:16 PM
rusty65
1st Gear Member

my question about the kickdown is that i know i need it for the c4, but not the t5 so could i go with a carb that would work with the c4 and then re-use it since it would still be practically new on the 302/t5 set up when it goes in, despite the t5 not needing the kickdown? I cant imagine i would have any problems since it seems to me i could just remove the kickdown linkage and run with the new carb and no kickdown....

I may be missing some fundamental piece of information, but as i understand it now they work and function the same its just with a kickdown it allows the auto trans to downshift when needed to prevent premature wear.
Old 06-25-2011, 05:23 PM
rusty65
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by rusty65
my question about the kickdown is that i know i need it for the c4, but not the t5...
That is, a carb set up to work with a ford kickdown...
Old 06-25-2011, 06:07 PM
Oxnard Montalvo
4th Gear Member

The Ford 4100 is an excellent 4 bbl carburetor, somewhat correct for your car, readily available in two sizes, easy to rebuild and was made in the USA. In other words...It ain't Chinese.
You can install the dashpot (prevents an automatic from stalling when you take your foot off the gas) for the C4 and remove it for the manual. The linkage will hook right up, the hot air choke will too unless you install headers, but there are ways.

FORD 4100
Old 06-25-2011, 07:45 PM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

The 289 Mustang kickdown has nothing to do with the carburetor. It is part of the linkage. Use whatever carburetor you want, and the linkage will operate the kickdown.

Last edited by 2+2GT; 06-25-2011 at 09:11 PM.
Old 06-25-2011, 08:26 PM
67mustang302
6th Gear Member

This thread needs larger pictures. =\

One question I have, what kind of performance are you wanting out of a carb? Something that runs good and is trouble free, or something that's going to squeeze every last drop of power from your engine?(assuming you build an engine that's going to squeeze every last drop of power out).
Old 06-25-2011, 08:56 PM
2+2GT
6th Gear Member

Yeah, I forgot this forum doesn't automatically make thumbnails.

http://www.ford6v.com/images/65-66mu...ink%5B1%5D.jpg
Attached Thumbnails more carburetor ignorance...-69-70mustaccellink-1-.jpg  

Last edited by 2+2GT; 06-25-2011 at 09:15 PM.