Classic Mustangs (Tech) Technical discussions about the Mustangs of yester-year.

finding matching numbers????

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 08:33 PM
65vertable

Default finding matching numbers????

hi. i was just wondering how or where do i look on my 65 stang to see if i have 'matching' numbers? and what does that really mean anyway? that the eng,trans,body were all originally together? reason im asking is because this mustang i have is REALLY freaking me out... i don't know wtf i have! i could go on forever about its 'weirdities' but my main wonder here is... well i have a carb fuel leak and when i went to look at the list number i found a number reading 6r-1717-b.. holley 4bbl then i did research and found that that carb is very rare and was only put on 65-66 Shelby gt 350's.. and or cobra 289's (65-66) (k-code) so now im thinking that the engine may not be original. its painted blue. even oil pan + trans.. anyway what numbers do i look at to see if the engine matched the body and where do i find them?? thanks!!!
Old 06-28-2011, 08:41 PM
MustangFTW

check your vin either on the jamb of the driver side door or under the hood stampede on the top of the driver side fender post up here what numbers u get

Old 06-28-2011, 09:48 PM
65vertable

the Vin is 5R08A163681. i recall looking it up before and basically told me the car wasn't anything special. but since were on the subject. it has rear panel exit dual exhaust with the shaded tips.. looks like window shades 35%open.. or closed depending :/ it has a 4 speed, thinking T-10.. has an access plate on the side., with reverse being left and down, with a top-loader? shifter handle with the reverse finger switch. think that's off of a top-loader... the brake pedal said disc on it with the chrome circle.. but has front drum brakes... has the rally pac -rare gauges. but slandered non-gt gauges, no gt fog lights but also does not have the side trim that sits vertical on the rear 1/4's.. nor holes where they used to be.. but has the side kick panel chrome/steel trim that gt's didn't get. has styled steel wheels that only gt's got (i think) the alternator has the small non hi-po pully. but when i ordered belts for the engine, asked for 65 289 belts... both were wrong size even tho they showed for a 65 289. (no a/c). my father-in-law's half brother's dad bought the car new.. who shall RIP along with my mustang answers. he wasnt to car shabby to change things around, nor was his son... BUT i do have a box full of parts for a mustang one part includes an automatic shifter boot/console/PRD12 thingy along with a wooden shift **** with a horse on it and tail light covers.. maybe there were 2 mustangs?? i wish i knew. but how the heck does it have that exhaust?? gt only?!?!
Old 06-28-2011, 11:31 PM
65vertable

oh yeah.. is there a vin stamped on the engine? or a number that i could match and see if its the original engine?... hell maybe my door isnt original.... vin may not be right? need to look on fender post too i guess
Old 06-29-2011, 12:13 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

Matching numbers is a gm thing meaning full vin on the engine trans and rear end.Ford did a half vin on gt cars and the drag packages.On a early mustang that's not a gt or drag package its date code matching meaning the engine was casted so many months before the cars production date.
Old 06-29-2011, 07:55 PM
65vertable

crap that number i gave you was a tailor vin! sorry!! trying to find a vin on the car but i dont think there is one! so i guess there is no real way to tell if that engine was born with the car huh? the engine is blue with short valve covers. trans and oil pan are blue.. il have pics eventually!.. shouldn't the engine be gold?
Old 06-30-2011, 12:40 AM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

The vin is under the hood on the driver side fender there is a spot notched out will have a * some numbers and letters then another * that is your vin.On the engine pull off the starter and on the block there is a casting code post that they can decode it.
Old 06-30-2011, 08:06 PM
65vertable

cool. the cars at my dads. il check this weekend.. not sure about pulling the starter lol.. but if i end up not being able to free up this clutch then il pull it.
Old 07-01-2011, 10:18 PM
chrisboss429

Sounds like a lot of fun! Good luck with your mystery machine!
Old 07-02-2011, 11:27 PM
65vertable

HAHA wow... while trying to free the clutch today + carb work.. im guessing we over worked the starter... its spinning but not mating to the flywheel... so i guess starters gota come off anyway! doing that monday

Quick Reply: finding matching numbers????